PDA

View Full Version : Honda black paint

crbeatty
11-03-2004, 04:01 PM
I have a 1998 black Honda Accord. About six months ago I noticed the paint on the rear section near the top of the back window looked dull and had a whitish tinge around the dull section. I also noticed a whitish spot on the trunk lid. The area on the top seems to be spreading. A couple detail places said it was a bad paint job and the dealer suggested I use vinegar and water to take it off.

Please help. I am not an expert but willing to follow your advice. Consumer Reports steered me in your direction. Thanks.

DSVWGLI
11-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Welcome crbeatty, with out seeing your car I can`t be 100% sure but it sounds like your paint could be oxidizing or even worse clear coat failure. You could try to polish the area to see what happens, if it`s oxidation it will polish off and if it`s clear coat failure you will see black on your pad or cloth. I hope your dealing with oxidation. Good luck and let me know how you made out.

Steve

jimmybuffit
11-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Pics. we gotta have pics...

Is it the blue mica (metallica) black?

Jim

Scottwax
11-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Sounds like clearcoat failure to me too. Pics would really help.

imported_liam
11-04-2004, 12:44 AM
detailed a families friends car today, had clearcoat failure on his bonnet, did have the heart to tell him :(

crbeatty
11-16-2004, 06:04 PM
It is clear coat failure. From checking, it appears the remedy is to repaint and then detail the car. Does anyone have any additional thoughts or recommendations? Thanks.