PDA

View Full Version : cant get swirls out..need help

andrew300
11-06-2004, 02:10 PM
hey i just got my pc and got some ges 9,80 and 82. i was doing my friends black 03 nissan sentra specv and it has normal 1 year old swirl marks a black car usually has and they are everywhere. i tryed number 80 on it and worked it in good and went over it alot and they were all still there. what could i be doing wrong? could it be the foam pad that came with the pc that i am using? am i not working it in long enough? please give me some tips for removing these. id be using my sonus pads but my backing plate broke. would it really make a difference between the pc pad and the sonus pad? also how many times should i go over it with the pc? they are not deep so i know 80 can take them out its just trying to figure out what i am doing wrong.

White95Max
11-06-2004, 02:28 PM
I have never even used the pad that came with my PC. They call it a polishing pad, but I don`t think it works very well for polishing.

I think it`s probably the pad. I know #80 is a reputable product, so I don`t think that`s the problem.

Order a new backing plate and tell your friend to come back in a few days when you can use your Sonus pads.

stevet
11-06-2004, 02:34 PM
The pad that comes with the PC is not very good. You should get better results with your Sonus pads. Also #80 really is not that abrasive. You might find that even with the Sonus Pad #80 can`t get every thing out.

Eliot Ness
11-06-2004, 02:41 PM
I agree, you should wait until you get a new backing plate so you can use your Sonus pads. And as stevet said, #80 isn`t all that abrasive, you may want to have some #83 on hand just in case.

andrew300
11-06-2004, 03:06 PM
i have 83 but would that be to abrasive for paint thats only little over a year old? will it really cut through the clear coat fast? how many applications of dacp would it take to get through the clear? its not my car and i really dont want to mess it up but i might give it a try.

andrew300
11-06-2004, 03:08 PM
also what speed should i use on the pc 5 or 6? and should i put any presure on the pc or should i let it work under its own weight? i should work it until it turns into dust right and then buff it off?

Accumulator
11-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by manawar

i have 83 but would that be to abrasive for paint thats only little over a year old? will it really cut through the clear coat fast? how many applications of dacp would it take to get through the clear? its not my car and i really dont want to mess it up but i might give it a try.

Well, to remove the marring you have to remove paint, just the way it works. Doesn`t matter how new/old the vehicle is, you just cut off clear until the marring is removed/improved. Know when to say "good enough"...but most people give up *long* before they take off too much clear with a PC and DACP.

Generally, people use DACP many times without problems. Just use common sense and you should be fine. Working by PC, as opposed to a rotary, is a very mild process. As you found out when the #80 didn`t take out the marring.

I do almost all my polishing on "6" and I`ll put some weight on the PC upon occasion. Try to let the *product* do the work, but sometimes you have to lean on it a little. Work the DACP until it turns to powder (don`t apply too much) and be prepared to follow up with a milder product if it leaves micromarring.

imported_Totoland Mach
11-06-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by manawar

also what speed should i use on the pc 5 or 6? and should i put any presure on the pc or should i let it work under its own weight? i should work it until it turns into dust right and then buff it off?

I`d use the pad on 5 and work a small area (2` X 2`). Work it till you see the dust and a slight haze. Buff with an mf to check your work. I don`t use any real pressure on the horizontal surfaces and slight pressure on the vertical.

Holler if you need help. That`s what Autopia is for!

sQuashed
11-06-2004, 06:37 PM
I say work the product in on 4,crank it up and lean on that PC a little.. Sometimes pressure is required.