PDA

View Full Version : prevents gasoline spills - does it work?

Espada
11-08-2004, 03:34 PM
I have a 1971 Lamborghin Espada with twin gas tanks both high up on the fenders. Gas spills are a problem while refueling.

Griots Garage claims to have this product fuelguard that is some kind of rubber flap, fits on the pipe and rolls out to prevent spills. Here is the link:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=fuelguard&search.x=0&search.y=0

Does anyone have any experience with this product? Does it work?

the other pc
11-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Beautiful cars, Espadas. Sound wonderful too.

Are the gas fillers behind those little louvers above the rear wheels? Is the problem that that you get burps of gas before shutoff or spills as you`re removing the nozzle?

Haven`t tried the Griot`s rubber thingies but they`re cheap enough and Griot`s has a 100% money back guaranty. I guess there`s little risk in trying them.

My car has a flip filler cap dead center in the rear deck. After shut-off I wait a bit, then tap the nozzle a couple times inside the filler and look for any drops hanging on the end of the nozzle. If there are, tap again. Once it looks OK I sort of twist the nozzle and point it up so any drops go back into the bellows and pull it away from the car.

PC.

satyr64
11-08-2004, 04:26 PM
I find shaking the pump real good helps. Just like your at a urinal.:xyxthumbs

White95Max
11-08-2004, 04:43 PM
When you stop filling up, just lift the hose up to let any excess gas run down into the tank. Then you won`t have any leakage when you pull the nozzle out. Make sure you lift as much of the hose above the gas tank as you can. You paid for the gas anyway, you might as well take it. Plus you won`t get any gas on your paint, or on the ground. :xyxthumbs

ntoddalbert
11-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Ahh self service, we cant pump our own gas here. Crazy I know. I would bet that with an old inner tube or a piece of flat rubber you could make that thing pretty easy, for a few bucks. Or just try to be careful, im guessing you dont drive this car alot. Some stations have better pumps than others, the vapor recovery systems at some stations make spills almost impossible to avoid though. In my travels not every state has that rubber boot on the pump but im betting LA does?

Eliot Ness
11-08-2004, 05:48 PM
The filler neck is on my street rod lends itself to gas "burping" out if the pump doesn`t stop in time. What I do is take a wad of the gas station towels that are by the pump and put them around and under the gas nozzel. That way any gas that is "burped" out is caught by the towels before it can get on my paint. That method works very well for me, I haven`t had to rinse off gas and break out the QD since since I started doing that a few years ago.

Bill D
11-08-2004, 05:50 PM
Keep some towels in the car just in case the supply at the station is out.

foxtrapper
11-09-2004, 07:34 AM
Wifes car has something similar on it. It helps, but that`s about it. Backspray doesn`t come out straight, and when you pull the nozzle out, you don`t always do so perfectly square, so you still can easily get gasoline on areas outside of the mat.

Normally, just a careful few second wait to allow the gas to dribble out of the nozzle, followed by a gentle shake tap and then a swift removal of the nozzle ensures no gasoline dribbles.