PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar`s Tire Gloss goes dull quick

KenSilver
11-03-2004, 03:38 AM
I applied Meguiar`s Gold Class Endurance High Gloss - 2 coats - on brand new tires, and it looked good.

But after a 45 minute run in the dry, the shine lessened considerably. The next day it seemed there was little shine at all... perhaps about 25%.

Is this a common problem?

I`m partial to Meguiar`s for tires because it prevents browning, but I`ve only ever used the natural. This gloss product seems to have a lot of shiny particles in the goo which may get thrown off during a drive... I don`t know.

Is there another product which will give and keep the gloss shine going, or should I be doing something else with the Meguiar`s?

Ken Silver

--------------

1999 Mercedes SLK, 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara, 1993 Mercedes SL500, 1991 Daimler (Vanden Plas). Finish detailing, then start all over again...

imported_memnuts
11-03-2004, 03:59 AM
If you like high gloss EO Wet maintains its shine and if properly applied (tire swipe) will not gum-up or sling.

For a less glossier appearance but pricier product that seems to hang in there I suggest Zaino Tire shine. 1 coat matte appearance, 2 coats higher gloss. Not sling or gumming-up problems.

The new Meg tire shine (black aerosol can), can not remember name, is also very good for high gloss and durability for non-monsoon driving conditions. It is also a great fender well dressing also.

imported_pdsterns
11-03-2004, 06:15 AM
I applied when I was rotating the tires. Jacked up front and put on jack stands, jacked up rear and removed wheels one at a time. Cleaned up wheels, inside and out, washed and dried and then applied the Megs when the wheel(s) were flat on the ground and let dry. Goes on really even and seems to last longer. It`s been about 1000 miles and they have just started to dull up but still look very nice, just flat black. I know it`s alot of work to take of wheels but if you have them off put the stuff on when the wheel is horizontal you can really do a much better job. Don`t forget to wax the wheels you won`t believe the difference. The wife came out and said " what the fu*&%$$% did you do to the wheels, that is sinful"

KenSilver
11-05-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

If you like high gloss EO Wet maintains its shine and if properly applied (tire swipe) will not gum-up or sling.

For a less glossier appearance but pricier product that seems to hang in there I suggest Zaino Tire shine. 1 coat matte appearance, 2 coats higher gloss. Not sling or gumming-up problems.

The new Meg tire shine (black aerosol can), can not remember name, is also very good for high gloss and durability for non-monsoon driving conditions. It is also a great fender well dressing also.

Thanks for the Eagle idea - I`ll check that out. You also reminded me I had the Meguiar`s Hot Shine aerosol in my cleaning stock too, so I`ll give that a try again!

Ken Silver

--------------

1999 Mercedes SLK, 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara, 1993 Mercedes SL500, 1991 Daimler (Vanden Plas). Finish detailing, then start all over again...

topnotchtouch
11-05-2004, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by KenSilver

I applied Meguiar`s Gold Class Endurance High Gloss - 2 coats - on brand new tires, and it looked good.

But after a 45 minute run in the dry, the shine lessened considerably. The next day it seemed there was little shine at all... perhaps about 25%.

Is this a common problem?

I haven`t really used the High Gloss formula as I am more partial to the original formula but, did you go back and buff the excess off after you applied it to all the tires. What I typically do is put it on pretty heavily on each tire, wait about 15 minutes or so and go back and wipe the tires down to remove any excess. If you have a high buildup or excess Endurance on the tires it will just collect dirt and trash from the road.