PDA

View Full Version : I`ve got a screw loose.....

artm3
10-30-2004, 08:41 PM
Today I put my car (2001 BMW M3) on a lift and detailed the underside and wheel wells:

power washed

applied degreaser & soak

power washed again

removed all cosmoline (what a pain!)

off all plastic, aluminum, under body, suspension, wheel wells, etc.

washed with an old mitt w/simple green and hot water

power washed

It looked like new, better, no cosmoline, it shined.

The aluminum shined, I put tire dressing on all plastic, wheel wells, etc.

I took pictures, but they did not turn out, low battery!!!!

Took 3 hours. Usually just degrease/power wash 2 x per year, takes a 1/2 hr. The cosmoline removal took some time, but it`s done.

My wife says I need help..LOL...she`s always right!

1 Clean WS6
10-30-2004, 08:47 PM
Aaaaahhh you have found your home!!

You`ll see here that your behavior is the norm and that all the rest of them are the ones who need help!! :cool:

Beautiful Bimmer by the way....have any pics??

Bill D
10-30-2004, 08:48 PM
Nothing "scewy" at all about that! :D :up

I`m real surprised there was so much Cosmoline under there. Is this typical of BMWs?

MongooseGA
10-30-2004, 08:50 PM
What`s Cosmoline?

I`m guessing it`s a protective finish put on the underside of a body by factory/dealer?

saling4
10-30-2004, 09:06 PM
Sounds perfectly normal too me now.........A few months ago I would have thought you were a nut;) , but now I don`t see anything wrong at all. Heck, I just got some Meq`s Detailer car wash and you would have thought it was XMas.........:D

artm3
10-30-2004, 09:39 PM
Cosmoline is a wax or grease that is sprayed on for protection during transit. They put (or used to) it on weapons in the military, first thing you do, is clean it off.

It had a good bit, I think it`s common on German cars shipped by sea.

Attached is a pic, I`m a little disappointed I couldn`t get the under side ones!

:nixweiss

artm3
10-30-2004, 09:41 PM
Another of the engine bay, the under carriage looks just as good.

In the short amount of time I`ve been visiting, I`ve learned a lot of good stuff. Believe it or not I only bought MF stuff within the last 2 months. I was of the well used cotton towels, and diapers school til then!

The MF is so much better, easier and versitile.

Also the wipe on/wipe off Klasse SG method is great.

Thanks guys

Don
10-31-2004, 07:00 PM
I WISH I had a lift so I could clean my undercarriage properly :(

artm3
10-31-2004, 09:12 PM
You want to get spoiled? Try waxing a car on a lift. You can put it exactly where you want, get down low, easy, without bending!

With a little luck, I`ll be doing my own detailing at 70 yrs old, without a sore back! LOL

Don
11-01-2004, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by artm3

You want to get spoiled? Try waxing a car on a lift. You can put it exactly where you want, get down low, easy, without bending!

With a little luck, I`ll be doing my own detailing at 70 yrs old, without a sore back! LOL

The shop I used to work at (where the sickness really took hold) used a lift...the only drawback was we used those 10 ton GEM buffers.

jimmybuffit
11-01-2004, 05:41 AM
Owner`s Manual for the MB CLK55 AMG clearly states: "do not remove the engine wax."

That`s what looks like cosmoline...

Jim

artm3
11-01-2004, 06:17 PM
It was not on the engine, but all the suspension, under body cladding, mostly aluminum and plastic, very little on the body.

Did a search and at BMW`s CA Vehicle Prep Facility (VPC) they have a special under carriage drive through washing bay that removes it, must have missed mine, or don`t do it on the east coast.

http://323ci.net/vpc-done/pages/cosmoline-remover.htm