PDA

View Full Version : Glaze - when to apply?

epbrown01
11-06-2004, 10:47 AM
I`ve been reading up on this site and others but I`m unclear on when in the process you apply a glaze - before or after waxing. Is there a definite answer?

Emanuel

MikeWinLDS
11-06-2004, 10:48 AM
It`s before you wax, or so I`m told, but after you polish. Inbetween polishing and waxing. I did it just now polish, glaze, then wax.

epbrown01
11-06-2004, 10:52 AM
Thanks!

Kleanride
11-06-2004, 10:54 AM
You can do it over the top coat of wax too, mostly just to enhance shine and fill in minor swirls....you won`t get a lot of durability out of it tho....

Mr Monk
11-06-2004, 11:45 AM
As Dale said a glaze can be applied over wax.

When I do use a glaze I most likely will reach for Mother`s Sealer & Glaze. Easy to use. Looks good. But the durability is short lived.

Although some have said the use of a sealer/glaze will remove some of the wax I have not found this to be the case.

Give it a try and tell us what you think.

Kleanride
11-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Dr Groove

Although some have said the use of a sealer/glaze will remove some of the wax I have not found this to be the case.

I have also heard that glaze over wax will jepordize(sp) the integrity of the wax...making it weaker and less durable.

Personally, I could care less how long the wax will last, unless its my winter coats....

I say, give it a go and let us know what happens!

epbrown01
11-06-2004, 04:55 PM
I`m back, after about 5 hours of work! The good news is that the car looks LOTS better than before. The single stage red paint (http://home.att.net/~epbrown01/944.jpg) was pretty oxidized and has all sorts of contaminants in it. I went with mostly Meguiars products as they were handy - I discovered I`m out of a lot of my Zymol stuff - except for using 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. This means I washed the car thoroughly with their soap, Quick Detailer with clay, Paint Cleaner, Polish, 3M Glaze, then Gold Class wax.

By the time I finished, it was too dark to take an after photo, so I`lll add one tomorrow, but the car came back to it`s original Guards Red and has a deep mellow glow to it. Not as nice as the gleam I get from my other 2 Porsches, but those have clear coats; at least now you can tell they`re all the same shade of red.

The bad news: going over the paint in such detail makes it clear I`ll need to repaint the car next spring: some previous paint repairs are slightly off and my mirrors and rear bumper are slightly different shades of red than the rest of the car, and there are some water spots that seem deep in the paint on the hood and next to the rear hatch.

For now though, it`s acceptable. Thanks to everyone for their help and advice in this and the other thread.