PDA

View Full Version : Any advantage to using warm or hot water?

Pages : 1 [2]

Mochamanz1
11-14-2004, 09:01 PM
Hot water on a cold window is a definate disaster. I use warm water in the summer, lukewarm in winter, almost cold if its chilly.

togwt
11-15-2004, 06:09 AM
HOT water would surely be an issue for the longevity of the wax/sealant. [/B][/QUOTE]

~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations~

Question: Why? Please elaborate

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

percynjpn
11-15-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by TOGWT

HOT water would surely be an issue for the longevity of the wax/sealant.

~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations~

JonM [/B][/QUOTE]

Why? I don`t know. I`m not a scientist, but I know through experience that hot water can - and does for many waxes/sealants I`ve used - reduce their durabilty somewhat (relative to what it would be if the car was washed only with cold or warm water).

raymond_ho2002
11-15-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by foxtrapper

Saponification takes place more rapidly in warm water.

I`m pretty sure you didn`t mean to say saponification..

Originally posted by TOGWT

HOT water would surely be an issue for the longevity of the wax/sealant.

Partly for the same reason why baking your car under the hot sun will reduce the longevity of your wax. It also has to do with my earlier statement that chemical reactions in general double for every 10 degrees the temperature is raised. Wax/sealants are worn down every time the car is washed, partly due to mechanical action, and partly chemical, from detergents in the soap solution. Therefore the rate of deterioration while washing would increase with the increase of temperature.

togwt
11-16-2004, 06:08 AM
[~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations~

1: I`m pretty sure you didn`t mean to say saponification..

A: Saponifiers [: to hydrolyse (a fat) with alkali to form a soap] Hopefully the soap is formed before you use it

2. Partly for the same reason why baking your car under the hot sun will reduce the longevity of your wax. It also has to do with my earlier statement that chemical reactions in general double for every 10 degrees the temperature is raised. Wax/sealants are worn down every time the car is washed, partly due to mechanical action, and partly chemical, from detergents in the soap solution. Therefore the rate of deterioration while washing would increase with the increase of temperature. [/B][/QUOTE]

A: I stated â€Ëœheatedâ€â„¢ water not something you could compare to the heat of the sun

Carnauba wax melts at 180oF and Beeswax melts at 130oF thatâ€â„¢s the main reason heat effects their durability

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

OI812
11-17-2004, 08:14 PM
Just to mention on the point of hot water working better then cold. A lot of area`s in the country have hard water, and when a softner is installed the hot water system is usually on soft water. Soaps and cleaning in general is easier, and done better with soft water. I personally have a dual hose bibb on the back of my house, one side is cold hard, and the other is cold soft.

Intercooled
11-17-2004, 08:28 PM
If your using warm water in the winter and the temperature is just near freezing, be careful. Once the warm water losses its temperature it will freeze quickly because it has less oxygen than cold water at the same temperature. (if that makes an sense to you).:o

OI812
11-17-2004, 08:50 PM
I have heard that so many times that hot water freeze`s faster then cold water. Frankly I don`t think anyone knows. Do a search on it, even the scientist agree to disagree. Is it that the warm or hot water has evaporated off so there is less to freeze? It certainly takes more energy to freeze 120 f water, the it does to freeze 50 f water.

lbls1
11-17-2004, 08:54 PM
I like hot water washes in the winter. As long as the temp isn`t below 35 degrees, then you should be ok.

I`ve found that hot water is more active in cleaning than lukewarm or cold water. I`ve heard pros and cons, but in the winter, if you want to avoid the car wash, then hot water is more than a good alternative. The water should not be so hot, however, that you can`t dip your hands into the bucket. It will take considerably longer to wash your car if that`s the case.

PS: Hot water will not disturb your wax, as long as the wax has been on the surface at least a few weeks.