PDA

View Full Version : First detail tonight. Need some help.

Tazman7
11-05-2004, 12:11 AM
Tonight I detailed my car using my Porter Cable. This was the first time that I have ever used a polisher of any kind. I liked using it alot better than my own arm strength, thats for sure! I kept my speed around 4-5. I have read alot about detailing on this website and I have learned alot of new things from here. I would have to say this is a great website. I still have alot of questions though. I know that they are probably posted somewhere in this website but I cant seem to find the answers.

Here is what I did: Wash-Meguiars Deep Crystal

Clay- Meguiars Mild Clay- Final Detail

Swirl- #9-on with pc off by hand-used the polishing pad

Polish- Meguiars Deep Crystal-on and off by hand-

Glaze- #7-on with pc off by hand-finishing pad

Wax- Meguiars Gold Class-on and off by hand

Instand detailer-Final Detail

How does this process sound? Is there something that I should change to make it look better? I want it to look wet and have very deep looking paint.

I went to a detailing shop near my house that sells all of Meguiars products. I taked to the guy and told him that I was planning on polishing my truck soon and I needed to know what the best thing for removing minor swirls was that he sold. He recommended me using the Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover with a polishing pad. When I used his combination I didnt get the results that I wanted. It didnt remove all of the swirls. It just removed the very little ones. Now I know from reading on here that I need to move up on the aggressiveness scale. But if I went and got like a medium-cut polish or something would I still use the polishing pad? What swirl remover would you recommend me to use for this? Pad? speed of polisher?

Another question.... on the side of my truck from the back of the drivers side door, back, the paint isnt as deep as the rest of my truck. I dont know if the previous owner used something that he shouldnt have used or what happened but I would like to get the deep look again. The rest of my car is very nice looking but that half just doesnt look the same. What could I use to make it deep?

I will post pictures of my truck tomorrow when it is sunny out(if that happens) Thanks for all of your replies ahead of time. ~Todd

DSVWGLI
11-05-2004, 12:30 AM
Welcomesprtslvr785, Over all your products don`t look to bad. You need to get a more abrasive polish to remove the swirls, # 9 won`t do it. If you want to stay with the Meguairs line I would try #80 it should remove all but the most stubron swirls. And if that doesn`t work then DACP will. If you use DACP follow with #80. Try a search on polishing there is lots of info aval. You should also read the learning section if you already haven`t. Good luck and enjoy.

I forgot your second question sorry, #80 should look after that as well. Don`t be afraid to use your PC on 5 or 6.