PDA

View Full Version : MINI Cooper, Dawn & Zaino ??

Pages : [1] 2

MTMS4
11-04-2004, 04:28 PM
This question is directed specifically to Autopians who have used the Dawn pre-wash before Zaino application on a MINI Cooper. I have done multiple searches, but I am looking for some reassurance from people who have actually done this (rather than conjecture as to Dawn`s likely ill effects).

Does the Dawn wash have any detrimental effect on all the (copious amounts of) textured plastic trim ?

How much Dawn is recommended per gallon of water.

Thanks,

Bill.

imported_memnuts
11-04-2004, 05:08 PM
No, Dawn as a pre-treatment for your painted surface will do absolutely no harm. This infrequent exposure of the rubber sealing elements will also not be effected.

I would not wash the textured surfaces with the Dawn because you will not be applying Zaino polish to these surfaces. Yes, some of the Dawn solution will run on these surfaces but a quick rinse will alleviate any problems and as part of your detailing this vehicle just re-apply whatever dressing you are using for your textured surfaces.

1-2 caps in a gallon of water will be sufficient.

If you are polishing the finish with a water-based polish (ie. Menzerna) a Z7 wash will be sufficient to remove any residual oils left after polishing and remove any grit from polishing.

MTMS4
11-04-2004, 06:23 PM
blkZ28Conv,

Thanks for the advice. I`m not planning on performing a claybar treatment since the car is brand new (collecting it tomorrow) but will probably use Autoglym resin polish (as necessary) to remove any obvious minor surface blemishes before the Dawn wash.

I`m not too concerned about obtaining the ultimate mirror-finish shine, I just want something durable to last me through an Upstate NY winter and want to give the Zaino a good chance of bonding.

I may follow the Dawn wash with a 50% IPA wipe (overkill ?), but I don`t want to spend an inordinate amount of time on the pre-treatment. I just wanted to make sure that the Dawn wouldn`t cause problems with all the non-painted, textured black plastic trim.

Thanks.

redfish
11-04-2004, 06:38 PM
I`d still recommend claying the car... just because it`s brand new doesn`t mean the paint is free of contamination; you`d be surprised at how much crap that clay will pull off, and how much smoother your paint will be. I have always clayed my new cars... and I`m always glad when I do.

The clay doesn`t take long, and isn`t hard to do.

;)

MTMS4
11-04-2004, 06:58 PM
Redfish,

Thanks, but...........I have absolutely no experience with a claybar and don`t want to start practicing the art on a brand new car. To those with experience, I`m sure it`s painless, quick and straighforward, but I don`t want to risk it.

The temperature here is dropping like a stone and (if I`m lucky) the high over the weekend may hit 50F with possible snow flurries. I don`t have the luxury of spending hours perfecting the art; I need to get the car protected ASAP. Maybe next Spring/Summer I can strip off the initial coats of Zaino and give it the full claybar treatment.

Peter Crowl
11-04-2004, 07:48 PM
My MCSC will be here in a few weeks. The first thing I`ll do is clay it. Coming in by train insures rail dust on the finish.

No experience necessary...claying is totally hazard free. It`s just like going over the finish with a sponge...only you have to turn it!

I use Zaino on our cars and it`s great...but after you wash...feel the surface. Feel rough? If you don`t clay it you`ll seal in that grit.

Peter...Soon to be Motoring...in Denver

BookemDano
11-04-2004, 09:24 PM
OK. Here`s the process to becoming an expert in claying your car in four easy steps:

1) Wash the car to get it nice and clean.

2). Mold one-half of a clay bar into a small pancake about two inches across.

3) Starting on the hood, spray a nice two square foot area with clay lube. (I use about capful of Zaino Z7 car wash with 16 ounces of water.)

4) Rub the clay back and forth in the clay lube. In the first 2-3 strokes in one spot, you will hear a slight hissing noise where it`s going over the paint contamination. Then you will hear the noise subside. Now move to a new unlclayed spot and repeat.

In about 5 minutes (if you are slow) you will have finished claying your hood.

Congratulations, you are now a claying expert!

Of all the things we do to detail the car, claying is about the most brain-dead easy. As long as you use good clay (Zaino Z18, Clay Magic, etc.) and lube well, there is zero risk. You will greatly increase the condition of your paint with almost no effort. Actually, washing your car is MUCH riskier than claying.

Clay! Do it!

Regards,

Dan.

togwt
11-05-2004, 05:51 AM
blkZ28Conv :up

BookemDano..Detailing clay 101:up

kustomsol
11-05-2004, 07:00 AM
By all means clay a new car. You won`t believe all the surface particles you will remove. And you do not have to be a rocket scientist to do it.

MTMS4
11-05-2004, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the advice and reassurance. Even so, I can`t stop these bizarre images popping into my head of me "attacking" my new paintwork with gusto using something akin to a Brillo scouring pad.

MTMS4
11-05-2004, 06:04 PM
OK, back to the original thread........

How much Dawn per gallon of water ?

Should I follow the Dawn wash with an isopropanol wipe-down or maybe do this instead of the Dawn wash ?

BookemDano
11-05-2004, 06:59 PM
Here`s my process for a brand new car with "perfect" paint (ha!):

1) Wash with Dawn (couple of good squirts for 4 gallons of water)

2) Clay

3) Quick wash with a good car wash soap (Z7) to get any bits of clay or lube off (me being anal)

4) Polish with Menzerna FMJ and an LC white pad

5) Wash again with good car wash soap (Z7) to remove any polishing oils.

6) Z5 then Z2 (or maybe just straight to Z2). Use ZFX.

7) QD with Z6.

Best of luck,

Dan.

MTMS4
11-05-2004, 08:21 PM
Thanks Dan...........well, it`s now or never (at least before the snow sets in). So I`m dedicating all tomorrow and Sunday to my first Zaino experience, providing the temperature stays above 45F !! For better or worse, I think I`m going to forego the claybar............I`ll try posting some photos on completion.

BookemDano
11-05-2004, 10:29 PM
Remember that the cure time for Zaino (with ZFX) is extended when it`s cooler and damper. Make sure that you let the Zaino dry. If it`s very cool, you may have to wait several hours for the Zaino+ZFX to dry. Just wait. Don`t try to hurry it.

Regarding temperature, I bought a propane heater for my garage to boost the temperature up. It works pretty well. Lowes carrys them.

Regards,

Dan.

MTMS4
11-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Well, it`s been a trying kind of day, but part 1 is accomplished (sort of). Got out of bed at the crack of dawn (8.30am actually) raring to go on the detailing.....the sun was out, the weather forecast was reasonably good (high of 52F)....but breakfast intervened, so I was delayed somewhat; damn!!

The MINI was pretty grimey from the ~70 mile drive home from the dealer, so I decided to give it a quick once over with P21S shampoo. Then with trembling hands, I metered out a slug of Dawn detergent (50 mls in 5 gallons actually) and set to work. I wasn`t sure whether I needed to keep this stuff off the plastic trim etc., but after a few minutes of liberal application I realized that all was well (paint wasn`t flaking off and no sign of the plastic trim dissolving). The lubricity was amazing and so was the shine (on both paintwork and plastic trim). I was so impressed I added another 25 mls of Dawn and topped up the bucket and started all over again. I then spent quite some time rinsing the car to make sure I removed all the Dawn before drying. Wow, what a sparkling finish (honestly).

The drying stage took way longer than expected. I started off with the Big Blue Towel (first time user), but wasn`t making much headway so I switched to my trustworthy el-cheapo synthetic chamois and voila we were (almost) dry. Not sure whether it was because of the new paintwork or the relatively cool weather but it proved really difficult to get the car completely dry.

Anyway, before starting with Zaino, I gave it a quick visual inspection and a touch-feel and, sure enough, I could see some very small, how do I say this, lumps of crap on the doors. I took these off with Autoglym resin polish followed by an IPA wipe.

The car is a deep metallic purple colour ("purple haze" in the USA aka "black eyed purple in the UK) and despite telling my dealer to forego the detailing/waxing and use of any orbital polishers there were obvious swirl marks. Hence, I started off with Z5 (0.5 oz + 4 drops of ZFX) and did the bodywork, wheels, door jambs etc. I`m sure I used too much for one application, but by now the sun was starting to set and I knew I wasn`t going to get much more done. I also forgot to spritz the applicator pad with Z6 or water and so the Z5 didn`t go on very easily/smoothly......I`ll remedy that next time.

So, the car is now in the garage with just one coat of Z5 going through an extended curing......hopefully it won`t prove too difficult to remove. Tomorrow, I`m hoping to apply another 3 coats of Z5 (with Z6 in between) and then maybe leave it until next week before I apply a few coats of Z2.

I`m a bit of a perfectionist and this was more of a race-against-time (or rather weather) so I`m a little disappointed that I didn`t accomplish more (or do it as well as I wanted). Anyway, so long as the car is protected for the winter, then I`m happy and I`ll lavish more loving attention (and Zaino) on it next Spring.

To be continued......