PDA

View Full Version : Any advantage to using warm or hot water?

Pages : [1] 2

ExplorerXLT95
11-09-2004, 06:13 AM
I was listening to a radio commercial the other day when I heard a commercial for a local car wash. They stated that they were "the only ones in the area who use warm water".

So that got me thinking...

Is there any advantage that you can think of that would come from using warm or hot water?

Personally, I`ve never heard of such a thing. :nixweiss

zzyyzx
11-09-2004, 06:25 AM
Keeps your hands warmer in the winter?

With the car wash formulas, I don`t know if it makes any difference. When you wash other things (i.e. dishes & clothes), hot water seems to break down the dirt quicker. But that`s just my observations. I was actually thinking of washing my car this week and hooking it up to my laundry sink if they weather remains cold.

paco
11-09-2004, 06:57 AM
Don`t go too hot. Warm is probably sufficient. The rapid temperature changes if it`s below freezing and you hit the car with very hot water could be an issue.

Gonzo
11-09-2004, 06:57 AM
All my life, I`ve only used warm water for the soapy/sudsy part of the wash. Rinse is always cold. I guess that is because that was the way my Dad did it. Now it is just automatic. Besides cold wash water would play HE@@ with my arthritus.....

a.k.a. Patrick
11-09-2004, 10:58 AM
I love using warm water ! But its not an option thats easily accessible ! To me it seems like warm water cuts a little better, just like it does in household traditions like washing walls, plates, showers etc......

Pondscum
11-09-2004, 11:17 AM
The hotter the water is, the better it will clean. There is definitely a limit to how hot you should go. I wouldn`t wash a cold car in the winter with anything warmer than lukewarm water. If the water gets too hot, it will be more likely to wash away natural waxes. Warm water rinses better also.

togwt
11-09-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by ExplorerXLT95

I was listening to a radio commercial the other day when I heard a commercial for a local car wash. They stated that they were "the only ones in the area who use warm water".

So that got me thinking...

Is there any advantage that you can think of that would come from using warm or hot water?

Personally, I`ve never heard of such a thing. :nixweiss

Heated water breaks down water-soluble soiling faster as it reduces overall chemical usage because it reduces the surface tension of the fibre. Heat acts as a catalyst promoting quicker reactions between chemicals and the soil.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

tom p.
11-09-2004, 12:06 PM
"hot" water is a great way to speed up wax removal.

raymond_ho2002
11-09-2004, 12:44 PM
In general, most chemical reaction rates double for every ~10 degrees the temperature is raised. I assume this holds true for the effectiveness of detergents.

-Raymond

Accumulator
11-09-2004, 04:05 PM
Sure, I use warm water for all the reasons mentioned. Though I forget the molecular-level details from my Jr. High chemistry, it`s basically what TOGWT and raymond_ho2002 said. Same reason clothes in the washer, dishes in the dishwasher come out cleaner if you don`t use cold water.

And in the winter, warm water does a much better job of dissolving salt (again, for the same reasons).

Prometheus
11-09-2004, 05:18 PM
Warm seems to work better in my experience. We (my dad and i) kind of cheat though, when were redoing the plumbing at my parents house a few years ago, to one of the garden hose nozles we but a T by it connected to the hot water heater. All we have to do is turn the valve by the T, and voila! Warm water out of the garden hose... Tell you what, it makes those winter washes MUCH easier, (i live in northern Michigan if that tells you anything)

STBear
11-09-2004, 07:39 PM
I usually use warm water this time of the year through the winter. I connected the hose to the laundry tub to get warm water. I plan to use QEW more this winter and will only need the hose to knock down the heavy salt.

foxtrapper
11-10-2004, 04:35 AM
Saponification takes place more rapidly in warm water.

But for claying, I`ve found cold water to work better.

DaGonz
11-10-2004, 07:14 AM
I use warm water when detailing in the fall.. even though I wear nitrile gloves during the wash and detailing process, you can still feel the cold through them, on a crisp morning..warm water is better and easier on the hands;)

percynjpn
11-10-2004, 08:10 AM
In the winter, I always wash with WARM water (not HOT). I find that it definitely breaks down dirt better than cold water. On the rinse, I don`t think it`s necessary, though a warm rinse would probably make it easier to dry.

HOT water would surely be an issue for the longevity of the wax/sealant.