PDA

View Full Version : Air Compresser Vs Leafblower

Pages : [1] 2

imported_liam
11-09-2004, 02:03 AM
I have done multiple searches on Leafblower, and found many good threads, however, none of these treads seem to mention the possiblity of using a air compressor as an alternative?

i would think that an air compresser would be the better option because:

A) the nozzle is much smaller and can get into small cracks and crevices

b) can generate Huge amounts of air pressure (think around 180PSI for a good oe)

C) are pretty cheap

D) and can be used to power air tools like drills, sanders, and maybe even a rotary.

what do we all think?

BookemDano
11-09-2004, 03:16 AM
I have a small air compressor and find it useful for some things - drying my car isn`t one of them. I use a Toro 215 mph leaf blower for drying.

An air compressor uses provides high pressure, low volume air. A leaf blower provides the opposite. The Toro provides 270 CFM of air flow while a decent size air compressor only provides about 5-7 CFM of air flow.

Also, my little compressor will only blow air full blast for about 30 seconds and then it starts dying. You`ll need a very large tank on your air compressor to do much good.

So, to get an air compressor that is powerful enough and with a large enough air tank, it will be stationary and fairly expensive - as in several hundred dollars.

My little Toro leaf blower cost $60 at Lowes. It`s also very handy to quickly blow off my driveway when I don`t want to drag out my gas blower.

I think they are both very useful, but not for the same things.

BTW, if you get a leaf blower, don`t forget hearing protection. I got a small headset type that look like these for about $6.00 (at Home Depot, I think):

http://www.storesonline.com/site/606795/product/SS-HP350-1001

I keep them on a small hook just below my leaf blower. They work great.

Good luck with your choice.

Regards,

Dan.

Pats300zx
11-09-2004, 04:01 AM
I use a Toro 215 mph leaf blower for drying.

I have the 195 mph version. Its awesome !!!! Exactly what I need to dry the car with. Follow up with a Pakshak Waffle Weave and I am ready to go.

jimmybuffit
11-09-2004, 04:09 AM
I`ll simply second BookemDano`s comment. I have both. The Toro is really quite a tool!

OTH, the compressor is invaluable for interior blowing; the Toro is sorta `overkill` on the interior...

Jim

eShine
11-09-2004, 05:03 AM
I wouldnt dare put an air compressor nozzle in a crack. If you use it that close to paint you will blow paint off the car.

kompressornsc
11-09-2004, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Jimmy Buffit

OTH, the compressor is invaluable for interior blowing; the Toro is sorta `overkill` on the interior...

Jim

I did the leaf blower on the interior last weekend. I do bad things in my car & man, did that blow out the ashes from under the seats! Made a mess of the rest of the interior though. When I was doing it, kinda had that `snow-globe` look going on inside.

splattj
11-09-2004, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by eShine

I wouldnt dare put an air compressor nozzle in a crack. If you use it that close to paint you will blow paint off the car.

You can adjust the air pressure down to a reasonable pressure to blow out an enclosed area. The blower attachment for an air compressor doesn`t put out a whole lot of air and the diffuser that is on the nozzle most likely wouldn`t allow a concentrated enough stream to blow paint off the car anyway. You`d have to have the pressure turned up absurdly high.

Also remember that air pressure and volume are not the same thing. The volume of air that comes out of one of those nozzles doesn`t even come close to what a $25 leaf blower will produce.

Air compressors are handy to have though. If you do buy one make sure it`s oil less.

If you don`t use an oil less compressor it will put atomized oil into the air stream and make a mess all over your paint. I have an oil less 5hp 20 gallon and I use it to get air out of the rocker panels, body molding, and door handles. I still hand dry the car before chasing any water out of cracks and crevices.

RJJ
11-09-2004, 05:33 AM
Don`t use a compressor far too much of a chance to `blast` the finish with the associated stuff that CAN be in the tank, ie, manufacturing debris, rust, really disgusting stagnant water (remember Legioneers (sp?) disease??

togwt
11-09-2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by RJJ

Don`t use a compressor far too much of a chance to `blast` the finish with the associated stuff that CAN be in the tank, ie, manufacturing debris, rust, really disgusting stagnant water (remember Legioneers (sp?) disease??

~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations~

A compressed air outlet should use an oil/water filter on the line before the outlet.

Water has to be very stagnant to cause Legionnaires disease and that same air has to be introduced into your respiratory system (i.e. breathing the air from an HVAC system that has stagnent water in the condenser drip tray)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

Accumulator
11-09-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by eShine

Not if you use common sense. I`ve been doing this since I was a kid in the early `70s and I`ve never had a problem. But you do need to use common sense around trim, etc.

Originally posted by RJJ

Don`t use a compressor far too much of a chance to `blast` the finish with the associated stuff that CAN be in the tank, ie, manufacturing debris, rust, really disgusting stagnant water..

As ToGWT said, a good setup will have filters and draining the tank is part of routine maintenance. I have filters both at the tank and at the hose hookups and I check/change them often. No problems.

I`m not sure how you`d filter the output from a leaf blower. Using a dedicated on for the car is one thing, but the ones I use in the yard aren`t getting anywhere near my vehicles. The blower would be better for drying than the compressor though. I use the compressor to get most of the water off the S8 (in addition to using it in the nooks and crannies) and it`s not perfect by any means. And yeah, a good (think suitable for a commercial shop) compressor setup isn`t cheap. Handy though, especially if you have some air tools.

Don`t mean to slam the people cautioning about the compressors...you *do* have to have the right setup and use it properly. Just don`t want people to think that it`ll necessarily cause problems no matter how you do it.

andriver
11-09-2004, 09:35 AM
I use an air compressor with no problems.

zzyyzx
11-09-2004, 10:03 AM
I like using compressed air (the kind in cans for computers & electronics) to get around emblems and in cracks that I can`t otherwise get to. I like the idea of the leaf blower, although I`ve never tried that or the compressor.

BookemDano
11-09-2004, 10:48 AM
The Toro 215mph blower has two settings. One full speed and one about 1/2 speed.

meGrimlock
11-09-2004, 12:23 PM
I saw this mentioned in an older thread: http://www.symmic.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=170

Seems like it`d be a little easier to manuver around a car.

imported_liam
11-09-2004, 09:32 PM
thanks for all your input ppl, i have a lot to think about now.. :P