PDA

View Full Version : I love road construction.. (Pics)

bluec
11-06-2004, 10:58 AM
Yeah, so a nearby road construction project I drove by, I was sitting at a light and I noticed a white cloud of dust go over my car (it was a windy day). So I thought it was just a type of powder or something no big deal.

I get home and I was going to do my driver side of the car with 3M RC and MG with my pc, but wait, theres a bunch of white dust allover my car. I thought it was rubbing compound from the previous night, so I decided to wash it off (RC usually washes right off). Nope, didnt come off. I scrubbed the paint with a sponge and soap, nothing came off. Then I realized that the driver side of the car faced the construction.

So I drove down to the city offices and talked with their engineer. He told me it was cement compound since they were doing cement work. GREAT! Anyways he gave me the number for the state employee since it was a state project. So i left him a message and hopefully I`ll hear from them soon.

I talked to a couple body shops over the phone, they said since my factory clear coat is already getting thin, it might need a complete repaint since its cement on the clear coat. Buffing might wreck the clear coat (cement is kinda abrasive....). It pretty much looks like tiny rock chips allover the paint. Im pretty sure it created a few new chips in the paint too.

Pics:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/351050_184_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/351050_187_full.jpg

thats all that compound allover my windows. Im mad cause I just had tint put on 4 days ago. And now when I look out my window, theres white specs everywhere.

And not to mention I put over 8 hours of labor into my paint last weekend with my PC, 3M Machine Glaze, and roughly 2 coats of S100 over the ENTIRE car. And now its ruined. I will be fighting the state over this, if it means a new paint job, im fighting for it.

vdog0531
11-06-2004, 11:02 AM
have you tried clay baring? IF you do end up getting a new paint job, make you pick the place and dont let them screw you into a bad paint job.

Vernon

MikeWinLDS
11-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Fighting as in you`re going to sue the city for the costs of a body shop to try to fix it?

bluec
11-06-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by MikeWinLDS

Fighting as in you`re going to sue the city for the costs of a body shop to try to fix it? No, it is a state project. I will be dealing with the state, city has nothing to do with it. And im pretty sure they have situations like this before, my guess is they just pay out. If I need an attorney, Ill get one. Im not letting them just buff this out. I dont think clay bar can even remove this. Im not gonna try either. It will end up scratching the clear coat like crazy.

This stuff is on the other side of the car too, just not as dense. Its allover my trunk, rear window, hood, etc. My paint is pretty faded, so a new paint job would be nice. Im not letting them repaint only one side of the car either, its all or nothing.

andriver
11-06-2004, 11:18 AM
Tray claying the car first.

MikeWinLDS
11-06-2004, 11:20 AM
That second picture wasn`t posted the first time you posted. Is that the picture of the windows that it got on? Man that stuff is nasty. Good luck with your battle with the State. I`d be pretty mad if that junk got all over my car too.

Jonny_venus
11-06-2004, 11:28 AM
I remember reading a thread a while back regarding cement; a member advised to soak a cloth with vinegar and leave it for a while to soak into the cement, I believe he had success doing this, however itâ€â„¢s all over your car, you could try a portion and see what happens.

Good Luck

PK

Nickshades
11-06-2004, 01:43 PM
If clay doesn`t work, what about using a solvent to soak on the paint like tar-off, then rinse well, and wash again with soap.

Also, you may want to use this as a pre-cleaning method prior to claying the car.

nick

marstang
11-06-2004, 01:48 PM
Yes, try white vinegar. I used to call on a Limestone Quarry. The wet lime would cake to the wheelwells, and dust would adhere to the finish. As strange as it sounds, white vinegar removed it. My contact at the quarry kind of laughed (like it was a dumb question) and gave me the suggestion when I asked about it. One of the car washes near my home, next to a quarry, has a white vinegar dispenser in the bays. Try it, it`s worth a shot. Good Luck!

Marty

White95Max
11-06-2004, 02:32 PM
Try the vinegar method. If it doesn`t work, you don`t lose anything...but maybe it will work. Then you save a lot of time and frustration of dealing with a lawsuit.

zzyyzx
11-06-2004, 03:54 PM
I hope you find another way to get it off than fighting a gov`t agency. I blew a tire and screwed up a rim once when I hit a pot hole near a construction zone. It was about 8 inches deep and about 14 inch diameter. It was raining so it was filled with water and couldn`t see it. The city told me that it was my problem because they had no idea there was a pothole there. Funny thing is, guess what the construction was? Road repair for potholes.... Never did get a cent out of them.

crobinso
11-06-2004, 04:33 PM
I`d like to add a vote for trying the white vinegar on a cloth. I too read a thread either on autopia or on detailcity. The vinegar removed the cement residue on a poster`s car with no bad effects.

Charles

Intercooled
11-06-2004, 05:40 PM
"I will be dealing with the state, city has nothing to do with it. And im pretty sure they have situations like this before, my guess is they just pay out."

Good luck fighting the state!!:rolleyes:

I`m sorry to hear about the cement hope it comes off for you!