PDA

View Full Version : Are all applicators the same?

Pages : [1] 2

thedarksyde
11-09-2004, 11:51 AM
It seems like even MF towels are not all created equal...

So what about applicators? Are those the same? Can I just buy Yellow, green and blue pads at Auto Zone? Or do I need to order them too?

Alsow what are each used for specifically?

Yellow for cutting?

Green for Lighter Polish?

Blue for sealant/wax?

zzyyzx
11-09-2004, 11:57 AM
Different manufacturers use different colors, especially once you get off the main brands. But yes, there are differences in the pads. You can look and feel how some are more aggressive (the cutting, usually yellow) and some are more dense and smoother for less agressive needs.

Glossequation
11-09-2004, 12:17 PM
For wax use the Viking applicators with the hand grip!

Pats300zx
11-09-2004, 01:57 PM

So true. Those things are great. For sealants and NXT Booster Spray I have been using the Pakshak Micro Fiber apps. They let me apply things very light, thin, and fit in your hand perfectly.

thedarksyde
11-09-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by blackcaraddict

Link?

Eliot Ness
11-09-2004, 03:16 PM
This isn`t the Viking applicator, but there will be a couple of these on my next order from here on Autopia:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/vk-101.html

stevet
11-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by blackcaraddict

I don`t get good results with these for some reason. Last time I went over the border I picked up 5 of these from Auto Zone. They are huge and don`t fit into most paste wax containers (#16 excluded). I can`t seem to get even coats of product with them either. I have better results with the Megs foam app. Maybe I`m doing something wrong but they just don`t work well for me. I have tried using them with SG, EX-P, UPP, s100 Wax, #16, and Insulator wax.

I find for thick products and paste wax foam apps work best. MF apps work better for thin watery products like SG.

thedarksyde
11-09-2004, 04:43 PM
So just a good MF polishing towel for SG? I can do that.

stevet
11-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by thedarksyde

So just a good MF polishing towel for SG? I can do that.

I use a MF applicator. I suppose a MF towel would work, never tried it.

debric
11-11-2004, 07:01 AM
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck.......

stevet
11-11-2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by VIKING

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck.......

Who are you talking to and about what?:nixweiss

debric
11-11-2004, 07:42 AM
Those handi-grip apps are VIKING but re-branded

imported_pugoman
11-11-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by stevet

Who are you talking to and about what?:nixweiss

I think VIKING is hinting to the fact that the Autopia Handi-Grip applicator is infact made by Viking... ;)

Glossequation
11-11-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Pats300zx

So true. Those things are great. For sealants and NXT Booster Spray I have been using the Pakshak Micro Fiber apps. They let me apply things very light, thin, and fit in your hand perfectly.

Your hand also doesn`t cramp up from trying to grasp a flat disc that tends to fold over if you go to quickly. I like the somewhat dense foam and construction of the Viking...

Glossequation
11-11-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by thedarksyde

Link?

Go to any Autozone they have them as does Autopia - even though it doesn`t say "Viking", you`ll notice the product number gives away who the manufacturer is.