PDA

View Full Version : Polish which nourish the paint

yoshishinya
10-30-2004, 07:14 AM
I have been practicing autopian on my cars for more than 2 years since I bought a 2002 Z24; but, I am still at loss which "polish" does "nourish" the paint (if that is how to put it in a word). The packaing for Meg`s polish/glaze says it "nourishes" the paint with oil which is part of the ingridient. Is it necessary to have "oil-rich" polish to nourish the paint (to prevent the paint from drying up over the course of months or years)? Or, can I just stick with AIO/SG combo (mostly SG since my car is a garage queen) or P21S paint cleaner/P21S wax (or other sealant/carnauba wax) combo? I feel AIO or P21S is not oily as Meg`s and I am curious to know if they help "nourish" the paint even though they are not oily. Is oiliness necessary for the polish/glaze?

Setec Astronomy
10-30-2004, 08:41 AM
Ah...the "trade secret" Meguiar`s polishing oils...I think most people on here consider them to be fillers, and would applaud your use of AIO/SG only, perhaps with a P21S topper...oh, and welcome to Autopia!! If you want info and opinions, you have come to the right place.

imported_mirrorfinishman
10-30-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by yoshishinya

Is it necessary to have "oil-rich" polish to nourish the paint (to prevent the paint from drying up over the course of months or years)?

No. I do not think you need to have an `oil rich` polish to keep your paint from drying up over the course of years. It sounds like the process and products you are using will do just fine.

Accumulator
10-30-2004, 01:06 PM
Yeah, don`t worry about nourishing the paint. That *is* a valid concern with older-tech paints but not with modern b/c. Today`s b/c paints really just need protection and very infrequent de-oxidizing.

Now if you have some old single-stage on something, that`s a different matter...

the other pc
10-30-2004, 01:19 PM
Unfortunately there is no universal definition for the word (noun) polish. When I become an evil overlord and iron-fisted despotic ruler of the human race I will have the word stricken from the English language.

Megs usually (but not always) means a product made up of Ãâ‚Å“nourishing oilsÃâ‚Â and microscopic fillers to add depth and improve gloss.

3M uses Ãâ‚Å“polishÃâ‚Â to mean a very fine abrasive for leveling minor surface defects. (What Megs calls a Ãâ‚Å“polishÃâ‚Â 3M calls a Ãâ‚Å“glazeÃâ‚Â, but then Megs calls them Ãâ‚Å“glazeÃâ‚Â also.:confused: )

Yet other companies sell products that say Ãâ‚Å“polishÃâ‚Â on the bottle but contain waxes (natural or synthetic) or polymer sealants.

And of course there are those products that say Ãâ‚Å“polishÃâ‚Â on the bottle but actually contain obnoxiously aggressive abrasives and should really be called a "compound".:eek:

Bottom line, when the bottle says Ãâ‚Å“polishÃâ‚Â read the label/directions/description carefully and make sure the product does what you are looking to do.

PC.