PDA

View Full Version : climate and detailing

gav'spurplez
11-09-2004, 08:47 PM
detailing season is all but over for me. living in chicago i can only detail march-oct. if i am lucky. so someone refered to to a friend and she called today. i`m going to work on her car on monday, and it might be kinda cold. i know for wax/sealants, there might be an issue ( even though i used wolfgang on my car yesterday and applied it in the garage at about 42 degrees and had no issues ) but what about polishing and stuff ??

my boss is on vacation next week and i might just go to my job ( dealer service area ) and do it in there, where it is warmer. but if i can do it at home, that would work too.

any comments on the temperature aspect ??

Wasatch
11-09-2004, 09:44 PM
I worked on a car and my X two weeks ago, it was about 43-45 degrees. Washing was the most problematic, that water was freezing when my hands came in contact with it. After that all I did was QD both vehicles and dress the tires.

togwt
11-10-2004, 05:05 AM
~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations~

These are the temperatures and conditions that are relative to the application of car care products; the most important is the actual surface temperature of the vehicle. The other things that will have a direct bearing on this is the humidity as this will effect the cross-linking (cure) time, excess humidity will also affect â€Ëœhowâ€â„¢ a wax or sealant dries (i.e. it may cause hazing or clouding of the surface)

The other climate related condition that should be avoided when applying car care products is direct sunlight, as this will dramatically increase the surface temperature compared to ambient temperatures causing the product to dry prematurely and may render it ineffective.

1. Surface Temperature (Actual surface temperature of the vehicle)- 60 â€â€œ 80oF products will work well within a much broader temperature range, (50° to 90° F) but the best results will be achieved in the 60° to 80° F range surrounding air temp (ambient or room) must be 55oF + to ensure minimum vehicle surface temperature of 50oF.

2. Ambient Temperature (Outside air temperature)

3. Relative Humidity (Moisture content of the air)- RH 50% +/-10%

4. Inside Air Temperature (Room Temperature) 70 â€â€œ 75oF +/- 10oF and 50% relative humidity +/- 10%

5. Air movement or windy conditions will increase the evaporation rate but potentially make some products more difficult work with, especially sprayed products. Perversely this can lessen wax / sealant drying time.

In summary, the ideal conditions for the application of car care products; cool and dry, away from direct sunlight, a surface temperature between 60° and 80° F, 50% RH or lower humidity, and a light air movement.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

Bobby G
11-10-2004, 08:14 AM
When I made an abrupt move to Washington, DC (from sunny San Diego), I had to learn new ways to keep my car clean in winter. I simply couldn`t stand seeing the salt and road film all over my car for weeks at a time. This was 1984 through the early 90`s, and detailing sprays did not exist at the consumer level.

I managed to get through winter by sponge washing my car with luke warm (room temperature) water and a small amount of car wash. I used heavy rubber gloves to keep my hands warm. I found that I could wash in temps down to about 35 degrees (light or no wind). I would use one 5-gallon bucket of wash water to wash the car and refill the bucket again with fresh water to rinse. It`s important to have a very large sponge, because it`s the only way to get water on your car.

With the advent of protective car wash shampoos and protective detailing sprays, I think the task of washing and protecting your car in winter is a little easier. I`ve already had a few people report back to me that using Sonus Gloss Shampoo for sponge bathing the car works well. You can make your own low suds, protective shampoo by adding 1 ounce of Klasse Sealant Glaze to 5 gallons of wash water, then add a normal amount of your favorite wash shampoo.

Protective detailing sprays can also be used down to about 35 degrees (light or no wind). Use the detailing spray after a sponge bath to wipe down the car and restore full gloss. One of the problems with washing in cold weather is water spotting. The air is often dry, so the car will dry fast. The detailing spray will take car of this problem.

db

gav'spurplez
11-10-2004, 09:17 AM
thanks for the replies. i have washed my car and my parents cars in about 30 degree weather with the multiple 5 gallon bucket system. works well.

but if it is too cold, like 40 or so, i`ll do it at work. but if it around 45 or 50, i`ll do it at home in the garage :D