PDA

View Full Version : Need QD Advice Please

Pages : [1] 2

kevmo327
11-11-2004, 06:52 AM
This weekend I will be shooting a TV commercial for one of my clients and as part of it I will be using a fully restored 63 T Bird. I am not the least bit concerd about the car as I have an "A" list crew and the guy rigging the car has done this for 30 years...What I do need is some adive on some QD fro removing finger prints, smudges and making the paint really pop.

White95Max
11-11-2004, 07:09 AM
I think any QD will quickly remove fingerprints and smudges. I know Showtime specifically says it contains shine fortifiers, and I`m guessing the other QDs do as well.

sgo
11-11-2004, 08:40 AM
Adam`s Polishes Quick Detailer sure put a brilliant shine on my cars.

Accumulator
11-11-2004, 09:03 AM
Yeah, any QD that "leaves something behind" should work well. I would *not* use Meg`s #34, for instance, for this one, but rather something compatible with your LSP that will leave a little sealant/wax on the finish. That`ll give you the added "pop" you`re after.

Glossequation
11-11-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by kevmo327

This weekend I will be shooting a TV commercial for one of my clients and as part of it I will be using a fully restored 63 T Bird. I am not the least bit concerd about the car as I have an "A" list crew and the guy rigging the car has done this for 30 years...What I do need is some adive on some QD fro removing finger prints, smudges and making the paint really pop.

I`ll tell you, people will recommend a variety of QD`s, but honestly, Meguiar`s Quick Detail (consumer) and #34 (Pro) work very well for me. They seem to respond best with the Meguiar`s ultimate towel - that is - they are very absorbent and I do not need to go over a QD`d spot 3-4 times to remove it. Two passes and its free of dust, fingerprints, streaks, etc.

I did notice there`s one side of the Meguiar`s Towel that is more plush than another side - great for absorbtion.

JayC
11-11-2004, 09:33 AM
Tropi-Care QD if you`re using anything except Klasse, Sonus Glanz Spritz if you`re using Klasse.

For something you can just walk into a store and buy, the Mother`s QD is pretty good, too.

Raven
11-11-2004, 09:44 AM
I`ll throw Meg`s FD/FT and Clearkote`s QS into the mix, have used and like both very much.

Nates
11-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Another strong vote for quickshine

Wasatch
11-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Yeah, any QD that "leaves something behind" should work well. I would *not* use Meg`s #34, for instance, for this one, but rather something compatible with your LSP that will leave a little sealant/wax on the finish. That`ll give you the added "pop" you`re after.

Wondering why you would not use #34? I love that stuff and believe it can be used on any LSP.

imported_Interspy24
11-11-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by John Styrnol

Wondering why you would not use #34? I love that stuff and believe it can be used on any LSP.

I think #34 reduces the life of the lsp. I think the product works great, but I`d rather use something else that doesn`t take away from the lsp. I`m currently using Wipe n Shine and Showtime and prefer them because of this.

Wasatch
11-11-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Interspy24

I think #34 reduces the life of the lsp.

In want way? Does it wipe some of it off? Never heard of a QD doing anything like that before. Are there others in the same boat? Very interesting.

Glossequation
11-11-2004, 12:17 PM
I think Accumulator might be getting at the fact that #34 has no silicone/wax in it and as a result won`t spruce up your shine rather its intent is to remove light surface, dust, debris, etc.

Wasatch
11-11-2004, 12:31 PM
From the Meguiars website:

Its special high-lubricity formula actually encapsulates dust particles and enhances deep lustre-without using water. In just minutes, you`ll have a shimmering gloss that will turn heads.

As far as I can see it leaves my X pretty shiny. I still do not understand, what is #34 doing to my LSP.

Big Leegr
11-11-2004, 01:10 PM
I don`t think #34 is going to do much bad to your wax. #34 has no silicones (bodyshop safe) so it won`t add gloss like some others might. Nor does it contain carnauba, so it can be used on either a sealant or wax without affecting "bonding" of future coats. The back of the bottle does say that it has "Optical Brighteners for a high gloss shine" though.

As well, it says: "High lubricity formula removes dust, fingerprints, contaminants and fine scratches."

It isn`t designed to add to the longevity of your LSP (like a booster wax) or add gloss as some other QD`s might. For these reasons some people may not want to choose this particular QD for "showcars." However, if the car is properly prepared, #34 may indeed work well enough for removing smudges and fingerprints.

1 Clean WS6
11-11-2004, 02:22 PM
Meg`s #34 would be my first choice....ClearKote`s QS would be my second.