PDA

View Full Version : Help! How should I remove dried wax from pits on hood and front of front fenders?

ILUVMYA4
11-02-2004, 02:39 PM
I need some advice from the experts. Here`s the scoop. After two years and two Massachusetts winters my 2002 Dolphin Gray B6 Audi A4 has accumulated a few small rock chips and hundreds of little pencil tip size chips thanks to cinders and other small road debris.

This Summer was the first time I really started giving my A4 the TLC it deserves. I stopped going to the local brushless car wash and started hand washing, polishing and waxing. Needless to say after the second waxing of the Summer I noticed that the areas on my front bumper, front fenders and hood that contained the small pencil tip size chips started show more than they had before I started hand polishing and waxing.

(For reference I`ve been using a Meguiars car wash, Mequiars #7 Show Glaze and Zymbol Caranuba Wax. I`m washing with a Chenille Mitt, drying with a microfiber towel; apply polish and wax by hand with a Hand-grip Foam Applicator and removing polish and wax with white microfiber cloths.)

Is this white residue actually dried wax that has built up in small pits? The small little pits aren`t so deep that they have gone through the clearcoat and paint (I know a few of the bigger rock chips have gone all the way through and that`s life).

What should I do? How can I clean pits to get the residue out? What product should I use to accomplish this and then after I have cleaned them, what products other than the ones I have been using should I use to polish and wax my Audi so I don`t end up with the same problem again.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any insight that you might have.

travisdecpn
11-02-2004, 02:45 PM
you can use a q-tip and 50/50 alcohol and water solution to clean out the pits.

YoSteve
11-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by ILUVMYA4

Audi A4 has accumulated a few small rock chips and hundreds of little pencil tip size chips thanks to cinders and other small road debris.

First of all, nice car, cousin :)

Second, you need to stop tailgaiting people so you won`t have so many chips on your hood. It really is all your fault :o If you cared about your car you`d stay more than two car distances behind the car in front of you when at all possible.

But besides that, to answer your question, I use 3m adhesive and wax remover.

TW85 HHI
11-02-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by YoSteve

Second, you need to stop tailgaiting people so you won`t have so many chips on your hood. It really is all your fault :o If you cared about your car you`d stay more than two car distances behind the car in front of you when at all possible.

Decent advice...as long as the vehicle in front of you is not a semi towing a mud encrusted tractor that is at least 4 car lengths ahead of you. :angry

ILUVMYA4
11-02-2004, 10:41 PM
For starters I must admit that I don`t tail gate. But it`s really hard on Massachusetts highways in morning and evening rush hour going 30 to 40 mph to not be close to the car ahead or you. If you give way several car lengths the car next to you will just move ahead of you and so on and so on.

Someone on the Audi World site suggested a 50/50 mixture of alcohol and water to clean out the pits.

What kind of wax should I use in the future that won`t dry white like the Zybol Caranuba wax?

crobinso
11-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by ILUVMYA4

For starters I must admit that I don`t tail gate. But it`s really hard on Massachusetts highways in morning and evening rush hour going 30 to 40 mph to not be close to the car ahead or you. If you give way several car lengths the car next to you will just move ahead of you and so on and so on. And?

I don`t tailgate. I keep back, and the cars next to me and behind me pass me then pull in front. I continue to maintain a safe distance nonetheless.

A bigger danger than rocks being thrown into your car by those other cars is the danger of you rear-ending them if everyone stops suddenly. But now I`m waay off-topic...

Sorry,

Charles