PDA

View Full Version : 3m Products

MENTALLY ILL
11-10-2004, 03:15 AM
I just finish using 3M PI-II RC 5973 with a rotary @ speed 3, the results are fabulous (no swirls or spider webbing) but I still have some mine scratchs on the roof and tailgate and acid water spots on the hood along with some scratches :mad: It`s a 03 VW GTI. should it I do another round with the same RC or switch to a 3M PI-II FCRC 39002 // 3M PI-III RC 5933in which both will be applied with a PC/DA Sonus polish pad @ speed 4.5??? After that a friend suggested I use 3M PI-FPPG dark 5996. To be real anal and having plenty of garage time I was wondering if it would be a problem to finish up using 1Z PP followed by 1Z MP to bring out the metallic and Race glaze sealant to protect and Pinnacle Signature series wax....Please help, Am I crazy doing all this :nixweiss will I have any bonding issues:rolleyes: I just want a beautiful car, scratch free swirl free mirror finish

Glossequation
11-10-2004, 06:55 AM
Try 3M PI III MG with a polishing pad for medium work like you described.

MENTALLY ILL
11-10-2004, 07:06 AM
I just check into MG

Notes:

3M Perfect-It III Machine Glaze

+ Quickly removes compound swirl marks.

+ Produces a high-gloss, swirl-free finish quickly.

+ Easy clean up.

+ Optimized for todayâ€â„¢s automotive paints.

5937 Quart, 12 Quarts Per Case

I dont have swirl marks???? will it remove lite scratches????

togwt
11-10-2004, 07:33 AM
3Mâ€â„¢s Machine Polish (Rubbing Compounds):

Are used to remove surface imperfections and are formulated with lubricants, solvents and water, and abrasive 0.3-micron granules, which diminish with use providing a progressively finer abrasive polish that will burnish the paint surface and provide a gloss. They are buffered or cushioned in a rich, lubricating oil film, usually in a semi-liquid paste.

Available in many different grades (the ability to abrade i.e. to remove levels of paint) for detailing work they usually range from a 2000< grit polish (very mild) to a swirl mark remover (a medium abrasive) 1500 grit or a compound (various levels of abrasive) 1000 â€â€œ 800 grit

a) 3M Finesse-It II Finishing Material Machine Polish 39003

b) 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound-Fine Cut 39002

c) 3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover 39109 (For light coloured vehicles) or 39009 (For dark coloured vehicles)

a) most abrasive â€â€œ (c) least abrasive

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

Accumulator
11-10-2004, 10:50 AM
MENTALLY ILL- I haven`t used the 5973, but I have used the 05933 (somewhat extensively) and the 39002 (less extensively). Between the two, stick with the 05933, but both are pretty mild and work well by rotary. I wouldn`t hesitate to use them on deeper marring, but (of course) you gotta use common sense and you might want to keep the speed down a little with them. And always do the "do you feel lucky?" thing before you tackle deeper marring ;)

The 05937 works great as a follow up, but like what you`re considering, I like using 1Z PP afterwards too. First with a rotary upon occasion (*low* speeds when using 1Z stuf by rotary) but usually just with the Cyclo. Then the 1Z MP. Gives a great finish, especially on metallics (best I`ve ever achieved).

I would: 05933 by rotary, 05937 by rotary (should eliminate almost everything), 1Z PP by Cyclo (should appear perfect), 1Z MP by Cyclo.

I`d use those instead of the other 3M stuff (the finishing glaze), and the results will be so impressive that you might want to think twice about what you put over them, it`ll look *that* good.

Oh, and IMO the 05996 is too mild to use after the 05933. Step down gradually from the 05933 (the 05937 is the best thing I`ve found for this).

AutoFreak615
11-10-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

a) 3M Finesse-It II Finishing Material Machine Polish 39003

b) 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound-Fine Cut 39002

c) 3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover 39109 (For light coloured vehicles) or 39009 (For dark coloured vehicles)

a) most abrasive â€â€œ (c) least abrasive

i use both FCRC and FI-II. i have noticed that FI-II is not as abrasive as the FCRC.

stevet
11-10-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by AutoFreak615

i use both FCRC and FI-II. i have noticed that FI-II is not as abrasive as the FCRC.

This is correct. FCRC is much more abrasive than FI-II.