PDA

View Full Version : Noob`s first order, what do you think?

jackers
10-28-2004, 03:16 PM
I am new to the higher end of detailing. I purchased a 2003 Mustang Cobra a few months back and want to keep it beautiful and like new. Tell me, is there anything I may have missed, or another route you might have went. Thanks

jack

1Z Perls Gloss Shampoo

Sonüs Der Wunder Mitt

Clay Magic Perfect Finish Kit

Sonüs Dual-Action System

Foam Pads: Sonüs DAS Polisher Kit

P21S Carnauba Wax

Klasse ALL-IN-ONE

Sonüs Acrylic Glanz

Concours Buffing Towel x 3

Purple Passion Drying Towel Set

Sonüs Der Wunder Wasche

White95Max
10-28-2004, 03:21 PM
You`ll want to invest in a couple dozen MFs, at least.

I got mine from ExcelDetail.com and have been very satisfied.

BookemDano
10-28-2004, 03:48 PM
First, I agree with Paul - get more MF towels. Besides the drying towels (Big Blue drying towel from www.properautocare.com), I have three different categories of MF towels:

1. High-quality, final buffing towels for buffing out the LSP.

2. Medium-quality buffing towels for buffing off polish.

3. Lower quality, detailing towels for cleaning the interior, door jambs, wheels, etc.

I have four of category 1 for two LSPs (Zaino Z2 and Z5), about eight of category 2 for various compounds and polishes (Menzerna and 3M) and about twenty-five of the category 3.

Regarding category 3, you might want to check your local Costco or Sams club. I just bought sixteen decent quality, yellow, MF detailing towels for less then $11. They are similar in quality to my other category 3 detailing towels (Viper economy towels from www.properautocare.com), but cost much less.

For category 1 and 2 towels, I`d suggest a buying from a quality vendor (Autopia. properautocare, Wayne`s, etc.). For category 3, try Costco and Sams.

Second, regarding polishes... I didn`t see any in the list. Maybe I missed something. Menzerna IP and FPII are good ones. 3M and Einzett make good stuff too. Think about adding at least a medium-abrasive and a final polish.

Third, regarding drying... Consider a Toro 215Mph leaf blower to dry your car. It only takes about 2 minutes to dry my Audi A4 (with Zaino Z5) using the blower. When you finished, there are only a few drops of water on the car; you could dab up the final drops with a small detailing towel. Also, it does a great job of blowing water out of the cracks and crevices. And, the wheels are almost completely dry!

Best of luck,

Dan.

jackers
10-30-2004, 09:58 AM
I do have about 60 (yes 60) cheap microfiber towels from advanced auto. They come in three packs for 5 or 6 bucks. My paint polish comes with the poter-cable package I purchased. It is sonus paint restorer. Now I did order from Autopia store the 3 buffing microfiber towels. That should be plenty with the what I plan to do.

New question, how do you apply your final wax? Do you use the porter-cable or do you do it by hand. Also, how do you remove it?

jack

jackers
10-30-2004, 10:00 AM
I will also post pics as soon as I get my box of toys and have a chance to actually use it.

jack

MongooseGA
10-30-2004, 11:13 AM
W00t! My order is coming in any minute now! I`m so excited!

For the final wax:

Application: by hand; black/grey finishing pad.

Removal: By hand with one of your new Concourse towels; black/grey finishing pad (* as long as you didn`t it for application, because then you`re just reapplying it); MF buffing bonnet.

I`ve only ever used my bonnet once because it felt akward to me and I could never get the bonnet to fit correctly... go figure.

BTW, where in N.C. are you? I`m trying to schedule a mini detail day for people in VA/N.C.- if I`m able to fine a good relative location. There might be another member teaching how to use a rotary (he specializes in not burning his dad`s white lexus` paint ;) ) so it should be fun.

Anthony O.
10-30-2004, 01:45 PM
Jack,

That`s a pretty impressive list....and an expensive one also I reckon?

Are there any other products you have looked at and compared to those you have in your list? I am just curious as I personally could not make a profit if I bought the products you mentioned.

Anthony

Cam
10-30-2004, 01:58 PM
I`d personally get some Klasse SG to squeeze between the AIO and P21S. Actually, I did! :) Is there a particular reason you chose not to?