PDA

View Full Version : SONUS PAD or LC?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Kyle
11-10-2004, 08:56 AM
2 questions

1)

I been using Meg & CMA pads with my PC.

I need to restock more since I`m currently in Japan but will be visiting US next month.

I can ask my friend to order for me.

Which one should I get at this moment? sonus DAS pads, Sonus SFX, Dual Action Pad Kit, or Lake Country (or other brands?)

I probably need to get the backing plate as well.

Any recommendation?

2) I have this white pads from CMA but I forgot if it is polishing or cutting pads. does anyone know this? it says 46-670VC CLASSIC MOTORING ACCESSORIES.

THANKS!!!

togwt
11-10-2004, 10:47 AM
~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations~

Porter Cable Flexible Velcro Pad Holder, a truly noticeable difference in a flexible plate. This 6" foam back plate is very pliable to the touch, and makes polishing irregular surfaces a breeze. It`s like a cushion and you`ll easily feel the difference when using it, as it seems to "float" across the surface. Its flexible construction is very lightweight which eases fatigue and absorbs vibration. Don`t let the lightweight fool you; its steel shank is moulded into its centre hub. Use the 6-inch flexible backing plate on 6.5 and 7.5-inch Lake Country Foam Pads or the 7.5-inch foam strips pads.

Always use a smaller sized Velcro backing plate then the Velcro foam pad you are using (i.e. a 6-inch Velcro backing plate and a 6.5-inch Velcro foam pad) Never use a Velcro backing plate that is larger then the Velcro backed foam pad.

Lake County (LC) Foam Specifications:

Engineered Durafoam pads are designed with various levels of abrasiveness (cutting ability) and are used as original manufacturers equipment OEM worldwide by Ford, GM, BMW, Daimler-Chrysler, Porsche, Audi and VW. They are the largest manufacturer of these foams and supply many re-seller companies.

Quality foam pads used for detailing are made from specially engineered German foam, created specifically for compounding, polishing and finishing. This foam allows air to circulate through the pad to reduce heat build-up; these foam pads do not require a ventilated backing plate

a)Standard- thermally reticulated polyurethane foam with a 99% open cell structure for lower temperatures.

b)Pre-polymer-with a 50% open cell structure

·Products â€Ëœdryâ€â„¢ at a reduced rate so that pad remains â€Ëœwetâ€â„¢ longer

·Reduces product â€Ëœbuild-upâ€â„¢ or caking so pad remains cleaner and usable fo longer

·Easier to control virtually eliminating pad â€Ëœskipâ€â„¢ that can occur when user comes to an edge or on vertical body panels

Foam Pad Selection:

Cutting (*Yellow):

LC Durastrand, this innovative "foam strips" pad is designed without a smooth surface. This enables it to hold a lot of oxidized paint without "loading up" or gumming up the surface like regular foam cutting pads. The hundreds of swirl-free foam strips reach every crack and crevice and hold a great deal of oxidized paint. This pad does not leave swirls, so there is no additional compounding (Speed # 4-4.5) Pad size-8.5-inch.

Levelling Pad (Wool):

Choose 100% twisted wool for your most aggressive compounding applications. This pad is ideal for applying metal polish to large metal surfaces such as diamond plate on trucks, aluminium trailers and aircraft. A wool-acrylic blend for light cutting, these pads will level surface blemishes and remove sanding scratches, and inexperienced operators should not use wool pads as they can leave swirl marks. For light compounding of fresh paint, get a superior finish with electrified sheepskin pads. (Speed # 4-4.5)

Medium Cutting Pad (*Yellow)-a harder more dense foam composition with an abrasive cutting action, for use with a medium abrasive polish, Machine Polish 1 or 2, Swirl Mark Remover, or Autoglym Paint Renovator Polish (Speed # 4-4.5)

Polishing / Light Cutting Pad (*Orange)-a mid range, high density foam composition with a medium abrasive cutting action, for use with a Swirl Mark Remover, Pre-Wax Paint Cleaner, Klasse All-In-One, or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (Speed # 4)

Polishing / Waxing Pad (*White)-a softer less dense foam composition with a light abrasive cutting action, for use with a Swirl Mark Remover, Pre-Wax Paint Cleaner, Klasse All-In-One, or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (Speed # 4)

Finishing Pad (*Black/ Gray)-a smooth foam that has no abrasive cutting ability, for use with Klasse High Sealant Gloss, Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, Zanio Z-2/ Z-5 or a Glaze (Speed # 3)

Concourse Finishing Pad (* Red) â€â€œthis ultra-smooth foam has no cutting or cleaning ability. This new, ultra-smooth European foam was introduced in 2004 for applying a LSP wax or paint sealant. This Hi-Gloss constant pressure, finishing pad glides over the surface creating a mirror-like shine. This pad can also be used for â€Ëœlayeringâ€â„¢ wax or sealant. (Speed # 3)

*The foam pad colour identifications and specifications are by Lake County Manufacturing (LC) (www.lakecountrymfg.com) this company uses European engineered foams specifically designed for compounding, polishing and buffing.

For safety reasons, Porter Cable recommends that the machine not be operated unless the pad or bonnet is flat on the work surface. This means both starting and stopping the machine while it is flat on the vehicle`s surface.

A word of caution when using foam pads, check the pad face for residue build-up, when loaded with dried product they have an abrasive action that could be detrimental to the paint finish. Clean residue from pads often with a soft horsehair brush, nylon or metal may damage the foam

To obtain the best results from the use of foam pads they should remain saturated with product, but remember that different foams will load up with compound / polish at different rates. Pressure applied should be even and kept to a minimum but just enough to ensure that the foam pad remains in constant contact with the surface. This ensures that the most efficient use of both the pad and product being used will obtain the desired results.

(From the Autopia website)

SONÃœS SFX Polishing System

I am pleased to announce the availability of the SONÃœS SFX Polishing System. Contest and availability details can be found in the Autopia Car Care forum area.

The SFX line is based on three new polishes and matched foam-polishing pads:

SONÃœS RESTORE (SFX-1) is a fast-action cutting and paintwork restoration polish. Use SFX-1 to cut and buff 1200 grit sanding marks (after paint repairs), heavy swirl marks, surface scratches, orange peel and severe oxidation. You may also use SONÃœS SFX-1 to repair the damage cause by water spot etching and bird droppings. This is the right polish to use when paint is in rough condition to the blend body shop repairs. It beautifully removes finish marring and restores aged finishes.

SONÃœS ENHANCE (SFX-2) is a buffered swirl-mark reducer and gloss-enhancing polish. Use SFX-2 to restore full gloss after compounding with SFX-1 or to remove fine scratches, swirl-marks and light oxidation. This is the right polish to use to maintain an as new on daily-use vehicles.

SONÃœS FINAL FINISH (SFX-3) is an ultra-fine show car polish and finishing glaze designed to produce exceptional depth and gloss on all new, like new and show car paint finishes. SFX-3 produces show car finish results on all dark colors and metallic finishes. With regular use, SFX-3 improves and maintains finish clarity for mirror-like results.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

imported_Kyle
11-11-2004, 08:03 AM
THANKS ALOT!!

now I have another questions.

1) Is Sonus DASã€â‚¬pad kit worth to get? I`m asking because I probably dont use Buffing Bonnet or Grey Pad. I rather get separetely (orange, blue, green) and buy extra blue & green.

Which one do you think worth it?

2) Which one is better pads? Sonus DAS pads or Sonus SFX Foam Pads? any recommendation? THanks!!

JasonD
11-11-2004, 09:21 AM
Just my opinion:

LC or Sonus = Sonus hands down

Sonus DAS vs. SFX = Don`t know, since I haven`t tried the SFX, they are too new to know for sure.

Even though you could use the SFX pads with anything you want, the SFX pads were specifically designed for the SFX polishes. The DAS pads weren`t designed for anything in particular orther than to be a step above the regular LC pads (which are still very good). I feel that the pad texture and overall construction is a grade better than the standard LC ones, and the SFX pads seem to be somewhere between the two, and again are only offering three pads vs. four.

Pondscum
11-11-2004, 09:25 AM
LC pads are a quality product, no question about it. They have a few different lines of pads. They have pads which have a divit in the center which are supposed to prevent product sling. They have variable contact pads which use different angles. They have constant pressure pads which use different materials for the top and bottom of the pad. I`m sure there`s a lot of people who like these pads. Personally, I like the newer Sonüs DAS pads. Their older pads used to have a recess on the back for the backing plate, the newer one`s don`t. I really like these pads. No gimmicks, they`re just a well constructed flat pad that I find works very well. You can`t use a 6" backing plate with these pads (at least not very well). You need a 5" one. Even pads that can use 6" backing plates, I prefer 5" backing plates. I`ve also found they hold up very well through repeated uses.

Glossequation
11-11-2004, 09:26 AM
Sonus Orange cutting pad is excllent. The LC cutting pad isn`t bad, but I just really did not like the concave construction. For PC users, splatter is not an issue like it is with rotaries.

MongooseGA
11-11-2004, 12:27 PM
The first LC pad I used left me with a bad first impression. The velcro literally started to come off of the pad after the 2nd use. My original model Sonus pads however, are still holding up just fine and I`ve had them since this summer. I`d say I`ve used them 8-10 times. My Sonus orange pad started to wear, but it was the one being used most often.

I haven`t tried my new Sonus SFX pad yet.

ramhunter24
11-11-2004, 06:02 PM
Were can we get our hands on the Sonus pads? What pads would you recommend with Menzerna IP/FP on a Black vehicle trying to remove spiderwebing?

mtodde
11-11-2004, 07:37 PM
My LC pads are good, the Sonus DAS is just better IMHO. I`ve recently tried Edge DA pads and like them too. Of the 3 brands I`ve tried the Sonus DAS has been my favorite.

I`ve used them with Poorboy`s SSRs, EX, PwC & EX-P.

m3 in estoril
11-11-2004, 11:42 PM
i got the das kit and i really dont know what to use for the blue and green pads.. they seem to do the same thing

i know orange = light cutting, swirls and stratchs

grey = final wax, klasse sg

also when u said pp on cuttin pad then polish pad on speed 5.. what polishing pad?

Eliot Ness
11-12-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by m3 in estoril

i got the das kit and i really dont know what to use for the blue and green pads.. they seem to do the same thing......

also when u said pp on cuttin pad then polish pad on speed 5.. what polishing pad?

Both the green and blue are polish pads.

The green is more of a traditional polish pad to be used with 1ZPP, DACP, etc.

The blue is a "lighter" polish pad geared more toward paint cleaning than defect removal. You would use this pad with paint cleaners like AIO or a very fine polish.

The world of pads is getting more complex as different levels of pads are now available. Instead of just a yellow pad for cutting there is now the orange pad for light cutting/polishing. Sonus offers the two grades of polish pads as explained above, and instead of just a grey or black pad for finishing LC now has a black pad for glazing and a red pad for finishing. There are yet other variations out there, but I just wanted to mention that with some of the new pads you may have to have someone clarify exactly which pad they were using, rather than just the color.

imported_Griz
05-14-2005, 03:31 PM
*Just dragging this post from the dead rather than starting a new thread.

TOGWT referred to the PC flexible pad holder a few posts earlier; does anyone know if this backing plate has a centering slot?

Thanks,

Jason

Lowejackson
05-14-2005, 04:23 PM
I am very happy with the SFX pads. They do feel as if they are way to stiff to be effective but in practice they work very well

Eliot Ness
05-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Griz

......TOGWT referred to the PC flexible pad holder a few posts earlier; does anyone know if this backing plate has a centering slot?

I think this is the BP Jon (TOGWT) was referring to:

http://www.topoftheline.com/polisher-back-plate.html

You may want to e-mail or call TOL and ask them, but I don`t think it does. If using LC 7.5" pads the BP will center itself fairly well in the recess of the Velcro:

http://www.topoftheline.com/7durvelpad.html

If using smaller pads (6/6.5") I would recommend a 5" BP.

JeffM
05-14-2005, 09:39 PM
I have the LC 6 1/2, 7 1/2-VC, and the DAS pads.

For PC use, get the DAS kit.

I also have 6" and 5" BP`s, stay with a 5" one.