PDA

View Full Version : meguairs #2

na2c32
11-05-2004, 01:05 AM
can i apply meguairs 2 by hand? and anyone know where i can get 3m products in San francisco?

imported_mirrorfinishman
11-05-2004, 03:34 AM
Although #2 is now made to be applied by machine, you can also apply it by hand. Keep in mind that it will not be as aggressive, however in certain situations that may be all that is necessary.

Accumulator
11-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Other side of the coin- IMO (and I don`t want this to sound like a :argue with Mirrorfinishman, he and I have just had differing experiences with this stuff) Meg`s #2 is not suitable for use on b/c paint except with a rotary. Leaves too much micromarring and the chemical cleaners do their thing much better on ss paint. I`ve used it on different paints since the early `70s and I`ve never liked how it works on b/c. I *do* like it for serious work on ss lacquer though.

I`d rather use 3M PI-III RC (05933) for by-hand work on b/c even though it`s not *nearly* as aggressive as the Meg`s #2. Check the 3M website and see if they have a "locate vendor" function. For something stronger than works OK by hand on b/c, I use 1Z Ultra/Extra. You could also look into Hi-Temp medium cut from TOL.

the other pc
11-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by na2c32

... where i can get 3m products in San francisco? 3M products are available at most automotive paint shops. Check your local phone book.

You can also check 3M`s (difficult to navigate) website (http://selector.3m.com/aad_wtb/ss.asp?FAM=distributors) to find dealers.

PC.

imported_BretFraz
11-05-2004, 06:53 PM
Most NAPA auto parts locations nationwide carry a good selection of 3M. Also check out local auto body paint stores.