PDA

View Full Version : which removes swirls better 3m or megs 80?

andrew300
10-30-2004, 01:58 PM
well after searching i have seen that #80 removes light swirls but i am doing a car with rather medium swirls so i was thinking to pick up some 80 and i heard 3m or some product from them does a great job of removing swirls also so i might pick some of that up. anyone vouch for the 3m? i heard 83 from megs is good but i heard its hard to work with. if 80 doesnt work i plan to put a coat of some 3m or perhaps 83 and then 80 and then followed by 9. what you think?

Eliot Ness
10-30-2004, 02:22 PM
Both Meg`s #83 followed by #80 and 3M`s PI III RC (rubbing compound) followed by 3M PI III MG (machine glaze) have worked well for me. I would rate the 3M products as being my favorites and easier to work with.

Start out with either #80 or the MG and then move to #83 or RC only if needed. With time and a little experience you`ll be better able to judge how agressive a product/pad you`ll need to start out with. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Finishing up with #80 or MG you shouldn`t need #9, just go to your LSP

andrew300
10-30-2004, 02:51 PM
allright well ill pick up some 80 and 83. i will first try 80 with polishing pad and if that doesnt work then ill use a cutting pad and if that still doesnt work i will use 83 with a polish pad or if that doesnt work ill use the cutting pad. sorry for the runon sentence :) im sure that will take the swirl marks out right?

Eliot Ness
10-30-2004, 03:14 PM
Your process of starting out with the less aggressive product/pad and stepping up if needed is a very good practice.

#80 breaks down faster than #83, so work #80 until it changes color to clear (or sometimes pink). Work #83 at a fast pc speed, but with slow arm passes in small areas at a time. I get best results when I work it (#83) until it about all dusts away. Some stop right before that and buff off whatâ€â„¢s left with a MF.

If your swirls arenâ€â„¢t too severe then your plan should take care of them.

BluGas
10-30-2004, 04:26 PM
I just used 3M MG 39012 this week with a green sonus pad. I found the product easy to use and did an excellent job of removing swirls.

Brad B
10-31-2004, 05:19 PM
You can solve 90% of your paint defects with two products. 3M Finesse It II and 3M Swirl Mark Remover. Both are staples in my cabinet. Of the, literally, 25 different abrasives and compounds I have, these two are the "go-to" products.

3M makes their own products. Their consistency and quality are far superior to most on the market.

http://www.fototime.com/B52B98596B5C09B/standard.jpg

Bill D
10-31-2004, 05:26 PM
I generally like polishes without fillers with the rare exception of 1z which contains wax which I strip when done polishing any way. The 3m Perfect It III line seems to be good but since we`re all Autopians here two(plus) different kinds of "screwdrivers in the cabinet" is always better than one :D

MongooseGA
10-31-2004, 07:34 PM
I`m quite amazed at the stuff that 3M makes. The overhead projector in my math class is 3M. 3M makes shoes. 3M makes tape. 3M makes paint. 3M makes great polishes.

I have been told that PI III MG was very hard to use. Would you use it with a light polishing pad (a la Sonus blue pad) or a white polishing pad?

Eliot Ness
10-31-2004, 09:06 PM
I think both 3M PI III RC and MG are pretty easy to use, IMO easier than DACP. They are a little pricey, but they are very good products. I just use a regular polish pad, but if you`re cleaning up very minimal problems then the blue Sonus pad may work OK (I`ve not tried the Sonus pads yet).

stevet
10-31-2004, 11:19 PM
3M are my favorite compounds and polishes by far. I use and like

Perfect It II Rubbing Compound (paste)

Perfect It III Rubbing Compound

Finesse It II Machine Polish Finishing Material

Perfect It III Machine Glaze

Perfect It II Swirl Mark Remover

I would like to see 3M make a very fine non filling polish like Menzerna Final Polish. Right now the least abrasive non filling polish they have is Perfect III Machine Glaze.

Scottwax
10-31-2004, 11:34 PM
Either Meguiars or 3M will work fine. Both companies make great products.

I mostly use Meguiars though and I would recommend DACP and #80 in that order if the first attempt with #80 isn`t sufficient. Best thing about #80 is how well it breaks down. Looks like you just went over the car with #7.

Accumulator
11-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Manawar- If the #80 doesn`t work with a polishing pad, I`d go to a stronger polish rather than use a cutting pad. The #80 just isn`t a "cutting pad sort of product" IMO.

MongooseGA- I too find the MG easy to use. I`d generally use it with a "regular" polishing pad. IMO it`s just a *bit* aggressive for use with a very soft pad.

stevet- Yeah, a milder version of the MG would be great.

Glossequation
11-01-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Eliot Ness

I would rate the 3M products as being my favorites and easier to work with.

:up

audio1der
11-01-2004, 01:42 PM
At the auto-body suppliers I`ve checked with (I def. want to get my products in-town; no online ordering) 3M is 2x the price of Meg`s.

Is it really worth 2x the money??

I have a hard time thinking it would be. If Meg`s is pretty good, it`s got my vote.(I have yet to buy anything for next season- my vote can still be swayed)