PDA

View Full Version : Newbie PC Purchase

rockyram
10-29-2004, 12:18 AM
I`ve been detailing my black Ram QC 4x4 for 6 years now by hand.So I finally found out about the incredible PC.I`m going to order one from CarCare Smart (cus I live in the Great White North).I was going to get the set of 3 6.5" pads along with it.Is that enough for a complete detail or do I need more pads.On another note,the finish is in pretty good shape,still get compliments, but there is slight industrial overspray on the surface.I have clayed the paint a couple of times with the Mothers system but it did`nt take all of it out.Any advice on what products to use.I recently picked up some NXT and I have ordered #16 and Klasse AIO.I also have the use of a Makita 9227 rotary polisher through my work,but have no foam pads for it.Even though I am quite skilled with the Makita I am still leery about using it on my baby.BTW I work in the fibergass industry so I polish gel coats and acrylic.

Eliot Ness
10-29-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by rockyram

.......I was going to get the set of 3 6.5" pads along with it.Is that enough for a complete detail or do I need more pads...........there is slight industrial overspray on the surface.I have clayed the paint a couple of times with the Mothers system but it did`nt take all of it out.

The three LC pads are fine, but you may want to get an extra polish pad or two.

You may want to try a more aggressive clay to get the overspray off, or try something like mineral spirits on it (be sure to rinse it off well). You could also do a search on "overspray" or "paint overspray", etc. There have been several threads about it on here.

You may also want to use a mild polish to clean your paint up a bit; Meg`s #80 is a good product to use with a polish pad.

I wouldn`t use the rotary (Makita) on your truck unless you practice on an old hood or trunk lid from a junkyard first. It`s pretty easy to burn through clear coat if you`re not using the correct products, pads, and technique.