PDA

View Full Version : 4star/platinum UPP

White95Max
11-01-2004, 12:13 AM
I have heard a lot of great thoughts on UPP. I like the idea of a wet and slick finish, but I also think the product`s smell is important. I read the reviews on UPP and the smell didn`t seem to be a strongpoint by any means.

Is this product worth getting despite the smell? Do you guy`s apply it outside to minimize the odor or the product?

BTW, I`m looking for a good winter protection product.

I have 3 coats of EX-P on now, but I thought I could add a layer of something else on top. I think the Paste Glaz that was over the EX-P has already worn off.

imported_Interspy24
11-01-2004, 12:30 AM
To me, the smell of the product wasn`t that bad. It`s nothing good, but I didn`t find it offensive. It was on par with any other consumer otc polish. I applied it in my garage and wasn`t a problem for me. Maybe someone can chime in on if the newer version has been reformulated for this?

Either or, the slickness and the shine this product has to offer is incredible. Slicker than anything I`ve ever tried, and it stays slick for quite some time. I`d definately recommend it.

White95Max
11-01-2004, 12:37 AM
The problem I have with many LSPs is that the slickness is greatly diminished after the first wash. So UPP retains its slickness after several washes or more?

Pats300zx
11-01-2004, 05:28 AM
So UPP retains its slickness after several washes or more?

I used UPP about a month ago. I washed the car yesterday and even after numerous weekly washes the finish is still very slick.

Craigster
11-01-2004, 08:15 AM
I`m having just the opposite.

After 2 coats one week apart, the slickness is very diminished and showing marring.

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46022

I also notice after rain, the road grime, dirt, etc seems like is sticking a lot more than with Zaino; despite UPP felt superslick after I used it.

AudiOn19s
11-01-2004, 08:37 AM
Well here`s my take on UPP in it`s latest version. I detailed an Escillade EXT on 10/11 with UPP. I went back yesterday for a hand wash on this vehicle which has also been through an automated car wash since my last visit. I was afraid that the visit to the automated wash would have removed the UPP from the finish but to my suprise I found the surface to still be very slick when I was washing. I put one more coat of UPP on just for good measure as this is one of my best clients and I have to say that although UPP still isn`t my absolutel favorite sealant it has soo many positive attributes that I will be purchasing a gallon of it to use next season on nearly all of my customer details. The combo of AIO and UPP is quickly becoming a favorite of mine ESP. becuase of the time savings that it provides over products that require you to buff forever like SG or Zaino. I sill have customers that will requrest the Klasse or Zaino...but for all other work I`m switching over to the AIO / UPP combo from here on out

As for the smell..I do find it to be a bit strong esp in enclosed areas but really have no problem in a space that breathes well and it`s not something that`s going to deter me from using such a great product in many other respects.

Quick note (sorry for dragging on) I also picked up a free bottle of the 4* UGE. Unfortunatly I`m not as impressed with this product as the UPP. There`s really nothing wrong...and if you like pleasant scents this one smells like Hawaiian Tropic sun tan lotion...brings back memories of the beach..but I found that even over UPP when attempting to rub in the UGE it had quite a bit of drag on the Microfiber and required some pretty good effort to rub it in. Z6 and Crystal Mist are still my favorite QD`s for the respective product underneith (Z6 over sealants and crystal mist over caranumba).

Andy

Accumulator
11-01-2004, 01:09 PM
I don`t find the smell of UPP objectionable either. Maybe the durablility is sensitive to cerain washing technique/products (though I wonder after reading about the carwash). Mine stays slick for a long time, but that`s with my "extreme wash method" and using Griot`s Car Wash, which seems *very* easy on many LSPs.

TCL
11-01-2004, 06:10 PM
I found the smell strong when I first used the bottle but it seemed to weaken the second time I used the product. The excess fumes must have disipated after the bottle was first opened. In any case, the odor is not pleasing. I prefer the smell of Blackfire but that would stop me from using UPP. I currently have several bottles of each and am experimenting on the four different color cars in the household to see which I prefer on what color.