PDA

View Full Version : PC friendly final polishes to clear up holograms

Pages : [1] 2

Spilchy
11-02-2004, 06:16 PM
What polish do you guys like to use to clear up holograms with the PC prior to your LSP?

Traditionally, I like using glazes, but obviously they will cover holograms.

What PC friendly polishes are out there that will clear up holograms but leave a glaze-like finish?

Bill D
11-02-2004, 06:21 PM
First thing that comes to mind is Menzerna Final Polish/ II

In my arsenal I`d try out 1z Metallic Polish as well

JasonD
11-02-2004, 06:22 PM
There`s quite a few that will work but the first that comes to mind would be 3M PI III MG. It`s a mild polish that will remove the holograms and doesn`t contain any protectants so you can go right on top if it with you LSP, either sealant or wax.

Accumulator
11-02-2004, 06:28 PM
All depends on the severity of the holograms and the hardness of the paint.

Same ol` same ol` try something mild then get more aggressive if needed.

Menzerna FP might be *too* mild, same with 1Z MP. And I like using 3m stuff on holograms instead of 1Z since it`s easier to see what`s really going on (no need for alcohol spritzer).

I too would try PI-III MG first. Then I`d use PI-III RC if that didn`t work. Then drop back down. Remember that the PI-III RC is pretty mild by PC, whereas your #80 was pretty aggressive *by rotary*.

Bill D
11-02-2004, 06:34 PM
Speaking of the PI III RC , I recently tried it out via rotary and a LC polishing pad and it left behind minor dulling :eek: as I expected from a traditional rc but I was surprised by this from this product given how folks have described it. I definitely had to follow up with the PI III MG.

Accumulator, is this typical for you?

Accumulator
11-03-2004, 08:27 AM
Bill D- No, I can`t say that the PI-III RC really left any dulling when I used it by rotary. Must be some difference in our techniques...not that I really remember anything specific about how I used it :o

All part of the rotary learning curve, I suppose.

Glossequation
11-03-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Spilchy

What polish do you guys like to use to clear up holograms with the PC prior to your LSP?

Traditionally, I like using glazes, but obviously they will cover holograms.

What PC friendly polishes are out there that will clear up holograms but leave a glaze-like finish?

3M PI III MG

imported_jgv
11-03-2004, 09:42 AM
Menzerna IP and then FP ;)

captkirk2
11-03-2004, 10:40 AM
I havent had any problems with dulling using PI III RC with the rotary. I use the white 3M compounding waffle pads. IMO the 3M waffles are the best whether used with 3M products or not.

mgm2003
11-03-2004, 11:48 AM
I`m with jgv, Menzerna IP, followed up by Final Polish II should do the trick.

Gonzo
11-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Or 1Z PP followed by FP

Accumulator
11-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Only (potential) problem with using 1Z PP is that unless you do an alcohol wipe you might fill/hide the holograms instead of truly removing them. Yeah, it can remove them, but still, it wouldn`t be my first choice for this job.

andriver
11-03-2004, 03:52 PM
1Z PP.

Scottwax
11-03-2004, 06:06 PM
DACP or #80.

RedondoV6
11-04-2004, 06:13 AM
3M PI-III RC followed by MG.

Using a PC I do find that I need to follow the RC with MG sometimes due RC leaving the surface dull; this only seems to be a problem when I "work" the PC hard by using a 4" pad and applying some weight. It is very difficult to "bog down" the PC using a 4" pad, very useful when you want to remove a more serious imperfection.