PDA

View Full Version : Please help differentiating between these 3M polishes

Spilchy
11-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Please help me understand the differences between the 3M polishes on this page:

http://www.premiumautocare.com/3m.html

I am looking to try some of these out with either the rotary or he PC to clear up rotary holograms.

3M Finesse It II Machine Polish 39003

3M Perfect It II Rubbing Compound 39002

3M Perfect It III Compound 05933

3M Perfect It III Extra Cut Rubbing Compound 05936

3M Perfect It III Machine Glaze 05937

Bill D
11-03-2004, 01:33 PM
05933 and 05937 are the ones mentioned most here for use with both the PC and rotary. That Perfect It II stuff can be found at any "Poop Boys" or similar chain parts store

stevet
11-03-2004, 01:42 PM
Spilchy,

I own all of those polishes and compounds except the Perfect It III Extra Cut.

This how they rank from most abrasive to least abrasive.

Perfect It III Extra Cut Rubbing Compound

Perfect It II Rubbing Compound

Perfect It III Rubbing Compound

Finesse It II Machine Polish

Perfect It III Machine Glaze

Perfect It II and III Rubbing Compound are very close in abrasive level. Perfect It III dusts less and leaves a better finish.

Finesse It II Machine Polish IMO is about as abrasive as DACP. It takes a while to break down by PC but leaves a nice finish.

Perfect It III Machine Glaze is very mild and used as a follow up to the compounds or for very light Marring.

All of these products work well by hand and PC. They do not have fillers in them either.

Spilchy
11-03-2004, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the input fellas :xyxthumbs

I placed the order for the Perfect It III Machine Glaze to use via PC to remove holograms that I create :o :p

I also have 1Z MP and PP to aid in this as well although I have never used them yet.

Hey Bill, if you`re still on this thread, how much more "aggressive" is PP compared to MP?

Thanks.

Bill D
11-03-2004, 02:04 PM
PP gets the job done on micromarring while IMO it could be hit or miss with the MP via PC. MP is probably best reserved as a choice for very last step polish. Often times you can go right from the PP to a LSP with nothing in between.

Accumulator
11-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Spilchy- If you got the regular, pink MP in the rectangular can, don`t expect it to do much correction; the PP is quite a bit more aggressive. Otherwise, what Bill D said.

Ditto on the 3M stuff- what stevet said.

Don`t bother with the Extra Cut, it`s just *too* aggressive IMO. Even with different pads, speeds, etc. I can`t get it to leave a decent finish, even with the rotary. WAY too much marring, and not "micro" marring either!

Between the PI-II and PI-III RCs, get the PI-III (05933). No scary warning about the dust being carcinogenic, like the one on the PI-II stuff!

Oh, and the MG works pretty well by rotary too. Cuts a lot more than it does by PC. I`ve even taken marring out of Audi clear with MG/polishing pad/rotary. Sometimes leaves holograms though, but I suppose most products can do that.