PDA

View Full Version : Cyclo vs. PC - Pros, Cons, Differences?

Pages : [1] 2 3

JasonD
11-08-2004, 09:28 PM
I`m sure this topic has been discussed many many times in the past, but I think it`s about that time to do it again. I`ve been noticing a lot of newbies asking about the Cyclo, and I myself would actually like to know a little bit more.

I will start this off in saying that the main difference between the two is that there are two smaller *heads* on a cyclo vs. the one big one of the PC. The motion of the heads seems to be the same type of motion as the PC (from what I have been told) and also that the Cyclo is gear driven and can`t be bogged down (thank you Scottwax for that info).

So what other differences are there? What is the benefit to using a Cyclo over a PC, or is there? Anyone that has input on this, please add as you like. It will be appreciated by everyone. :xyxthumbs

Bill D
11-08-2004, 09:56 PM
HereÃâ‚â„s a repost, hope this helps

Originally posted by mgm121499

Scott, Bill, etc.. who have used the cyclo vs the PC:

1) how much quicker does product break down -in general compared to using a PC? I`m already familiar with the difference in a PC vs. a rotary and it`s significant.

2) Do you get a lot of sling/splatter, have to tape off the vehicle before use?

3) Do you use less product, spend less on pads, etc..

4) What are the cyclo limitations?

5) What are your top 3 likes & dislikes?

6) If you had to choose between a PC and the cyclo what would you pick?

7) If you had to choose between a cyclo and a rotary, which would you pick?

My answers to those 7 questions:

1)IÃâ‚â„m find the Cyclo to break down polishes a little bit faster than a PC but not quite like the rotaryÃâ‚â€I suspect this has to do with the amount of heat generated

2)Nope, no sling unless say you picked up the Cyclo too early after laying down too much polish

3)I think overall you could be using a tad less product and definitely the pads cost less

4)The Cyclo still is no substitute for a rotary, well, unless these upcoming pads can indeed promise near rotary results on * light * defects

5)My likes are: the machine doesnÃâ‚â„t bog down, it seems to deliver somewhat faster results on my Audi clear, I like the smaller, cheaper pads. I also appreciate the craftsmanship of the machine in general. ItÃâ‚â„s important to note there is at best, only a small learning curve to this tool as well.

I dislike: the Cyclo cannot fit into tight spaces/changes pad size like a PC or rotary, itÃâ‚â„ heavier than a rotary, there is no case I know of avaible for it

6)I do wish I had purchased the Cyclo first instead of the PC, it seems my paint on both my cars respond better to it

7) Of course the answer depends on the degree of the defect, no doubt for significant defect correction, the rotary

Accumulator
11-09-2004, 08:49 AM
On the thread that sorta prompted *this* thread, ScottWax posted

while the cyclo heads to seem to spin and oscillate at the same time, they do lay down a pattern very similar to the PC.

And he`s right in that the pattern isn`t completely circular the way a rotary`s pattern is. But as best I can tell, the *way* the Cyclo achieves this is somewhat different (more directly gear-driven), hence the lack of bogging.

Bill pretty well covered the PC/Cyclo comparison and there isn`t a whole lot I can add to my innumerable posts on the subject. Heh heh, I *will* repeat a bit of stuff though....

I like the way the Cyclo handles (and its general build quality) so much that I truly *enjoy* using it. But the PC is something I put up with, I don`t actually like using it.

The PC can cover large areas faster in some cases and I often use it for LSP application. That, plus the way it can better deal with certain tight spots and panel contours, and the ease with which it can do spot repairs using a single 4" pad are the only reasons I ever get it out. Oh, and the variable speed, which lets me slow it down for use with AIO (the Cyclo flashes it a bit fast for my taste). So there are four reasons why a PC is still useful even if you have a Cyclo.

The panel contour/tight spot issue is the only reason (besides cost) that I can imagine recommending the PC *over* the Cyclo. The Cyclo just couldn`t do many areas of my XJS, I had to get a PC or do much of it by hand.

Using the Cyclo is good practice for a rotary. The general design/handling is somewhat similar and you can practice the "keep it moving, don`t let it pause at the end of each stroke, etc." techniques that will serve you well when switching to a rotary.

And yeah, the Cyclo has a nice steep learning curve. As with the PC, anybody can get the hang of it in no time. Since I find the control (the switch) and the handling of the Cyclo so much better/easier, I`d say it`s even *easier* to master than the PC.

wash_me
11-09-2004, 10:13 AM
I have a Cyclo but I never use it because buying pads are a pain. When I need a new pad I don`t want to wait a week but maybe someday well be able to buy them at Walmart.

imported_CARFREAK
11-09-2004, 11:54 AM
I have a Cyclo and a PC7424 and am glad to have both.The Cyclo is very quick over large flat surfaces but a little cumbersome in the tight stuff.First time you flick the switch it`s a little alarming because it is so fast but you soon get used to it.I find the two head format makes it very stable,particularly on vertical panels and the big surprise is how nicely balanced it is.You soon start using it one handed and almost doing tricks.

The 7424 is a nice little machine that can get most places,has variable speed but I don`t think it will outlive the Cyclo.Also over here I have to lug around a heavy transformer to use it and an annoying extension cord whereas the Cyclo plugs straight in.If I lived in the USA,I would probably reach for the 7424 first.

Pads are no problem for either,there are plenty around and I have them here in about a week.

Bill D
11-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Wash_Me

I have a Cyclo but I never use it because buying pads are a pain. When I need a new pad I don`t want to wait a week but maybe someday well be able to buy them at Walmart.

Isn`t that true with most premium, available only online detailing products? If you shop a website that carries Cyclo pads, not a big deal.

Forget Wal Mart, if you really want to try to find them locally you`ll need to look for them in a good paint and body supply store that sells a wide variety of pad sizes.

JasonD
11-09-2004, 05:01 PM
So the Cyclo`s speed is somewhat faster than the PC?

Are the chances of *damaging* the paint increased, decreased, or the same as a PC?

How easy/hard is the cyclo to handle on vertical surfaces, since it seems to be bigger and heavier than a PC?

imported_CARFREAK
11-09-2004, 05:11 PM
At a guess and I could be wrong here,the Cyclo feels like Speed 5/6 on the PC.It is daunting when you first turn it on but you very soon get used to it and it feels right.

It looks unwieldy at first but with little use,it becomes like finely balanced tool.I soon started going one hand.I find it more stable on doors than the PC not that the PC is bad,of course.

imported_CARFREAK
11-09-2004, 05:16 PM
PS I don`t think there is any chance of damaging the paint with either unless you a baboon or pick up a rock!RO`s are nowhere near as dangerous as a rotary because of their gentle orbital action.I have a rotary and it can be scary.

Actually,I seem to have less damage using my RO`s than by hand and the finish is infinitely better.In my limited experience,you just can`t do it as well by hand.

JasonD
11-09-2004, 05:19 PM
Okay.....so if the cyclo is basically just a PC with twin heads running at speed 5 or 6, how is it *better* than a PC? Finish wise I mean.

imported_CARFREAK
11-09-2004, 05:23 PM
I never said the Cyclo gave a better finish than the PC.Both do as well as each other and better than by hand.

Both my Cyclo and PC are indispensable detailing tools to me.

Bill D
11-09-2004, 05:25 PM
If you have paint like Audi`s you`ll get better, faster results that a lot of sweat, cursing and time would take via PC. That said, it`s no rotary or miracle tool, still takes some time but seems to do a better job correcting at a dual action level than the PC; at least for me.

JasonD
11-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by LWR

I never said the Cyclo gave a better finish than the PC.Both do as well as each other and better than by hand.

Both my Cyclo and PC are indispensable detailing tools to me.

I apologize, I didn`t mean for that question to sound like it was pointed directly to you. I was asking in general, because I`ve heard so many people say it in the past. Keep in mind, I`m asking for everyone`s benefit not just mine. So when my questions sound a little redundant, it`s because I`d like people to able to refer back to this post and find all the info the need on a cyclo vs. a pc.

Originally posted by Bill D

If you have paint like Audi`s you`ll get better, faster results that a lot of sweat, cursing and time would take via PC. That said, it`s no rotary or miracle tool, still takes some time but seems to do a better job correcting at a dual action level than the PC; at least for me.

And that`s why I was asking why some people thought it was *better* than a pc.

I must say that this machine sounds extremely interesting. Would you guys all agree that the cyclo CAN produce a more show quality finish over the pc? I was originally thinking about getting a rotary for horizontal surfaces, but am not thinking about the cyclo instead and then graduating to the rotary later on.

Bill D
11-09-2004, 06:33 PM
Yeah probably especially with more difficult paint. It is a heavy duty crafted machine, just read Accumulator`s reports, it will take A LOT of abuse and last a LONG time.

Accumulator
11-09-2004, 07:13 PM
As Bill D said, some paints are so hard that you can spend forever with a PC, speed 6/wool/RC and never correct defects that a rotary will fix (I`ve done it, literally worked one panel for hours, used almost a whole pint of FCRC with no real results). In those cases, the Cyclo will sometimes do the work on its own, and even when it doesn`t get all the marring out, it does a *lot* better than the PC.

The Cyclo`s speed is listed at 2,800-3,200 depending on load. Interesting that it`s considered so much "faster" than the PC, which goes up to 5-6K orbits, huh?

As for quality of finish, the Cyclo seems to break down products faster and more completely than the PC. Not that I`d use rotary-only products with it, but it still does a better job at breaking down abrasive polishes, which will at least make for less follow-up work. PI-III RC, for instance, is virtually ready-to-wax when done with the Cyclo, much better than with the PC or by hand.

I`ll sometimes finish up with a PC just because it *is* more gentle than the Cyclo, so it cuts both ways. But IMO that`s not something anybody really needs to worry about. With the wider selection of 4" pads that`s becoming available, I`ll probably end up doing almost all of my polishing by Cyclo (only using the PC on the Jag).

JDookie- I can go either way on the "which to buy next" question. A rotary will do stuff that only a rotary can do. But mine doesn`t get used much while the Cyclo gets used all the time. If I didn`t have the hard Audi clear to deal with, I could do maybe 95% what *I* want/need to do with just the Cyclo and PC. And I wouldn`t worry about the other 5%, but that`s just me, working with *my* situation and what I want to accomplish.