PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice - Peeled Paint & Rust - Safe to PC?

texas328ci
10-30-2004, 03:00 PM
OK, I was just rinsing off my wife`s mazda preparing to wash then clay then polish then wax, etc. As I was rinsing it down, I noticed a few areas of concern. I`m posting pics below.

My question is: I know it won`t fix the problems, but is it safe to polish over these areas, even with a PC?:nixweiss I planned on DACP, followed by #9 then AIO and SG.

PS - This car is our "beater" and I was just planning on detailing it for practice before moving on to my bimmer and friends` cars.

Here`s the first spot. It`s right in the middle of the hood, and there is rusting:

texas328ci
10-30-2004, 03:01 PM
Here`s the second spot. It`s right on the rear door handle area. It`s tough to see, but the paint is peeled off all the way to what looks like white plastic underneath:

texas328ci
10-30-2004, 03:02 PM
Here`s the third spot. It`s on the front plastic bumper, and the paint is peeled off down to what looks like black plastic underneath. Thanks for your help!!

dcswd
10-30-2004, 04:20 PM
One thing I would worry about is if anything sharp pointing up would damage the foam pad that your polishing with. That and if a piece of rust or a paint chip came off of the car and got stuck into the pad, and then you continued polishing with it elsewhere... thus scratching up other stuff.

Thats the main stufff I would worry about. Hope this makes sense :D

splattj
10-30-2004, 05:29 PM
Just mask the trouble areas. If a rough edge catches the foam pad not only could it get caught in the pad but it could take a rather large chunk of paint with it.