PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna IP Question

Pages : [1] 2

ZaneO
11-08-2004, 04:15 PM
I`ve used IP for a long time now, but never used it with a polishing pad and without following with FP. Always used IP with and orange pad followed by FP with a white pad.

How many of you use Menzerna IP with a polishing pad on the PC?

How is this for a one step? Any comparison to 1Z PP?

ZaneO
11-09-2004, 08:25 PM
No one?

6']['9
11-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Ok... Ive used IP w/ a megs polishing pad via rotory and it works great. Its mainly my goto polish every single time. Now if your working by PC and you looking to get rid of spiderwebs i would DEFINATELY use the IP/Edge green. This is what i used to take out spider webs on the a Z28 a while back you can check in my gallery.

It doesnt do much if you do it w/ a megs pad as a one step i dont think the polishing pad can break it down fast enough but its worth a try.

Anthony O.
11-10-2004, 07:55 PM
I use IP with my rotary and a LC polishing pad all the time. I will post up a few Ferrari pics tomorrow.....hopefully.....and I used mainly Menzerna on it, including IP and a polishing pad. Works great with the Cyclo also.

Anthony

kartoon
11-21-2004, 06:35 AM
I`m sure ZaneO knows that IP has does not offer much protection. He was probably just referring to one-step polishing. No need for "what`s a matta you" questions.

BookemDano
11-21-2004, 08:40 AM
I`ve use IP with an orange and a yellow LC CP pad, but never with a white pad. My thought is that, if you need to go past FPII with a white pad and use IP you pretty much need more cutting power than a white pad provides. I only use IP and FPII with my PC. I don`t have a rotary (yet).

Regards,

Dan.

usdm
11-21-2004, 10:06 AM
I use IP as a "one-step" on light colored solids and

metallics. If I am using rotary, I use LC white. If I am

using the Mak d/a, I stick with either the Edge blue or

edge green. For dark solids or metallics, I follow up with

FPII.

ZaneO
11-21-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Burlyq

I use Menzerna IP all the time with rotary, mk 9227. It will work great for moderate oxidation. If oxidation is older and like burnt cake it wont work good no matter what you cut it with. I`ve never had any hazing or anything when I use normal white pad. As for one step, what`s a matta you? No, it`s has no protection. Find a good cleaner than Zaino bud. No one step out there is gonna protect your investment like doing it the right way.

Hey newbie, when did I say anything about protection? I`m talking about polishing here.

Who said anything about Zaino?

That`s a great attitude to come on this forum with :rolleyes:

Anthony O.
11-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Hey People,

Let`s all take a breather here before things once again get out of hand:)

Remember that emotions can`t be conveyed well in these forums so "Burlyq" may have meant no harm but we all need to be careful how we word things.

Now back to the topic athand. I had detailed a Ferrari some days ago and was able to take an AFTER shot of the interior and one of the engine and as I took the interior pic I got a "low battery" warning and was only able to get off two exterior shots.

One exterior pic had too much sun coming in and did not expose well and the second one, while it came out OK, does not show much of the car.....and then my camera battery went south:(

I drove the car back into my detailing area, ran to buy a new battery and then the doctor had come and taken the car:angry Since then it`s been raining here so I`ll post up more pics as soon as I get a chance to wash it up again.

Here is the one picture. I buffed with LC orange and IP, LC white and IP and finished it with FP and finishing pads. Topped with FMJ and OCW as my QD/sealer.

http://img92.exs.cx/img92/4756/Shnt360.jpg

imported_Burlyq
11-21-2004, 04:20 PM
Hey all I was just funnin don`t get all bunched up. I happen to use IP all the time with a rotary and a white application pad, with great results! Thats the key bud use the white pad then you wont have to finish it. You might have to use FP on black, it`s about 50/50. Obviously it all depends on what the finish looks like when you start. Sorry I wasn`t paying attention, it was late and I just answered a question about some guy using one product for a cheap detail. Forgive?

ZaneO
11-21-2004, 04:55 PM
No sweat...I just don`t like new people coming in acting like they know everything and that I am stupid. I take care of my business just fine and have plenty of knowledge and experience. :)

This whole post was meant to be focused on the PC. I just hadn`t tried IP alone.

stilez
11-21-2004, 05:25 PM
No PC use, but via rotary IP is definately fine for a 1 stepper. I went straight to EX on a black Altima and it came out great!

01bluecls
11-21-2004, 05:48 PM
I used Ip with my PC and orange LC cut pad and got pretty good results. My car is dark blue and I didnt see the need to follow up IP with FPII. IP for me didnt leave any hazing....I still used FPII to follow on a white polishing pad which made an "slight" improvement with darkening the paint a little. I think Ip is good, but now that I have used PB SSR2.5, I rarely use IP. I think SSR2.5 is more aggressive than IP when using them with a PC. I guess you could say IP is good for light or very mild swirls.

As for FPII, i think its for paint with very very very light swirls and marring....it has no cutting action that I can notice with a polishing pad. Maybe a different story with cut pad though.

I have since used AIO to replace the FPII and SSR2.5 to replace my IP. I might do a little more comparison and expierementation with IP and FPII over the following summer with different pad combos.

Alfisti
11-21-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by ZaneO

I`ve used IP for a long time now, but never used it with a polishing pad and without following with FP. Always used IP with and orange pad followed by FP with a white pad.

How many of you use Menzerna IP with a polishing pad on the PC?

How is this for a one step? Any comparison to 1Z PP?

ZaneO, these photos are from my earlier post. I used LC orange VC pad and IP with a PC. The before shot isn`t as well focused and not too clear, but the marring was quite significant under Halogen lights.

Before:

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/17477sm_hpim2835-med.jpg

After:

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/17477sm_hpim2838-med.jpg

The after shot is with IP alone. You can see the gloss level and lack of hazing. It would`ve been just fine left as is and using IP as "one-step".

However, being a perfectionist and seeing as I was being paid by the hour, I finished it off with FP and the gloss improvement was significant. Really took it up a couple of notches.

But, as I said, IP alone left a perfect, marless finish and no one would`ve known better about increasing the gloss level until I did it with FP.

To answer another part of your question, when I started this project I started with a white polishing pad. I found it too mild to remove most scratches (it was ok for swirls, though). So I moved to the orange pad and was happy with the results. I think the white pad left a better gloss, as you would expect, but had to be worked a bit longer, again, as you would expect.

Hope this helps.

imported_DetailGirl
11-21-2004, 08:58 PM
I use FP with an orange or yellow pad. I follow with Klasse AIO with a white pad then Klasse SG or UPP with a red constant pressure pad. Works out great! When spring comes and the weather gets better I am going to try the Poorboys SSR line. No matter what I do though and as much as I love polishes like VM I cannot seem to give up my Klasse AIO! Truly the best product that I have ever used.