PDA

View Full Version : Wax for winter

Pages : [1] 2

Blackmirror
10-30-2004, 12:44 AM
Can someone recommend a good wax for winter that has durability without having to reapply it like every 3 weeks? And would you use a paste or liquid wax?

Scottwax
10-30-2004, 01:08 AM
Meguiars #16 Pro Paste Wax. Do a search on it and you will find it is pretty popular.

Collinite also has a reputation for durability.

ALAN81
10-30-2004, 07:04 AM
Either #16 from MEGS or COLLINITE (my choice)#476 or #845(liquid version of #476.Durability is around 5-7 months easy

BookemDano
10-30-2004, 08:34 AM
Have you thought about a sealant instead of a carnauba wax? Zaino Z5 or Z2, AIO, or Menzerna FMJ? I`ve got Z5 (2 coats) + Z2 (1 coat) on my Dolphin Grey (medium-dark grey) `02 Audi A4. Looks nice and provides great protection. Durability is tops.

Regards,

Dan.

RedondoV6
10-30-2004, 10:45 AM
My advice would be to buy a sealant, IMHO the two stand-out products with a proven record of superior durability are Zaino and Klasse. Either product would be a very good choice, for example, I`ve seen 6 layers of Zaino last for 9 months on a daily driver, parked outside 24/7. If you are determined to use a wax product, try looking at Collinite 476.

Just my 2 cents....

03COBRA
10-30-2004, 10:53 AM
I`m wondering the same thing. My gf`s truck is parked under a tree that is very low everyday. I can`t get any beading at all, even after a week. Is there anything I can do? Don`t mean to hijack the thread, some other people might be in my situation!

imported_nowaterno
10-30-2004, 11:02 AM
I have used 1Z Glanz for the last couple of years and like it for the combination of ease of application and durability. I put it on in October and it still looks good in April! Takes all of about an hour to do the whole car

imported_NYV6Coupe
10-30-2004, 02:58 PM
I`m trying 3 layers of Collinite #476s this winter.

Spilchy
10-30-2004, 03:59 PM
I use Collinite 476s. Much more durable than #16. I used it today on one car and will use it tomorrow on another car I am detailing. My three cars get it for the winter as well.

I also refinished my front door of my home. Sanded, stained and topped with 5 coats of marine grade polyurethane (put on 5 days apart). I wax my front door with Collinite 476s as well every few months.

ALAN81
10-31-2004, 11:46 AM
I have to disagree on the statement that Collinite is much more durable then#16...................I use Collinite(845,476) more then I use #16 but I really don`t see a major difference YES Colllinite is better but IMHO not by a real lot but that is just me

Accumulator
10-31-2004, 12:59 PM
Alan81- The 476S/#16 thing can be funny- I`ve had some vehicles where there was a *big* difference in durability and others where the two were sorta similar (but yeah, still a slight edge to Collinite). Maybe there`s some other factor at work (contamination, environment, wash, etc.) :nixweiss

Layering these waxes can be sorta tricky...the spit-shine method seems to help avoid disturbing the previous application. I`d still like to see/do a controlled comparo where half a hood is "layered" and the other half isn`t, but I never have a good test subject handy. The far-less-than-controlled tests :o I`ve done indicate that you *can* layer them. Additional applications a week apart on one panel lasted more than the one extra week before the beading dropped off. Yeah, I know about beading as in indicator ;)

s2skimon
10-31-2004, 04:07 PM
for winter i use NXT.. in the colder temps, I haven`t found anything else that goes on easy and comes off easy in those BRrrr Brrrr conditions :D

stevet
10-31-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Layering these waxes can be sorta tricky...the spit-shine method seems to help avoid disturbing the previous application.

You have to wonder just how durable a last step product is if you can remove it just by applying another layer on top of it. If a product can hold up to sun, rain, snow, etc, it should be able to hold up to another layer being applied.

If these products are so delicate that they can be removed simply by applying another layer how does anyone expect them to hold up to the abuse that cars are exposed to daily?

Accumulator
10-31-2004, 05:26 PM
SteveT- To be perfectly honest (and I was trying to *not* turn this into a :argue about layering, hence my "can be sorta tricky" :o ) IMO, yeah, you *can* layer many/most waxes just fine. As you imply, the solvent action of subsequent layers doesn`t compromise the previous one(s); the products hold up better than that. But for people who are convinced that it *is* a problem, the spit-shining should help allay their fears. And I do find that it works surprisingly well (i.e., there`s a discernable difference/improvement over "regular" application) with some waxes.

audipower
10-31-2004, 07:19 PM
NXT for store prod. Very much suggest AIO + SG. Nothing protects better!