PDA

View Full Version : Today`s Detail - 2000 Black Civic Si

Pages : [1] 2

JasonD
11-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Actually, this was yesterday`s detail that took me all day and the sun wasn`t bright enough to take pictures until today.

Let me just tell you guys that this car wash very close to being trashed. I actually considered entering in the Xtreme contest (and should have) but didn`t think the defects were *Extreme* enough. Come to find out, regardless of whether they were extreme enough or not, this thing kicked my butt big time! It was extremely swirled and the front was completely covered in baked on bugs. You can still see the permanent markings left behind the road damage. Almost every corner was either scuffed or scratched and it looked like the car had been side swiped on both sides from the scuffs that began at the rear of the fenders and ran all the way behind the doors. All in all, I am extremely happy with the results, and I wish I would have taken before pictures so I could have entered in the contest. Oh well, next time.

Process:

Wash and clay

1Z UPP with orange Sonus pad

1Z PP with green Sonus pad (2 pads actually)

VM with blue Sonus pad on everything, even glass

EX applied with grey Sonus pad, removed by hand

Zep Protect-All on tires

AIO on wheels

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/55712000_civic_si_driver_front_corner.jpg

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/55712000_civic_si_driver_side_full.jpg

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/55712000_civic_si_passenger_rear_corner.jpg

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/55712000_civic_si_driver_rear_corner.jpg

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/55712000_civic_si_passenger_front_corner_close_up. jpg

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/55712000_civic_si_driver_side_refelctions.jpg

disasnguy
11-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Great job.

TW85 HHI
11-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Thank God it is stock.

Nice job.

JasonD
11-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by TW85 HHI

Thank God it is stock.

Nice job.

Why`s that? Because of how trashed it *could* be? It`s funny you mention that though, even the shifter (the one and only mod) is broken. I think it was a DC Sports shifter and he said that the handle broke right off in his hand. All that`s there is a chrome post sticking up!

gav'spurplez
11-07-2004, 01:00 PM
looks great,

nice reflection shots :bounce

TW85 HHI
11-07-2004, 02:38 PM
I say it because so many Hondas are ridiculously modified. There isn`t a true sports car around that sounds like the modified economy cars.

JasonD
11-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Ahh, I see and I fully agree with you. This car even still has the factory radio in it, which is extremely hard to find.

DSVWGLI
11-07-2004, 05:16 PM
:bow Very nice work. How do you find the green pad vs the LC white?

JasonD
11-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Sonus Green Pad vs. Lake Country White Pad -

As far as aggressiveness (scrubbing power), I find them the same, BUT the Sonus pad is a lot softer thus requiring less pressure to do it`s job. I pretty much let the weight of the PC do everything for me, where I used to find myself push down a little on the white LC pad.

Raven
11-07-2004, 06:47 PM
Great Job, you just have to love the way black looks when it`s done right!

JasonD
11-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Yep, black is my favorite color....to own and detail! A lot of detailers hate black cars, but I love them because you can see the biggest differences. My least favorite is white or silver since you can never see if you are coming or going!

DSVWGLI
11-07-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

Yep, black is my favorite color....to own and detail! A lot of detailers hate black cars, but I love them because you can see the biggest differences. My least favorite is white or silver since you can never see if you are coming or going!

I couldn`t agree more Jason.:up

DSVWGLI
11-07-2004, 09:35 PM
Jason I almost forgot, after PP you used VM instead of MP why?:confused:

Steve

JasonD
11-07-2004, 09:59 PM
It`s funny that you say that. I actually planned on making a MP pass, but after looking at how good the paint looked after PP and thinking about how exhausted I already was, I decided to jump right into VM. In the past, I have found VM to have a slight polishing effect kind of like MP, so the added step of MP in this particular detail would have produced minimal results. Now, if I could have split this detail up into two days I would have made two full passes with UPP and made a full pass with MP, but I didn`t and I was already pushing it timewise.

On another note, the reason I used VM and not MP before EX was because EX is a sealant and MP contains protectants (silicones) which I think would have created bonding issues. So something like Sonus Paintwork Cleanser, VM, or AIO (all of which I have) was a must and I just chose VM since I just got it and wanted to play with it. :D

DSVWGLI
11-07-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

It`s funny that you say that. I actually planned on making a MP pass, but after looking at how good the paint looked after PP and thinking about how exhausted I already was, I decided to jump right into VM. In the past, I have found VM to have a slight polishing effect kind of like MP, so the added step of MP in this particular detail would have produced minimal results. Now, if I could have split this detail up into two days I would have made two full passes with UPP and made a full pass with MP, but I didn`t and I was already pushing it timewise.

On another note, the reason I used VM and not MP before EX was because EX is a sealant and MP contains protectants (silicones) which I think would have created bonding issues. So something like Sonus Paintwork Cleanser, VM, or AIO (all of which I have) was a must and I just chose VM since I just got it and wanted to play with it. :D

Just curious about EX, doesn`t it contain wax? If so you shouldn`t have a bonding issue over MP right? EX-P is just a sealant and would have bonding issues, or maybe I have them mixed up.