PDA

View Full Version : Initial Thoughts on Sonus SFX

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

TW85 HHI
11-09-2004, 04:05 PM
I`m using the Sonus SFX system on a perfect candidate, a heavily swirled/scratched and dulled Camry. I am still working with SFX1 and while it definitely gets the job done, the dust it produces is horrible. The dust clings to the car requiring a wipe down after each section.

I need to finish with SFX1, then follow up with SFX2 and if need be, SFX3. I`ll post my impressions as I take breaks. :)

mtodde
11-09-2004, 04:26 PM
Man...it was 6 when you posted...are you working in the garage?

Staying up until 3:30 to do schoolwork so you could work on a car all day...now that`s Autopian!

TW85 HHI
11-09-2004, 04:28 PM
Yes, I took my mom`s stall. LOL

Here is a picture of the dust created by SFX1. I have not touched that particular door or window since I clayed the car. It`ll take either a QD or water to remove the dust.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/18119dust.jpg

JasonD
11-09-2004, 04:55 PM
You can also use a California Duster to get it off. It`s pretty hard to find a very aggressive polish (light compound) that doesn`t dust. I wouldn`t worry too much about the dust of the SFX1, but I would like to know if the other polishes dust just as bad because that would just be a pain in the butt.

mtodde
11-09-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

You can also use a California Duster to get it off. It`s pretty hard to find a very aggressive polish (light compound) that doesn`t dust. I wouldn`t worry too much about the dust of the SFX1, but I would like to know if the other polishes dust just as bad because that would just be a pain in the butt.

You are right about that...SSR 2.5 dusted like mad a few weeks ago when I used it...I`m still finding little spots of dust in crevices.

JasonD
11-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by mtodde

You are right about that...SSR 2.5 dusted like mad a few weeks ago when I used it...I`m still finding little spots of dust in crevices.

Yep, that`s the pain in the butt I`m talking about. When I was doing that black Honda over the weekend, I was using 1Z UPP and I had forgotten how bad it dusted and I was tempted to rewash the car after that step but ended up getting most/all of it off with the duster. Being a bit windy outside helped out a little too, but the only problem with that was that I had to dust off my Expedition afterwards! :angry

TW85 HHI
11-09-2004, 05:15 PM
I did a black truck with SSR2.5 and do not remember having a dusting issue. If SFX2 dusts as bad as SFX1, I will be tempted to use SSR1 to finish up the polishing.

I cannot remove the dust with a dry microfiber and slight pressure...how would a California Duster help? LOL

I`ll do a complete review with pictures after I complete the car. Good thing I have the car for as long as I need it, as I do not think I`ll get beyond SFX2 tonight. I`ll be staying up until 3:30 or 4 again so I have all day tomorrow to work on the car. :D

Oh, one thing I question is if these products have fillers in them. There is a slightly oily residue left behind, even after the product fully hazes (my test). Misting a MF and then wiping the surface only spreads the residue. :nixweiss

David will get the review he asked for but as of now, I am preferring the SSR line.

JasonD
11-09-2004, 05:17 PM
You mean the dust is actually *sticking* to the surface? The dusting I was referring to is actually like *dust* and wipes right off with minimal effort. High humidity may be playing a roll in this too and that will make it stick a little.

TW85 HHI
11-09-2004, 05:19 PM
Humidity is pretty low right now at 44%.

JasonD
11-09-2004, 05:20 PM
And the dust is actually *sticking*?

imported_jaobrien6
11-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by TW85 HHI

Oh, one thing I question is if these products have fillers in them. There is a slightly oily residue left behind, even after the product fully hazes (my test). Misting a MF and then wiping the surface only spreads the residue. :nixweiss

In another thread, David said that these polishes do not have any fillers. I have my SFX test kit on the way, and will be posting results by the end of the weekend, if all goes well.

John

TW85 HHI
11-09-2004, 05:37 PM
In the picture I posted of the dust, it is literally sticking to the paint and glass. It is not "sling."

If there are not any fillers, I would sure like to know what the residue is from. It is not marring as I can make finger marks in it.

I`ll try SFX2 on the hood and see how it is. If it is anything SFX1, I will switch to Poorboy`s. Poorboy`s did not give me the trouble I am having with SFX.

Right now, all I can say is that the SFX line must be like SG in that it will work great for some and be a living hell for others.

mtodde
11-09-2004, 05:44 PM
Are you using the Sonus pads too? Did you clay first?

I`m wondering if you could have pad breakdown or possibly residue from old wax being removed....Do you have another cutting pad you can try with it to see if changing the pad makes a difference or if a second pass is just as bad?

Just a few suggestions to help evaluate the product. I have read of problems with DACP where it either wasn`t worked long enough or was worked too long...with that color it should be pretty easy to see it break down.

Hang in there!

Todd

TW85 HHI
11-09-2004, 06:06 PM
I`m using the SFX1 pad. There is a pad for each SFX polish. I have the standard Sonus DAS cutting pad I could try...

JasonD
11-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Hey, why not? David gave you the kit to try it out and post your findings. Why not try out every avenue possible? I say go for it and see if it makes a difference.