PDA

View Full Version : weird residue with AIO

Pages : [1] 2

serrow
11-02-2004, 03:50 AM
So i have been hearing a lot of people struggling with SG and the haze it can leave from time to time. have any of you experienced the same using AIO? I washed, clayed and aio the other day. then had a SEVERE downpour. Before the rain, there was no residue, then afterward, sure enough, all over the car there was a film like i never wiped it off?

any idea what it was? I went over the car pretty well. no QD final wipe tho.

scottabir
11-02-2004, 03:52 AM
never had that happen to me before. I always use a topper over it for protection purposes. maybe that played into effect??? I dont know really.

imported_memnuts
11-02-2004, 06:53 AM
Most sealants should not be exposured to wet weather immediately after application. This moisture hinders initial crosslinking. This may have been the cause of your hazing. Un-crosslinked AIO sitting on surface.

Gonzo
11-02-2004, 07:22 AM
I can think of a few things here.

(1) It may be that all of the AOI was not removed at wipe-off time. Paint looked streak free, but might not have been. Sometimes it helps to use EO W&S (a) the get AIO on very thin per CMA (b) to remove any possible streaking, even if you think there is none.

(2) Did you shake the AIO really well before and during application?

(3) at wipe-off, did you change MF`s frequently. I have observed that AIO is much easier to remove with a fresh clean MF surface.

Hope this helps. Don`t give up on AIO or SG either. Like everything else, there is a learning curve. Do the learning and wear sunglasses - the shine can blind you!

BTW, I have had AIO alone get wet but have never seen the situation you describe.

Setec Astronomy
11-02-2004, 08:14 AM
Isn`t this just the Bill North/Accumlator/Bill D breathing on the surface to see the AIO/SG, amplified? When I wasn`t sure I was putting any on, I breathed on the surface (like you would do with your glasses) and could see the "whisper" that I had applied.

Gonzo
11-02-2004, 08:38 AM
Setec,

I`m a lazy kind of "anal" :D , not the 100%, full blown and raging "anal" of the guys you mention. :shocked

Setec Astronomy
11-02-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Gonzo

Setec,

I`m a lazy kind of "anal" :D , not the 100%, full blown and raging "anal" of the guys you mention. :shocked

Hey!! I`m not getting personal, what I meant isn`t the rain on serrow`s car like breathing on it. I`m agreeing that maybe he didn`t get it all buffed off, and the rain made it appear like it does when you breathe on it.

Gonzo
11-02-2004, 08:55 AM
Mike,

I didn`t take it personally, not to worry.

Accumulator
11-02-2004, 12:22 PM
Heh heh heh..."full blown and raging"....heh heh heh . Probably sums up pretty much every area of endeavor in my life :D

Regarding the AIO residue and water, IMO the matter of degree is what counts. A little moisture from your breath is different from a torrential downpour and there`s a wide range in between.

I`m with Gonzo, I think there was a little AIO left on the surface, not enough to *normally* matter, but enough that it did matter when the rain factored in. No biggie, IMO, just work at more complete removal next time.

White95Max
11-02-2004, 06:34 PM
I`ve seen a haze on my car after QDing it. If we get a humid (foggy) night then the fog will condense on my car and reveal a streaky haze on it. I can wipe it off again with a fresh MF, but it will come right back. Once the car gets washed normally, the haze is gone.

serrow
11-02-2004, 06:44 PM
thanks for all your replies... as far as how much rain? well we are on the 3rd day of cancelled classes at the University of Hawaii. How fun! Too bad i am not a student, but staff.

I own a new Odyssey and the darn thing is HUGE. I`ll be buying a PC to make the whole process a little less difficult, and maybe that will ensure a better wipe off. Oh yeah, i forgot to mention... the wife was the one holding the MFs and wiping off. bless her soul!

Mahalo

lpquick
11-02-2004, 06:51 PM
Living in Alabama, when isn`t it raining? My first time using the Klasse twins and after SG, I noticed what you have described. I confirmed it again later on my second and then third applications of SG. Supposedly due to the moisture I get a hazing left on various places that I know were completely wiped and buffed. If I washed the vehicle the hazing wouldn`t return. Something to think about when using SG, when it going to rain or like in my case where it`s humid all the time, you must expect this and be prepared to deal with it. Doesn`t matter if you use the wipe on wipe off method or the more traditional method of letting it sit for at least 30 minutes up to overnight you still get hazing. I thought at the time I was putting it on to thick or doing something wrong, since most people were not having this problem, but have since learned it`s due to the humidity. I will say this, it`s been over three months since my SGX3 with a LSP of Pinnacle every 3 or 4 weeks and the car still looks great, slick finish and good beading.:bounce

YoSteve
11-02-2004, 06:52 PM
also make sure to rinse and wring out your AIO applicator between panels

BillNorth
11-03-2004, 09:47 AM
The rain is what caused your problem with AIO. Sealants should be allowed to cure in dry conditions for at least 24 hours.

I`ve seen this phenomenon with SG when using the wet and dry towel technique to remove it. This is why I started using WOO instead of WDT (Wet and Dry Towel).

This also proves further that layering klasse back to back to back, as has been recommended by some members, is a big mistake. The product must cure in order to really layer it.

RJJ
11-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Bill, I only let SG set for about 20 minutes between apps, usually three, and I have never,ever have had a problem of any kind with the product. Each and every time the results have been astounding and the results extremely long lived.

I don`t know what caused the problem with this member but rain water would not be high on my suspect list, unless the car was not washed before additional work began. I also am leaning towards imcomplete removal of the product.