PDA

View Full Version : Tree sap residue

Espada
11-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Bad news. My father left his 1981 Rolls Royce under a tree and the sap dripped on liberally. The sap was dry, hard and transparent. I managed to remove the sap with tar remover followed by clay. The problem is that the sap left faded marks. Polish and wax don`t seem to help.

Any suggestions? Or is the paint just ruined? The paint is otherwise in good condition (I`ve been polishing and waxing it for years.)

togwt
11-08-2004, 09:43 AM
~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations~

The acidic content of the sap will etch the paint surface, causing a concave surface [These can be removed by using detailer`s clay to remove any hardened surface deposits and then using a machine polish, Iz Einzett TM Metallic Polish or Iz Einzett TM Paint Polish and a cutting (LC Orange or Yellow) foam pad (speed # 4) to level the surface, reapply surface protection once spots have been removed]

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

Espada
11-08-2004, 03:25 PM
Thank you - sorry I`m new What is LC Orange or Yellow and is that with an orbital buffer or some other type? Sorry for the basic questions and thanks for the help!

togwt
11-09-2004, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Espada

Thank you - sorry I`m new What is LC Orange or Yellow and is that with an orbital buffer or some other type? Sorry for the basic questions and thanks for the help!

~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations~

Q: What is LC Orange or Yellow

A: Orange pad is a cutting/polishing pad, a White pad is a polishing pad [*The foam pad colour identifications and specifications are by Lake County Manufacturing (LC) (www.lakecountrymfg.com) this company uses European engineered foams specifically designed for compounding, polishing and buffing.

Q: ..and is that with an orbital buffer or some other type?

A: Yes, a random orbital buffer (i.e. Porter-Cable)

Q; Sorry for the basic questions and thanks for the help!

A: Glad to be of help [each one / teach one]

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

Eliot Ness
11-09-2004, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Espada

If you don`t have a good buffer you could try some Meg`s ScratchX by hand. While it won`t be as quick or as effective as a good abrasive polish with a PC, it may get the job done for you. Here is a link to the Meg`s site that has a good explanation and "how-to" on ScratchX:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1516

Note that you have to work ScratchX in well to break down the diminishing abrasives it contains, and you may have to apply it a few times to an area to see the results youâ€â„¢re looking for (depending on how deep the etchings go and how hard the paint or clear coat is).