View Full Version : Abrasiveness of #9 vs. #80?

imported_The Uncle
11-04-2004, 12:12 PM
I`m sure this has been discussed before here (although, it is a little hard to get anything by using the search button and "9" as a search string!). But, I`ve been wondering about the arasiveness of the Meguairs line. I`ve got a fairly new car and I`ve taken good care of the finish. I`m about to restart my clay-AIO-SG cycle, and I think I MAY have developed some minor paint imperfections in the last year (I`ve found a few very fine scratches) although there isn`t much in the way of swirl marks.

Anyway, I do happen to have a bottle of #9 in my collection. But, I wondered if #80 would be a better option. If there are any problems at all, I want to take a very gentle approach.

Accumulator
11-04-2004, 12:16 PM
Well, the #9 is *the* gentle approach in the Meg`s line. Quite possibly *too* gentle, but try it and find out. I`d go with the #80 next if that didn`t cut it.

imported_The Uncle
11-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Thank you very much. That is exactly the information I needed! :xyxthumbs

vdog0531
11-04-2004, 01:54 PM
aren`t they both a 3 on the cutting level?

a.k.a. Patrick
11-04-2004, 01:57 PM
9 is the consumer line, whereas 80 is the professional line....According to my research yesterday.... I had the same inquiry and the search for 9 or 80 resulted in nothing. There both advertised as a cleaner and polish on the Megs web site.....

Douxebris
11-04-2004, 05:25 PM
#9 is 3 on the abrasive scale, #80 is a 4. Also, #80 has some wax protection added, as well. To help in your search, type in Speed Glaze.

Accumulator
11-04-2004, 05:37 PM
IIRC, the abrasive-scale rating for the #80 is incorrrect. I dunno if Meg`s has fixed it yet (or on the bottle you have). #80 is considerably more aggressive than #9 but not *too* aggressive.

Heh heh, I wouldn`t even place #9 at a "3" it`s so mild, but that`s just me and Meg`s didn`t ask my opinion :D

Oh, and the protection in the #80 isn`t "wax" (sorry to nitpick :o ), it`s some synthetic that`s a) fresh-paint friendly and b) *very* short-lived. Unless you`re using it on a fresh repait, get some LSP over top of it.

Douxebris
11-04-2004, 06:15 PM
Accumulator,

You seem to _like_ picking my nits. But that`s okay, you`re keeping me honest.

Yeah, I too seem to remember Mike saying that #80 had an incorrect rating, but what can I do but to try to answer the original question, besides reading the labels?

And I apologize for my cavalier use of the word "wax", when "protectant" would`ve been a more proper term.

Again, just trying to succinctly point the original poster in the right direction. Next time I post, I`ll use a minimum of 10 lines of script, just to protect my nits.

imported_The Uncle
11-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Either way, you guys picking each others` nits is a good way for beginners like me to learn something, and is much appreciated.

imported_The Uncle
11-04-2004, 06:45 PM
BTW, if I wanted to use a product like #9 (i.e, a VERY mild polish), what other products would you recommend? We`re talking about a step in-between clay and AIO for a car with very minor surface problems.

stevet
11-04-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by The Uncle

BTW, if I wanted to use a product like #9 (i.e, a VERY mild polish), what other products would you recommend? We`re talking about a step in-between clay and AIO for a car with very minor surface problems.

In the Megs line #82 is very close to #9 in abrasiveness. They are both a 3 but #82 (Swirl Free Polish) is slightly more abrasive.

3M Perfect It III Machine Glaze is an excellent mild polish. IMO more abrasive than #9 or #82 but still very mild.

Alfisti
11-04-2004, 09:05 PM
I know AIO has quite strong cleaners in it, but doesn`t it also contain some polishing abrasives similar in scale to #9?

Is my understanding incorrect?

imported_The Uncle
11-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by stevet

In the Megs line #82 is very close to #9 in abrasiveness. They are both a 3 but #82 (Swirl Free Polish) is slightly more abrasive.

3M Perfect It III Machine Glaze is an excellent mild polish. IMO more abrasive than #9 or #82 but still very mild.

Thanks, Steve.