PDA

View Full Version : Surface Scratches on BMW Mystic Blue Metallic - Need Assistance Please>>>

imported_SilverStallion
10-31-2004, 01:44 PM
I just finished detailing my new 2004 330i M Sport Mystic Blue that I just picked up yesterday.

http://images8.fotki.com/v123/photos/5/50728/1470740/DSC01092-vi.jpg

I have one area on the hood where I had a stone hit it on my way home from the dealership last night and it left 2 scrubs where it rode up the hood. I used Klasse AIO and Zaino Scratch remover, and now I have some fine scratches in that area. They are very minimal, but I would like to reduce them...what can I use to accomplish this? I do my detailing by hand and do not use a PC.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I would like them out before I take it out to show my buddies.

Thanks.

~Darren

Eliot Ness
10-31-2004, 02:13 PM
Meg`s ScratchX is made to be used by hand and is available over the counter at auto parts stores, Wal-Mart, etc.. That`d be a good product to start out with.

here is a link that shows how to use it:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1516

imported_pugoman
10-31-2004, 02:21 PM
Yeah, Megs ScratchX would be your best bet to try first. Apply it with a sponge applicator first and see if that works. If the scratches are still there, then go over the area again with ScratchX on a mf cloth or folded terry cloth for a bit more bite. Don`t let it dry on as it can be a PITA to remove.

eShine
10-31-2004, 02:21 PM
Darren, its tough removing by hand but if you tried Klasse already you need to step it up a notch to a swirl remover. If your in a hurry go to Canadian tire, they stock Meguiars #9 or #82, It will have more swirl removing capabilities than the Klasse or Zaino. If that doesnâ€â„¢t work you many need to step up to a slight abrasive like Meguiars #2 Fine cut cleaner. Last but not least there is Meguiars ScratchX. These are all products you may be able to find in stock at Crappy Tire. I hope that helps!

s2skimon
10-31-2004, 04:06 PM
hide swirls by hand,

remove them with porter cable use ....are rules I live by.

Compound work by hand is a lot more difficult and i`ve found many people complain of "hazing" amongst other complaints as they are using too much product, and simply not working in it as it should. I can`t tell you how many people I deal with who "screw up" their finishes and then I have to help them bring it back.

So if you can, i`d either use a product to "hide" the swirls then take it a "detailer" who can properly remove them

Accumulator
10-31-2004, 05:10 PM
Maybe I`m reading this wrong, but it sounds like the marring/surface scratches might be from the efforts with AIO/Zaino instead of from the rock damage. If that`s the case, whatever you`re using to apply prouduct is probably scratching the finish when you rub hard. Better find something softer.

But in any event, yeah, you need a mildly abrasive polish to remove the marring. I would *not* use Meg`s #2 on that car!!

If something consumer-grade/OTC like Scratch-X doesn`t get it, I`d buy something like 3M`s PI-III MG (pn 39012/05937 depending on the size). It`s a good general-purpose, mildly abrasive polish to have on hand. *Very* user-friendly, even by hand. If it`s not strong enough, precede it with some 3M PI-III RC (pn 05933), which also works well by hand. Again, it`s good to have these products around. Buy them now and you`ll be all set to deal with marring for a very long time. And yeah, they work fine by hand. I like these *much* better than the Meg`s offerings.

LINK to PI-III MG (http://www.handsontools.com/store/show_product/?product_id=3825)

eShine
10-31-2004, 07:02 PM
Accumulator, I agree that There are better products than Meguiars but it sounded like he wanted to get these products today. Being in Canada there is limited selection. I have used Meguiars #2 fine cut cleaner with great results on Black and dark cars. Personally I now use Poorboys swirl removers.

Darren, between the Stang, Bimmer and your other Jewels, I highly recommend getting a PC for those bumps and bruises along the way, It is much safer than hand application.

audipower
10-31-2004, 07:16 PM
I got some out with 1z with just a craftsman. If u know anybody that has one. Scratch-X isn`t the greatest if at all good.

imported_SilverStallion
10-31-2004, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Well, it is better than it was, but there are still a few small (1.5") surface scratches where there must have been some grit on my applicator.

Chris...which of the Poorboys would you use? Also, can it be done by hand? I do not like buff marks of any type...

~Darren

eShine
10-31-2004, 09:40 PM
Darren, What I usually do when attacking swirls or marks is start with the lowest abrasive I think may do the job. If it works...great! If not I step it up. If I can think of a bare Minimum to have I would say Poorboys SSR1 and SSR2.5. They can both be used by hand. Also buff marks will be made by hand was easier than using a Porter Cable. The PC is a Random orbital as opposed to a rotary. Its rotary buffers you hear horror stories about. The problem with hand application is you can`t apply a steady even pressure over a good area. Most of the time one finger will apply more pressure than the other and cause swirls. To be honest I am very surprised someone who details as much as you doesn`t have one! You can still apply all your products by hand but have the PC there for the scuffs and scratches

stevet
10-31-2004, 10:52 PM
I found Scratch X to be useless on any thing but the mildest defects. When I work by hand I use the same compounds and polishes that I use with the PC.

3M Perfect it II Rubbing Compound (paste)

3M Perfect it III Rubbing Compound

3M Finesse it II Machine Polish

3M Perfect it III Machine Glaze

3M Perfect it II Swirl Mark Remover

These products are listed from most abrasive to least. I get very good results with these by hand. I always use a foam applicator to apply and a quality MF towel to remove.

DSVWGLI
10-31-2004, 10:56 PM
I use to use 1Z by hand with great results. Sounds like you could remove those with 1Z PP then finish with 1Z MP then your LSP. I would also use foam applicators and not rags by hand, that could be some of your problem. Good luck.

Accumulator
11-01-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by eShine

Accumulator, I agree that There are better products than Meguiars but it sounded like he wanted to get these products today. Being in Canada there is limited selection. I have used Meguiars #2 fine cut cleaner with great results on Black and dark cars...

I hope I didn`t come across as :nono your suggestion, I`ve just never had good results with #2 on b/c unless I used a rotary, it always left more micromarring than other products and I felt I was taking off more paint than I needed to by the time I finished the whole job. Also, I worry about recommending aggressive products to people who might not have a lot of experience, hence my concern.

SilverStallion- As eshine said, you`re *less* likely to get "buff marks" when using a PC/Cyclo than by hand. These machines will break down the products more effectively and often more uniformly. By hand, the only stuff I like to use is from 3M and 1Z, and even these work a lot better by machine.