PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on drying proficiency...

breakneckvtec
11-10-2004, 07:26 AM
Ok, so I made the mistake of wiping with the BBT when drying and paid for it in the form of some light swirling on my freshly polished car. We are coming into the winter months so unfortunately all I can do is deal with it and wait.

From now on I will be using the steady flow of water, PATTING the rest up with the BBT and then soft MF for final wipe if necessary. Live and learn.

This got me thinking though, whats the biggest pain when patting the paint? For me, its the constant switch between pulling and pushing motion, its tiring, and if you have ever done it before you run high risk of dropping the towel causing you to go slower.

I got to thinking, what could make this easier...without costing alot of money. I went to staples and saw some nice thick sized rubberbands. What I did was I took the rubberband and held it out to let it form its natural circle. Then you fold one end in toward the rubberband, and the other side in toward you over top of the other part of the towel, the rubberband should be looped around the two folded portions at this point. Then simply put your hand through the towel and rubberband portion, for me one twist and re-loop over my hand gave a firm hold. Now you can keep your hand flat, and pat the paint when drying with no worry of dropping your towel.

Only downside I see, is when you need a dry section you have to refold and band, but should take maybe 10 seconds more to secure to your hand when you get the hang of it.

Not sure it that was a good enough visual or not.

Finally a question, that has been asked before. Just put my mind at ease here. When spring hits I am going to polish the car out again. I am currently hooked on the SSR line of polishes. I think I will go with SSR2 and a white polishing pad for this task. Heres my question though, since owning my car I have probably polished it 4-5 times, once with SSR2 white LC pad, and about 3-4 times with SSR2.5 and LC yellow pad, and maybe even 1 time with SSR2.5 with LC white pad. Have I polished her too much? I am using the PC, usually at speed 6. I had to be more aggressive when I first got it because of the marring from the previous owner, but now that I got most of that out its just light marring from everday driving, so my style from here SHOULD stay less aggressive. Opinions? Thoughts?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to this.

sQuashed
11-10-2004, 08:06 AM
Have you tried a leaf blower breakneck?

breakneckvtec
11-10-2004, 08:34 AM
No, I havent

I may though.

Jesstzn
11-10-2004, 08:51 AM
I don`t pat mine dry .. what I do is I have a few 24 x 24 MF towels I got from JT International and after using the gentle stream of water to pull most the water off I take one of these towels and hold it by 2 corners and just pull it over the horizontal surfaces applying no pressure.

Once the towel seems saturated I get another and do the sides and a last one to predry the windows.

I then finish up with the WW I got from Ranney.

I have had extreemly good luck with this and no marring and the car is black. Mind you in the summer months mine seldom gets very dirty nor do I allow it to. I wash frequently.

The towels are used for nothing but this.

sQuashed
11-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by breakneckvtec

No, I havent

I may though.

I think you should. I first used mine on my Harley and it was a lifesaver, and now on the car. My neighbors think im a freak, but it does wonders. All you need is a couple small microfibers to finish off the job. Theres a good thread going on now about it right now..(one of many):xyxthumbs

Blowers VS compressors (http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46364&perpage=12&pagenumber=1)

AutoNova
11-10-2004, 07:40 PM
I use a California water blade to dry the car enough to get it into the garage, then I blow off the water with an air compressor. Lately I have also been using a leaf blower, actually a blower attachment that came with my Rigid Vacuum, this way all the water is cleared form bumper, side mirrors and handles as well as door jambs, it is easier than the compressor b/c I don`t have to wait for it to fill.