PDA

View Full Version : well got my pc...allready had an accident..help

Pages : [1] 2

andrew300
11-03-2004, 08:39 PM
well i just got my pc 7224 today with my sonus pads and velcro backing plate. well i was doing car and all of a sudden, the pad and backing plate break off and fly. after this happened i saw on the counterweight that came with it, that it is only for 5 inch pads. could this have caused this? also i had the little spacer on there that they told me to put on. was i not suspost to put this on? please help as i am relatively new at this. oh and btw that spacer flew off and went right through my garage door at speed 6. i dont know why the pad only flew 3 feet. did i do something wrong or should i be contacting pc or sonus. now i have to get a new backing plate and i dont want to do this again so i need some help asap. thanks.

oaevo8u
11-03-2004, 08:43 PM
thats weird, I just put my tightend down my backing plate with the supplied wrench and went on my way.

andrew300
11-03-2004, 08:44 PM
did you use the spacer that came with it?

oaevo8u
11-03-2004, 08:51 PM
no I didnt

andrew300
11-03-2004, 08:52 PM
oh that was my problem. also should i be using a bigger counterweight? i have the sonus 7 inch pads with the velcro backing plate and the thing vibrates like crazy on speed 6.

imported_perry
11-03-2004, 09:11 PM
With a 6" counterweight, 5" backing plate, and 6 or 6.5" pads I feel like I get too much vibration at speed 6. I just don`t crank it up that high.

andrew300
11-03-2004, 09:26 PM
anyone else think i should change the counterweight? i am using the one that came with the tool and in the hook and loop kit from pc, it contained a counterweight that said use with 6 inch pads. the one on there now says for use with 5 inch pads. i am using the sonus 7 inch pads with backing plate. should i change the weight?

dcswd
11-03-2004, 09:32 PM
You have the counterweight for 6" pads already? Then yeah, I would switch over to it. If you dont have it, I think you can get it pretty cheap anyways. This will only help with the vibration.

As to why the stuff flew off... I`m not sure. It could be because of the spacer. Try hooking everything up with out it and see how it works. If you dont need it, dont use it.

oaevo8u
11-03-2004, 09:32 PM
This is what I did...took the backing plate with the sonus kit and attached it and stuck a pad on..thats it and it works fine. I have never used it on speed 6, 5 works just for me.

andrew300
11-03-2004, 09:40 PM
yea im sure its from the spacer. well i learned my lesson the hard way, just have to buy a new plate. atleast that thing didnt hit me :)

oaevo8u
11-03-2004, 10:51 PM
lol...im not sure what size it is but go to exceldeatail.com, patrick has some plates for really cheap.

Setec Astronomy
11-04-2004, 04:59 AM
What spacer? The 1/16" thick fiber disc? That had nothing to do with the backing plate coming apart, dude. If the plate broke before it came off, then it sounds like you had a defective backing plate, overtightened it, or have a serious operator problem. If it broke after it hit something, it sounds like maybe you didn`t tighten it enough and it came loose.

You don`t need to tighten the backing plate much, but don`t overtighten it, either. You need to use the supplied backup wrench, and snug the backing plate by hand.

togwt
11-04-2004, 05:47 AM
~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations~

Iâ€â„¢m in agreement with Setec Astronomy

a) A fiberboard washer also comes with the machine, it is intended to fit between the backing pad and the spindle, so that it gives additional clearance between the pad and unit so getting the wrench in between them is easier. Some machineâ€â„¢s come with this washer pre-installed on the backing pad, but often it`s loose in a plastic bag.

b) Backing Plates:

Backing plates are fitted with Velcro to enable attachment of Velcro backed foam pads. To change the backing plate use the flat spindle wrench (PN 69200) supplied with the machine, to hold the centre spindle and rotate the backing plate counter-clockwise to loosen or clockwise to tighten (until it â€Ëœbitesâ€â„¢, do not over-tighten)

FWIW-lightweight moulded flexible Urethane backing plates are superior to the more ridged and heavier backing plates commonly used.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

paco
11-04-2004, 06:09 AM
A counterweight may or may not help with vibration a very very little bit. There`s no way that it caused your problem.

It`s probably just a defective backing plate.

Were you bearing down the machine any? That could have contributed to the failure if the backing plate isn`t of high quality. I personally use a 3M one which is excellently constructed.

Paco

andrew300
11-04-2004, 02:53 PM
well i was using the sonus backing plate which have way fewer threads than the regular backing plate so im guessing the added amount from the spacer caused it to break off as it only had about 2 or 3 threads to tighten onto. maybe they should consider making more threads on the plate