PDA

View Full Version : How Much UV Protection?

Pages : [1] 2

yankees1
11-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Most waxes, polishes advertise that their product contains UV protection . But, does a product have to contain a certain percentage before they can advertise this? Pinncale e-mailed me that their Souveran contains UV protection but I read somewhere that the Souveran UV contains a minimal amount. Another product I use is Klasse AIO and it contains much more UV protection according to the article I read. Is there an independant source that rates waxes, polishes according to the amount of UV protection?

imported_mirrorfinishman
11-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Maybe it is time for the major manufacturers of detailing products to get together and come up with a standard very similar to the way that sun block is numbered. The higher the number the better the UV protection.

White95Max
11-12-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by mirrorfinishman

Maybe it is time for the major manufacturers of detailing products to get together and come up with a standard very similar to the way that sun block is numbered. The higher the number the better the UV protection.

That would be a good idea. I`d be very interested in seeing the numbers.

Rob Tomlin
11-12-2004, 09:06 PM
But how big of an issue is UV protection if you have a clear coat anyway?

:nixweiss

imported_JellyBean
11-12-2004, 09:24 PM
That`s a very valid question you have (How Much UV Protection?), and you won`t get a straight, concrete answer. All you`ll get is a lot of speculation, or more questions

Allow me to rant a little. My major complaint about this hobby is how the products are marketed. Detailing products are marketed exactly as beauty products: a lot of fluff and little, or more often, no facts. The industry is totally unregulated and resellers (hate to call them "manufacturers") are free to exaggerate. And boy, do they exaggerate.

It`s only a matter of time before either the government steps in, or the resellers get hit with a class action law suit. And then the resellers will blame their problems on the "clueless government bureaucrats" or the "greedy trial lawyers." End of rant.

TW85 HHI
11-12-2004, 10:17 PM
JellyBean,

Face it, people only look at the appearance of a car, not the protection. 95% of the public will just look at a freshly detailed car and say, "It looks gorgeous." instead of "Finally, protection from harmful UV rays!"

Who is going to file a class action lawsuit, detailers? Most of us are after the perfect shine (don`t sue me David, LOL) and while protection is a priority, it is not the goal. The goal is for the car to look as good as possible.

I highly doubt the government will ever step in and take control of the detailing industry for anything other than VOC regulations.

yankees1
11-13-2004, 06:54 AM
I located on the internet that Zaino has a UV 40 in its polish but I cannot find the UV for Pinnacle Souveran which I now use along woth AIO Klasse. I e-mailed Pinnacle and all they would tell me is that all their products contain UV protection but would not supply any UV numbers.:nixweiss

mtodde
11-13-2004, 07:00 AM
I wonder if this is in the Guru Report. Can someone that has it let us know? Thanks

imported_mirrorfinishman
11-13-2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by yankees1

all they would tell me is that all their products contain UV protection but would not supply any UV numbers

In order to identify the amount of UV protection in our detailing products, maybe we should all email our product manufacturers and suggest that they need to think about numbering their products, similar to the way that sun block is numbered.

yankees1
11-13-2004, 09:41 AM

In order to identify the amount of UV protection in our detailing products, maybe we should all email our product manufacturers and suggest that they need to think about numbering their products, similar to the way that sun block is numbered. :up I agree!

ALAN81
11-13-2004, 10:02 AM
The less you know the happier the MANF are.They can say what they want but to prove it is a different story.Who is going to chase them? who is going to make them prove what they say? the FDA no i don`t think so

Rob Tomlin
11-13-2004, 10:37 AM

In order to identify the amount of UV protection in our detailing products, maybe we should all email our product manufacturers and suggest that they need to think about numbering their products, similar to the way that sun block is numbered.

But how would this work exactly? I might be wrong, but aren`t the numbers used on Sunblock meant to correspond to how much longer you can stay in the sun without getting a sunburn than if you didn`t have sunblock on?

I.e., a SPF of 10 means that if you could stay in the sun 10 minutes before getting a sunburn without the sun block, then you could stay in the sun 100 minutes with the sun block.

How would you correlate this to a car wax/sealant?

the other pc
11-13-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Rob Tomlin

But how big of an issue is UV protection if you have a clear coat anyway? A Clearcoat protects the colorcoat from UV but in doing so it takes the brunt of the abuse. Like Space Shuttle tiles, itâ€â„¢s a sacrificial coating. A layer of UV protective sealant/wax protects the clearcoat in the same way.

From what Iâ€â„¢ve seen clearcoated finishes may hold their color longer than single stage finishes but they appear to fail sooner. That shouldnâ€â„¢t be a surprise, clearcoats are thinner than single stage finishes.

Unlike the clearcoat, the sealant/wax is easily renewable indefinitely.

PC.

Rob Tomlin
11-13-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by the other pc

A Clearcoat protects the colorcoat from UV but in doing so it takes the brunt of the abuse. Like Space Shuttle tiles, itâ€â„¢s a sacrificial coating. A layer of UV protective sealant/wax protects the clearcoat in the same way.

From what Iâ€â„¢ve seen clearcoated finishes may hold their color longer than single stage finishes but they appear to fail sooner. That shouldnâ€â„¢t be a surprise, clearcoats are thinner than single stage finishes.

Unlike the clearcoat, the sealant/wax is easily renewable indefinitely.

PC.

Great points!

Thanks.

Jesstzn
11-13-2004, 07:50 PM
Waxes/sealants are prolly like protectants .. the majority of the UV protection claimed is in the reflective quality of the protectant not in an additive.