PDA

View Full Version : Just got a new car... with swil issues.

mnbv
11-03-2004, 10:49 PM
I just replaced a 1996 HX Civic:

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/17286right_side_with_tree.jpg

With a Black 1996 EX Civic. This new car is not as nice as the red one, but it is what I was looking for. It has more body imperfections then my old car, but I need to save up more money for a motor cycle this spring. I got a check for 4800 for that civic because it got totaled, and this black one cost 3800.

Now, the black civic has a tiny bit of rust, a few dings and some scraches. I don`t plan on trying to fix those problems, but I would like to get rid of some of the swirls as they stand out so much on black.

I will be working by hand to save money, I have about 15 of those little terry applicators to work with. I just need a good polish suggestion. I want the paint to look great, at least where there are not imperfections.

I have a clay magic bar to work with and I will probably be getting EO wet car wash also as I just ran out. I use an autopia mitt and an UDT from autopia also. I have 4 (two my brother accidently used to wipe his greasey hands) kakhi buffing towels. Is it possible to get out those grease stains? The UDT also has some on it. I probably need to get some more MF from pak shak or something, I could try thier micro restore. Besides that, I need some decent hand applied polishes, and just a good sealer will do, I`ll probably go with EX-P.

I am not going for too much beauty or else I would have gotten a nicer car. The goal is to save money, so keep that in mind before you suggest me to get 40 MF towels, 6 different polishes and of course a PC with 12 different pads.

Pics are forthcoming. :wavey

andrew300
11-03-2004, 11:02 PM
depending on how severe they are, you can use megs 9,80,82 or 83. if they are anything beyond light swirls, you cant get them out by hand so i would suggest if you dont have a pc, then pick up some glaze or anything that has fillers to hide them. megs products work well for me and i heard 3m has some good stuff too. good luck

mnbv
11-03-2004, 11:13 PM
Also, it getting real cold here fast, but I could borrow a space heater from my brother and work in the garage. I wanna get these swirl taken care of before it get like 35 for a high. I don`t think I`ll get pics up soon enough for that, so try to answer with what I have written.

I would say they are swils from like an automatic car wash and general wear and tear on the paint over the years. Any specific steps and polishes you could give me? I wouldent mind them being local, but if 1z or poorboy`s stuff is better and more user friendly for hand applications, I`ll go for it.

fyi:I know of a good thread on how to polish by hand, so that is not an issue.

imported_liam
11-04-2004, 12:23 AM
don`t want to post that link here do you? :D

imported_liam
11-04-2004, 12:25 AM
grrr... i lost my account - now i`ve ben reset to 1 post... life is hard...

dcswd
11-04-2004, 12:30 PM
You could always try out the 1z Line of polishes.

1z UP and 1z PP followed by 1z Glanz Wax. That should work out pretty well. I dont know if you would need the lighther 1z MP in there or not. Glanz Wax is pretty cool though. Its definitely different and it will give a nice look to everything when your done.

1z has been rated well for hand applications. It will still be a lot of work by hand no matter what you choose, but this should work out well. I think its worth looking into.

As for the mfs with grease in them, as a last shot, you could try a degreaser diluted. Something like Megs APC 10:1 or other good product.

Hope this helps :D

mnbv
11-04-2004, 09:43 PM
The color Granada black pearl. It seems to have glitter in the paint in direct sunlight. After the de greaser, should I just soak them in water, or could I use oxy clean diluted to take out the de greaser? I can`t find that thread on how to hand polish, and you gave the advice dcswd! ;)

dcswd
11-05-2004, 02:52 PM
I looked real quickly on the hand polishing and didnt see anything :nixweiss :D I know scottwax has posted some good stuff on hand polishing.

As for the mfs, I would try this:

Spray a diluted degreaser on the stains.

Rub it in a little bit,

lightly rinse with water,

then do your normal wash cycle for mfs

mnbv
11-05-2004, 05:25 PM
I have never washed my mf`s, I`ll search more for hand polishing.