PDA

View Full Version : Sealant Comparison

Pages : [1] 2

Nickshades
11-10-2004, 12:12 PM
I was wondering what some pros recommend for a good sealant. I`ve used Klasse for a while and even putting on only about an ounce on a blackcar still shows straking/haze. I was looking at meguiars #20 sealant, but haven`t used it. Has anybody used this product and if so were the results the same/better/worse compared to klasse. Any other suggestions are welcomed too.

Thanks,

Nick

stevet
11-10-2004, 12:20 PM
I have used #20 and still do for door jams and under the hood. It`s easy on and easy off, very easy to use. Looks good and is very durable. It contains cleaners and cannot be layered.

Nickshades
11-10-2004, 12:27 PM
thanks for the info steve........any recommendation with that over klasse?

stevet
11-10-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Nickshades

thanks for the info steve........any recommendation with that over klasse?

#20 is easier to use and available local. Both look great on my silver. Klasse can be layered and lasts longer.

I use Klasse AIO and SG on the paint. I use #20 in the door jams, trunk jam, under the hood, and on wheels because it contains cleaners and I use it as a one step.

It depends on what you are looking for. If it`s ease of use and buying local go for #20. If you want more durability and don`t mind buying on line than Klasse. I have and use both :D

Nickshades
11-10-2004, 12:46 PM
thanks for the recommendation.......any problems with streaking of the product?

Brad B
11-10-2004, 01:04 PM
To clarify, both AIO and SG contain solvent cleaners. AIO contains more and stronger solvents in addition to some mechanical abrasives. It does not layer well because of this. Tales of dozens of Klasse layers are unfounded. SG will layer to a certain degree but this is limited.

#20 also contains cleaner solvents and doesn`t layer well.

All of the above offer long lasting protection with the edge going to Klasse.

When allowed to dry, and on a properly prepped surface, I have never had a streaking issue with Klasse Or M#20.

Nickshades
11-10-2004, 01:09 PM
thanks for the info. brad

imported_The Uncle
11-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Brad B.

To clarify, both AIO and SG contain solvent cleaners. AIO contains more and stronger solvents in addition to some mechanical abrasives. It does not layer well because of this. Tales of dozens of Klasse layers are unfounded. SG will layer to a certain degree but this is limited.

#20 also contains cleaner solvents and doesn`t layer well.

All of the above offer long lasting protection with the edge going to Klasse.

When allowed to dry, and on a properly prepped surface, I have never had a streaking issue with Klasse Or M#20.

SG contains solvents and doesn`t layer? Really? I thought SG layered very nicely.

JasonD
11-10-2004, 03:55 PM
I agree with AIO not being layerable, that is obvious but SG I`m not so sure about. I seem to remember one of the more popular guys on the board saying that he likes to use a minimum of six layers of SG!

eShine
11-10-2004, 04:18 PM
From what I know there are no cleaners in SG. SG is a pure sealant. As far as hazing on Black. I found if I let the layers cure 24 hours and do not use a product such as Sonus between layers there would be no hazing. I use the Sonus AFTER Iâ€â„¢m done with the Layers. I also believe that if you layer prematurely the previous layer is still curing underneath, when you layer on top this likely causes the hazing. If you are doing any of these give Klasse another try!

PS: I have over 50 layers on My Cobra........... I have friends with Black cars with 20+ Layers and you can swim in their paint, no haze. SG can be picky but its worth it in the end.

Nickshades
11-10-2004, 04:33 PM
chris - the hazing i noticed after one layer on top of AIO and i`m not sure why it does this

eShine
11-10-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Nickshades

chris - the hazing i noticed after one layer on top of AIO and i`m not sure why it does this

Its odd because I have had this happen to customers after the first coat also. It happens rarely but does happen. Its always on Black too. Then on the Flipside I have seen Black Klassed car that look amazing! I wish I could answer this. I wonder if they are bad batches of SG? Anyone else have this problem and found a cure? Did you try the WOWO method also? Im stumped after that!

Nickshades
11-10-2004, 04:58 PM
my method was to apply to the whole car by machine and by hand, by wipe off after the whole car was complete and if i remember correctly it wasn`t in direct sunlight either.

imported_Intermezzo
11-10-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by The Uncle

SG contains solvents and doesn`t layer? Really? I thought SG layered very nicely.

He didn`t say it didn`t layer. Quite the contrary. In fact, BradB. was one of the first folks to experiment with applying multiple coats of KSG with concours-winning results.

eShine
11-10-2004, 05:16 PM
Try letting it sit longer, even overnight. From personal experience this is what I have found. If I apply it and remove it quickly it turns out great. If I apply it and let it sit overnight and removed it, all is well. If I apply it and just let it sit for like 20 min or so its a MOFO to remove and caused me problems. Just my personal experience. I have personally done about 40 cars with Klasse. Even if I use my PC I do a panel at a time and remove it. I just recently did a black S2000 and we we were running out of time. I was applying the SG by PC wih two friends following behind removing it! We did the whole car, AIO and SG in 20 MIN! Heres the pics..

http://images7.fotki.com/v106/photos/1/108965/1323448/DSC_1318-vi.jpg