PDA

View Full Version : WaxMaster

11-05-2004, 02:28 PM
A friend has a WaxMaster WB9000 new. used only for a few min to test it out.

He will sell it to me.

But i`m still a newbie to car detailing especially with a buffer.

Should I get it? How much is it worth?

And I want to try it out on my Black SVT "L". It is literally swirlville when the sun shines on it. What type of pad should I use and with what combo. of products?

Any tips, comments or suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Pic of Buffer->

http://img119.exs.cx/img119/2359/100_0154.th.jpg (http://img119.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img119&image=100_0154.jpg)

Click to Enlarge

jimmybuffit
11-05-2004, 03:30 PM
Sorry. What seems like a good deal for you... just isn`t.

Others will chime in, but save your money for a Porter Cable 7336 or 7424. About $150 with accessories.

Or, spend less than that to have a pro do it right the first time.

Jim

Bill D
11-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I had three of those things, they don`t a do a thing really, even seems like applying wax by hand is better. However, I saved the blue plastic case it came in and I store my PC in it.

JaCkaL829
11-05-2004, 04:19 PM
My friend had that buffer, it was very rough I though I was going to break out in a rash after using it, and I didn`t use it that long. It also broke on him, the backplate broke from the buffer. As others said save up for the PC, its a great investment.

11-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Guess i`ll take your word for it. Too bad though.

Anyone want to explain the details or a link of why a PC is better?

I would rather a pro do it "right" the first time. Then Later guess i have no choice but to save up for a PC.

Thanks,

I have other Q`s too. Whats a good combo of products to keep my truck clean? I wash it 1-2x a week. I need a good car wash and a good "gloss enhancer" type stuff to keep it shining in between wax jobs.

Bill D
11-05-2004, 04:30 PM
Results from a PC versus those of the Waxmaster speak for themselves;if nothing else, IIRC, pads that can correct paint defects are not available for the Waxmaster only useless bonnets are: a lame foam and poor quality terry

JaCkaL829
11-05-2004, 04:39 PM
A quick explaination as to why the PC is better then "no name" orbitals, is the build quality. My friend as I described isn`t a detailing hobbyist at all. He probably used it 3 to 4 times max in applying a wax, not the whole polish, glaze, wax steps that us Autopians do. That said his is broken and my PC is still going. I don`t think i`ve EVER read a thread on a broken PC on Autopia or DC. Thats pretty darn good considering some of the people who use the PC are professionals who detail almost every day, and have no problems with it. Along with the build-quality of the PC being superior to most other orbitals, you can put a velcro backplate on it and use a variety of different pads. The velcro makes switiching pads very easy and convient. With the Waxmaster you might be limited to only 2 other "bonnets" to use with it. The PC is one smooth operating machine that lasts long, and is very easy to work with. As said before its probably the best investment.

Your other question is very vague, I suggest you read up in the "learn" section on the top. DavidB does a good job on all the basics of detailing. Product wise, everyone has their preference, your just going to have to look on the forums a little and start experimenting. The search button is your friend.

Gonzo
11-05-2004, 04:45 PM
We`ve been talking on the HALO board. Meguiar`s NXT Car Wash is good and so is their Gold Class. As for gloss enhancement, there is not much point to it until the swirls you have are removed. For the short term, just get some wax or a synthetic like NXT High Tech, really just anything will do just to protect the surface until your paint issues can be properly delt with.

In the autopian world, the key principle is "Preparation is Everything". On a well prepped vehicle, you can lay down a layer of lard and it will look fabulous but on the other hand, you could applied $100 worth of finishes - sealants and waxes and such, and on a poorly prepped vehicle and it will still look like something the dog drug home from the bayou.

Patience grasshopper - I`ll show you what to use and how to use it......:D

the other pc
11-05-2004, 05:15 PM
The difference between a PC and a Waxmaster is kind`a like the difference between a Louisville Slugger and a whiffle bat. They basically work the same way and do the same thing but...

Personally, I feel 9" and 10" polishers are too big for cars and light trucks anyway. (I own a 10" Waxmaster I didn`t use even before I got a PC. I just loan it to friends and hope they don`t bring it back.)

PC.

NEW AGAIN
11-05-2004, 07:03 PM
What about DeWalt 443 a much better machine than the Porter Cable 7336/7424 and gives better results IMO