PDA

View Full Version : What is the first thing you do once you get your new car home?

abc
11-03-2004, 11:18 AM
If you are so lucky to not have the dealer prepare your car what would be the first thing to do when you get the car home?

JaredPointer
11-03-2004, 11:52 AM
Wash, clay, polish (a chemical polish if the finish is swirl free, an abrasive one if the finish is marred/swirly), sealant, and/or wax.

crobinso
11-03-2004, 12:11 PM
Actually, my dealer did a decent job of detailing my car. The first thing I did when I got it home was to go to The Motley Fool`s Buying and Maintaining a Car forum to ask how to keep it clean. A reader there turned me on to DC, and the rest is history.

I studied here, asked questions, then bought my products. I didn`t wash my car for a month until I knew exactly what to do/not do, and boy was it filthy. But after using Four Star`s UPC and UPP, I can see clearly now! :)

I noticed that there was som IFO on the car, but not a lot. The dealer`s detailer did a great job of protecting the paint. I`ve bought some clay, and I will be using it next.

I didn`t notice any swirl marks. Moreover, when I detailed it myself, nothing but dirt came off onto my towels. I`d expected to see red paint, but no, not a speck. I was so relieved!

Charles

Bill D
11-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Next time around I`m insisting not even the Rapgard white plastic be removed. I`d get the appropriate product for its removal, do a 3 step decontamination wash, ( like the one from autoint.com or Finsh Kare) inspect very closely for paint defects, polish, seal and probably the next day or so, top with wax :bigups

scottlee
11-03-2004, 01:10 PM
+this may sound simple stupid, but the first thing i did was take pictures
so i can see the improvement

Nickc0844
11-03-2004, 01:53 PM
All those suggestions are great, as many car manufacturers are using Cosmoline (sort of like a wax) to prevent damage during transit. This stuff isn`t always removed on the first time with clay and chemical cleaners.

Hawaiianelement
11-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Wash
Clay
Paint seal x2
Top w/ this weeks fav. wax

Holyghostfilled
11-03-2004, 04:00 PM
:yeah

zesty-man
11-03-2004, 11:19 PM
Wash
Clay
Polish
Seal

as for my tires, it figures that the dealer`s tire dressing came off after a couple of days :(