PDA

View Full Version : Warnings on SFX-1 and SFX-2 pads

imported_jaobrien6
11-10-2004, 11:02 AM
David,

I just noticed the warnings you have listed on the SFX-1 and SFX-2 pads. So these would be more aggressive pads than, say, the orange and green DAS pads? Based on the OPM limits you have listed, it sounds like you recommend very low speeds. For example, the SFX-1 pad you have a recommended limit of 3000 OPM. Since the PC goes from 2500 to 6000, I`m guessing that keeping it under 3000 means you shouldn`t go above 1 or maybe 2. Is that what you`re recommending? Have you actually seen damage cause by these pads on a PC (or equivalent) at higher speeds?

I have my SFX test kit on the way, and was hoping to get a little more information about this before trying everything out.

John

Bobby G
11-10-2004, 11:12 AM
John,

I put the warnings on the package b/c I don`t want someone to do something stupid.

The SFX-1 pad feels softer than the Sonus DAS Orange pad, but it has a little more cutting ability. I thought it was important to let users know that pad does generate heat at speed and the normal cautions apply. If you hold the SFX-1 pad in place at speed (rotary), it will burn your paint... it cuts!

I specified the safe operational limits for non-professional users.

imported_jaobrien6
11-10-2004, 11:31 AM
Ok, makes sense. I just wanted to see if it was a CYA warning, or something I should really be concerned about.

Thanks!

John

zainoshine
11-12-2004, 04:48 PM
In regards to the SFX-1 Pad, how severe would defects have to be to constitute the use of SFX-1 Polish and Pad? If there is a scratch (isolated) is it possible to use SFX1 on that one spot, not on the entire car? I just want to make sure what the products capabilities are....it`s still kind of blurry to me.

Carl

TW85 HHI
11-12-2004, 06:10 PM
Honestly, I did not notice much difference in cutting ability between the SFX1 pad and the DAS Orange pad. I used both pads on the same car with SFX1 polish with equal results.

pigeonbus,

You can use an abrasive polish on just certain parts of the car but you will need to follow up with a less abrasive polish to return the paint to normal condition. SFX1 leaves a bit of hazing (as expected, it is not a weak polish).

audipower
12-06-2004, 12:49 AM
Just got these pads and polishes and there`s alot of threads that are scaring me. People are writing it turns to "glue" like substance. Also others are saying it`s "horrible" to work with. If it worked for you how did you use it? I`m going to use it this coming up weekend for the first time and I`d appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Ryan

Bobby G
12-06-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by pigeonbus

In regards to the SFX-1 Pad, how severe would defects have to be to constitute the use of SFX-1 Polish and Pad? If there is a scratch (isolated) is it possible to use SFX1 on that one spot, not on the entire car? I just want to make sure what the products capabilities are....it`s still kind of blurry to me.

Carl

Carl, I just worked on some defects on a friends MBZ 190E (black). I used SFX-1 polish with the DAS Orange pad on the PC at a speed of 3.5. I noticed a bit of hologram effect after two passes, however, the damage from surface scratches and bird burns was gone.

I switched to the SFX-1 pad on another area to see if it would create the same holograming, and it didn`t. The pads have the same cut ability, but the SFX-1 foam breaks down the polish faster/better than the DAS Orange pad.

As far as spot work goes, I`m still waiting for the SFX 4" spot pads to come in. It should be soon.

Bobby G
12-06-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by audipower

Just got these pads and polishes and there`s alot of threads that are scaring me. People are writing it turns to "glue" like substance. Also others are saying it`s "horrible" to work with. If it worked for you how did you use it? I`m going to use it this coming up weekend for the first time and I`d appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Ryan

Ryan,

Start at a lower speed and 1.5 - 2.5 and use some good, firm pressure. As the polish begins to work in, turn up the speed. I work the SFX pad/polish in three different speed passes and it polishes out very nicely with little residue and no sling.

zainoshine
12-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Yes! As in a previous post I made, the SFX system is working great! So much gloss, VERY little hazing, if none, and SFX-2 is even better. Haven`t used 3 yet. I did a BADLY oxidized 98 F150 with heavy swirls and it took the oxidation right out. About 75% of the swirls were gone too, but they were so bad, it was probably best done with a rotary....which I don`t have, but this was the best available to me and it did fine!

It didn`t not "gum" or "glue" up and if you do two spritzes of QD every 3-4 times you load the pad with product it lasts long and gives you about 10 minutes to work it in, if you so desire.

Carl

imported_jaobrien6
12-07-2004, 07:51 PM
I wanted to chime in here as I`m the only one (to my knowledge) that`s posted about problems with residue being hard to remove. The polish did not get gummy at all while I was working it, in fact, it was very easy to work with. My problem was, when I was done working the polish, the small amount of remaining residue was very hard to remove. The end result was a nicely polished surface, and if I hadn`t had problems with the residue, I would probably continue to use the polishes.

I`ll be honest, I`m stumped as to why I had these problems, as no one else has since chimed in with a similar experience. That tells me it must have been my fault, but I`ve never had this problem before, and have not had the problem since, with other polishes. Overall, there have been more positive reviews than negative reviews for these polishes. I`d say, especially if you`ve already order them, don`t worry, give them a try, you could be very happy with them. They just didn`t work out well for me. I`ll probably give them another try when it warms up again, but I want to do only one last major detail before spring, and don`t want to mess around with the polishes again right now.

John

TW85 HHI
12-07-2004, 09:50 PM
I had the same problem(s) you did (I think I was the first to review the system). The SFX polishes work well but they are not user friendly IMO.

audipower
12-07-2004, 10:07 PM
I had somebody recomend me spraying distiled water or Sonus QD. They said spray the pad 3 times through out polishing the car. Maybe that would stop it. It`s suppose to be 36o this weekend so I don`t think I will get it done. My electric heater won`t help in my buddies garage, 40x30 garage.

TW85 HHI
12-07-2004, 10:13 PM
I tried water and a QD with no luck. :nixweiss

cheapshot
12-07-2004, 11:24 PM
How does the sonus orange pad compare to Meguiar`s polishing pad, How much more aggressive? Also being that the SFX-1 pad cuts more then the orange, Could the SFX-1 Pad be used with say DACP or SSR2.5? I am currently looking for a slightly more aggressive pad then Meguiar`s polishing but not nearly as aggressive as there Burgundy cutting. I`m looking to increase the aggressiveness of these compound/polishes with PC without increasing the micro marring. Thanks