PDA

View Full Version : `95 Pathfinder with Zaino!

Pages : [1] 2 3

stilez
11-04-2004, 02:04 PM
3 month durability shots on page 3

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Yup Zaino :)

Anyways, today started the winter plan for Liz`s Pathfinder. Since her Saab is away for the winter, this will be her vehicle. I gave it a full detail about a year ago with clay, polish, Klasse twins x 4. It was garaged and covered from April until now and has not been driven.

Let me stress the importance of paint care here :). Like I said, I detailed a YEAR ago. It got washes every 1-2 weeks during last winter. I took LESS dirt off the paint with clay today than I did with that brand new Jetta GLI I did a couple weeks back. I was utterly amazed.

Anyways, my final processes were:

-QEW

-PB Clay with PB soapy solution for lube

-Menzerna MicroPolish via rotary and Meguiar`s polishing pad @ 1500rpm

-Klasse AIO by hand

-Zaino Z5 by hand on entire car but hood

-Duragloss by hand on hood

-BnB on tires

-PB Trim Restorer on plastic trim

Zaino and Duragloss thoughts:

Both go on relativlely easy over AIO. THIN COATS are key here. Duragloss dried for 1 min, whereas I let Zaino dry for about 15. Both came off with very little effort. Definately very shiny for the two. Duragloss had a touch more depth. I wasn`t too impressed with their slickness. Both were a little low in that area. Hard to judge anything more as there was no sunshine today. As of now I like the products, but they are strictly for protection.

Pictorals

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/kappapsi497/DSC03179.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/kappapsi497/DSC03182.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/kappapsi497/DSC03185.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/kappapsi497/DSC03187.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/kappapsi497/DSC03189.jpg

Oh yeah, next time I work on the PFinder, I will keep layering Zaino to about 5. I need to polish out the rims and windows as well, then they will both get AIO`d/Zaino`d.

Questions/Comments :)

RedondoV6
11-04-2004, 02:10 PM
Zaino! :eek: Welcome to the dark side mmmmauuugh! :lol

Nice job, as always! :bow

Don`t judge the slickness yet, wait for a day or so and you may find they both become slicker as they crosslink. Don`t know if you are going to leave the two sealants for enough time to test durability, but I`d be very interested to see how they compare as time moves on :)

Oh yeah.. did you Zfx the Zaino or just use Z5 alone?

stilez
11-04-2004, 02:17 PM
Mike: I will test it tomorrow. It`s pouring here now, but the PF is in the garage across the parking lot there (you can see in pics) so it can cure. I will do more observations tomorrow.

Once I layer, I`ll pretty much leave em with the occasional top of carnauba.

Just Z5 alone.

groebuck
11-04-2004, 02:18 PM
i don`t think he did - think it was single coats of both - hey Sean check the directions for the ZFX I sent too - you can do multiple coats (I sent Z2 which is for clear coated cars, the Z5 you got is for single stage I think??)

Told ya DG was EZ to use :)

SK2003TypeS
11-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Wow, looks great for a `95.

Z3 is for single stage. Z5 is the "swirl marks"

stilez
11-04-2004, 03:14 PM
So Z5 is still a sealant right?

Why couldn`t they make just 1 sealant ? :nixweiss

ZaneO
11-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Z5 is a sealant; it`s contains slight fillers that Z2 doesn`t. That`s why there are 2 products.

You would really like Zaino Tire Shine (Z16).

The whole Zaino line is really impressive. It`s really just personal preference on the look of the sealant.

JayJayPG
11-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Great detail job...it looks like you are running the extension cord from your balcony ;)

I love those old style Pathfinders...I`ve been looking to buy one of those as a winter car as well. Did your gf get her Saab fixed?

stilez
11-04-2004, 05:32 PM
Zane: I hear good things about that Z16...but for about a dollar an ounce...No thanks :(

I think I`ll go Z5 x 3 and Z2 x 3...what do you think? I`m not too familiar with this stuff.

Jay: You got it! It`s the only way I have power.

Liz`s PF is mint. Once we detail the interior I`ll take a couple pics. She was real meticulous about it before I met her. Plenty of swirls but always kept relatively clean. Her dad is pretty anal about having it serviced...every single part on it is all Nissan. Definately a rare-find, that`s why she still has it :)

Yeh, the Saab got fixed...$425 later ;)

hirosh
11-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by GSRstilez

I need to polish out the rims and windows as well, then they will both get AIO`d/Zaino`d.

they look pretty good in the pictures, like in the second one the rim is reflecting your car`s red quite well.

nice pathfinder though. love those fog lights on that bull-guard thingamajig. i don`t know much about zaino and the order you layer it. i think i`ve read somewhere you can alternate the Z2 and Z5 layers or something. i`m not sure though and hopefully someone with zaino experience will chime in.

and is the licence plate suppose to mean "Hockey" or "Hickey"? or am i just reading way too much into it? :o

Scottwax
11-04-2004, 09:16 PM
Looks really good, seems to be the typical Zaino super reflectivity. Which Duragloss product did you use? I haven`t used Zaino so I can`t offer you any advise, but I`d be interested on your thoughts concerning the durability of both products as time passes.

BTW, very nice Pathfinder! Amazing to see a mid 90`s Nissan with so few chips in the leading edge of the hood.

ZaneO
11-04-2004, 09:49 PM
The principal with all Zaino products is that a little goes a long way. They aren`t necessarily meant for the professional detailer, though.

There isn`t much difference visually between Z5 and Z2. Zaino recommends finishing with Z2 for optimum shine.

Z6 really does add to the slickness of Zaino. It`s not quite as slick as Wolfgang initially (no oils in Zaino), but the slickness stays much longer.

Scott - when I get some time, I will round up some Zaino and send it to you. I need to get some sample size bottles, etc.

RedondoV6
11-04-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by ZaneO

Scott - when I get some time, I will round up some Zaino and send it to you. I need to get some sample size bottles, etc.

Let me know if this happens; I have excess bottles of ZFX I`d be happy to contribute.

:)

General Lee
11-05-2004, 07:36 AM
For a cloudy day, the reflectiveness is awesome. If it makes any difference I`ll add that Z16 is a great tire dressing. I mainly use it on my vehicles and occasionally on other details because of the price. I reccomend trying a bottle just for your cars, that way that dollar an ounce is for your use:up

imported_memnuts
11-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Z16 is very economical in terms of amount needed to do each tire and its ability to last a long time outside of most weather conditions (long trip in a monsoon ;) ). Excellent titrable shine without being gummy, zero slinging, no dust attraction,never turns rubber brown and not bling, blingish appearance. Tires just look like new, clean and dressed to kill. :xyxthumbs