PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable Polishers

dheel
11-03-2004, 09:46 PM
Was looking at the different models of PC polishers. Is there a difference in the 7336 and the 7424? Lowes has the 7336 for 99.00. If I got the PC at Lowes, what would I need to make it a car polisher? Do you just need to screw in a six-inch backing plate then attach 6.5 or 7.5 inch velcro pads? Then I see there are flexible backing plates also. What is best? Thanks.

JaCkaL829
11-03-2004, 09:54 PM
Yes the 7336 and 7424 are the same machine. The only difference is the 7336 has a 6" CW and the 7424 has a 5" CW. The 6" CW is what you would want so I would get the 7336 at Lowes. From there you need a back plate and some pads. I`d recomend getting one of the back plate/pads starter kits. A number of sponsers of this forums have good prices on them. Heres the one from Autogeek http://www.autogeek.net/bf100.html Also make sure to use coupon code "detailcity" for a 10% discount. The PC is the hands down best investment you can have for detailing especially for newbies.
btw Welcome to Detail City!

dheel
11-03-2004, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the response.

CharlesW
11-03-2004, 11:10 PM
Before you order a backing plate and pads, you might want to check out the quick connect system that "The Edge" uses. If I didn`t already own so many velcro pads I think I would probably be trying their system.
Here`s a link to the Edge page at PAC.
http://www.premiumautocare.com/ed20dafopafo.html

Charles

BookemDano
11-03-2004, 11:55 PM
Yes the 7336 and 7424 are the same machine. The only difference is the 7336 has a 6" CW and the 7424 has a 5" CW. The 6" CW is what you would want so I would get the 7336 at Lowes. From there you need a back plate and some pads. I`d recomend getting one of the back plate/pads starter kits.

Strong second on this option. Getting a backing plate/pad kit is very important for a first-timer. There are several types of LC pads sold by different on-line vendors. The backing plates for each one sometimes differ. Getting a kit eliminates this issue.

This is the backing plate\pad kit that I bought - a 6" LC Constant Pressure pad kit - from www.properautocare.com:

http://www.properautocare.com/hipadkitwive.html

I was very happy with this combination, but I wanted more flexibility. So I upgraded to their 7.5" pad kit. The 6" is excellent. the 7.5" is even better.

Good luck,

Dan.

dheel
11-08-2004, 10:13 PM
All the different pads has me a little confused. I need a 6" backing plate since the PC 7336 comes with the 6" CW... What size and type pads would be recommended to use? The VC type, which are concaved would have to be 7.5", which some sites say are for the experienced user. Which is confusing since the concave would make the backing plate not likely to hit the surface.
...Here is flat 6.5" pads and 7.5" VC`s - http://www.topoftheline.com/polisherpads.html
Any suggestions?

perry
11-13-2004, 09:52 AM
All the different pads has me a little confused. I need a 6" backing plate since the PC 7336 comes with the 6" CW... What size and type pads would be recommended to use?

Not necessarily. I have a 7336 that I use a 5" backing plate and 6" & 6.5" pads with. Works just fine. It is quite confusing when you`re trying to make your first order!

kimwallace
11-13-2004, 10:04 AM
I have the model 7336 and I started out with the Meguiars Pad System. 5" backing plate with 6.5" pads. It is a good combination, size wise, for safety (backing plate not hitting painted surfaces. and allowing a little flexability to the edgeas of the pads. I had a couple issues with the backing plate velcro failing so I swithed to the Edge 2000 system. I like the pads much better because they do not absorb as much product as the Meg`s pads do. The Edge system does however create a little more vibration at speeds above 5 on the PC. I especially like being able to take the Edge pads off the rotary and place them on the quick connect adaptor on my rotary buffer and have the pad centered each time. A lot of it is personal preference, so good luck?

NYV6Coupe
11-13-2004, 06:51 PM
General rule of thumb is a 7424 or 7336 with a 6" counter weight can use a 5" or 6" backing plate.

A 7424 is usually max`d-out at 5" backing plate with a 5" counterweight, though there are people that put up with the vibration of using larger pads on a 7424 with 5" counterweight.

I have a 7336 & started out with the LC 6" cupped pads and LC 6.5" flat pads & liked the 6.5" more `cause PC`s generally don`t sling product if your start/stop with the pad on the surface (recommended) so there`s no "need" for a cupped pad.

Eventually I tried the LC 7.5" Variable Contact pads and liked them even more `cause the backing plate sits in a recessed area of the pad & eliminates the possibility of the backing plate contacting mirrors, spoilers, trim, etc...

The recessed area also automatically centers the pad if you`re using a 6" plate & the beveled edge allows you to transition from panel-to-panel easily and these pads have the best velcro attachment of the LC pads that I have.

RUBigDog05
11-13-2004, 08:05 PM
I jsut bought the 7336 at Lowes myself. It was only $99 but I bought the extended plan for a total of $115. I registered online to receive a 10% off coupon but got it a few days after I bought it. I need to find my receipt and print the coupon to get some money back. I haven`t used the 7336 yeat but I bought the Meguiars start up kit from premiumautocare.com that came with 3 pads and the backing plate. I`m gonna use that for a while and then probably get the Edge kit. BTW...buying the polisher at Lowes is A LOT cheaper than getting it somewhere elese in my opinion. USE THE 10% detailcity discount at PAC. PAC has some fast shipping too. I just wish I would have got something free with my $160 order, like the free gloss enhancer that is on the website or at least a sticker or a business card to let people know I only buy the best products. oh well..just my 2 cents