PDA

View Full Version : PC thingy and that other spinning thingy..

djsway
11-03-2004, 07:44 PM
Ok so,
I`m totally confused about a porter cable and that other machine thingy that you can buy at Target for like $20 bucks. I`m trying to graduate from hand waxing to a machine. What do you guys suggest? I have a white 04 bmw. :)

Beemerboy
11-03-2004, 07:50 PM
A PC will do a much better job than the 20 special from Target. They are two different things. The PC is an orbital buffer almost impposible to mess your car up. Which you can use all differnt knds of pads of differnt reasons.The other is more of a wax spreader than anything. If we are talking about the same thing

rollman
11-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Thingy ! Buffers or in the case of the PC a Random orbitial polisher or thingy as you call it :bigups.
Spend the extra bucks for your Bimmer and buy the PC .

djsway
11-03-2004, 07:55 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002INUKW.16._AA260_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Will this do? $34.99

TW85
11-03-2004, 08:07 PM
Depends on what you want it to do. If you want burnt paint and trim and holograms, then yes, it`ll do. Start out with a Porter Cable 7424 or 7336.

wifehatescar
11-03-2004, 08:55 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002INUKW.16._AA260_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Will this do? $34.99
Don`t waste your money.

Either go with hand application only or get a PC with pads (~$150-200 total). Not alot of money to care for a $30-40k+ car.

Big Leegr
11-04-2004, 09:51 AM
I really doubt you`ll burn your paint with a $35.00 ROB (Random Orbital Buffer). If you put too much pressure on it, it stops moving. It oscillates, so there isn`t much heat built up.
If your car is in good shape (should be if it`s an `04) and you don`t plan on removing swirls (again-with white, you might not notice it too badly and if you wash it properly, you shouldn`t need to worry much about inducing huge amounts of swirls) this buffer might suffice. It`s made to help spread wax, not correct major defects. It`s made for the "weekender" rather than the enthusiast. It`ll help you work in a cleaner wax longer and more evenly than you likely would by hand.
Biggest problem you`ll likely encounter with this buffer is getting good quality bonnets. Look for foam. Some terry bonnets are of a poor enough quality that they can marr the paint. And as to the "wool" buffing bonnet, most "modern" waxes don`t need to be buffed much after the product is removed, and these too can marr the paint if they aren`t of a good quality.
Stay away from the "paper" ones.

I would say that if you don`t know if you`re going to go crazy with detailing, then try this buffer. It`s only $35.00 and if you do end up getting enthusiastic about detaling, you can move up to a DA polisher. (not the same as a rotary).

TW85
11-04-2004, 10:07 AM
That is a ROB he posted?

CharlesW
11-04-2004, 10:39 AM
Some of the people here are going to get tired of seeing this.:D

A repost from early 2003. Still reflects my feelings.

The following is some of a post I made quite some time ago.
It still reflects my feelings, even after several months have passed.

Several years back, I purchased a Wen 10" orbital buffer. It had an amperage rating of over 3 amps, but I don`t remember the exact rating. The only reason I mention it is to point out it was not really lacking in power. I used it some for the first 2 - 3 months I owned it and after that it stayed in the box, unused, for several years. This summer, I tried it again. Back in the box and then given to a friend. It was more hassle than it was worth. Changing the bonnets was a PIA.

Since then I have purchased a PC 7336 and there is no comparison. With the velcro backing plate, changing pads is a 5 second job. The machine is much easier to work with and probably does a much better job. I can`t say for sure since the WEN never really got much use.

Now for something to start a discussion. IMO, Unless you have swirl removal to do, the PC isn`t really necessary to do a good job of taking care of your car.
Easier? Yes.
Better? Probably a little better distribution of product.
Faster? Maybe, but remember, you also have to consider the time you spend getting it out, putting it away, and hand washing the foam pads as part of the overall time spent.

My vehicles are in pretty good shape to start with and the products I use, Klasse AIO, 4 Star UPP, S100 Cleaner, and S100 wax, are all so easy to apply and remove that the benefit is not all that great to me. So far, it seems that about 1/2 the time, I don`t even bother with the PC.

If you can afford one, by all means get one. If it stretches your budget, use the money to buy something you really need.

Charles
Just finished doing my daughter`s Taurus with #9 and AIO. Short break and the UPP goes on. Using the PC to apply all of them.

Charles

djsway
11-04-2004, 11:39 AM
I do have a few areas with swirls not too large. Can I use a off the shelf swirl remover and do it by hand?

CharlesW
11-04-2004, 12:04 PM
I do have a few areas with swirls not too large. Can I use a off the shelf swirl remover and do it by hand?For years, I used Meg`s #9 by hand. Lots of work, but it can be done.
While I haven`t personally used it, I have read that Poorboy`s SSR1 works pretty good with hand application.

Charles

Josh
11-04-2004, 12:38 PM
I do have a few areas with swirls not too large. Can I use a off the shelf swirl remover and do it by hand?

Its come to my mind that swirl removal by hand is the biggest pain in the ass I`ve probably faced in my detailing life.

Ninety percent of detailers i`ve ever spoken to have told me hand applied polish just simply won`t get the job done. I`ve used a target "buffer" and those are pretty much what the people in here have said they are, a faster version of your hand. Its nice for lazily applying wax and thats about it. I think your best bet is probably picking up a PC 7336 from lowes for 99$ or from the autopia site, they have a killer deal going on for all kinds of pads and a sonus paintwork cleanser for 179.95

I myself prefer my DeWalt rotary.
:)