PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best thing to use on my rims?

r0dxx
11-11-2004, 09:03 AM
Does anyone know the best product to use on Racing Hart C3 rims...They seem like they use to be alot shinyer now seem kinda dull.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/r0dxx/newpic1.jpg

They are alloy polished. I usually just use the nxt car wash on them but is there anything I can do to bring back the original shine? they almost have a yellowish tint now :(

JasonD
11-11-2004, 09:17 AM
NXT polish, AIO, VM, or something along those lines should help

andriver
11-11-2004, 09:17 AM
Start by washing the rims with a good wheel cleaner such as EO A2Z or Sonus. Follow the directions on the cleaner and do not leave it on the rim for very long or they will etch the wheel. Next clay the rims. Apply a good cleaner polish such as Klasse AIO. Seal the rims with a good sealant such as Klasse SG.

Maintain using a good car wash.

BTW nice looking Auto :up .

imported_Totoland Mach
11-11-2004, 09:35 AM
If they are not clear coated, you can bring back the brilliance with NXT Metal Polish or Mother`s Billet Cream (both very smooth, non abrasive polish for non-clear coated aluminum). I do regular polishing on my Halibrand style rims and found the NXT to last longer.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/13244nxt_techpolish_insideplusoutside-med.jpg

r0dxx
11-11-2004, 10:13 AM
How do i know if there clear coateD?

imported_Totoland Mach
11-11-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by r0dxx

How do i know if there clear coateD?

Apply a small amount of metal polish to a rag and rub on the rim in a small spot. The rag should immediately turn black from the polish removing the oxidized layer. If you get no black tarnish, you`re rims are clear coated. At that point, use wax products that you apply to the paint.

Pondscum
11-11-2004, 10:19 AM
Many alloy wheels are clearcoated these days. You can find out if they are by cleaning the wheels and then taking some polish on a MF and rubbing on a small area. Look at the MF. If it`s grey, then you don`t have clearcoat.

If the wheels are clearcoated, then you need to treat them with the same care as you would the rest of the car`s finish. Do not use any sort of metal polish on them.

The first rule is, never clean them when they are hot. Your cleaning routine depends on how often you clean them. If you clean them often, use a very mild cleanser such as P21S wheel cleaner, or just the same thing you use when you wash the vehicle. I use the cheap MF towels that Wal-mart sells to wash mine. If you don`t clean them as often as you should, you may want to use a more agressive cleaner like Eagle 1 A2Z (which works great on tires too).

As was previously mentioned Klasse AIO is a great polish/sealant to use on them a few times per year.