PDA

View Full Version : do you still detail in the cold?

III
10-27-2004, 07:34 PM
This probably is a no brainer as all of us on this site are considered not normal to our neighbors. However, when is it too cold for you to polish/wax? I won`t do a full detail on my vehicles during the winter, but I will do certain panels or sections that I feel need some attention. People rubbing up against the paint which has salt on it causes little scratches. If it`s 35 degrees or more I`ll polish or re-wax those nasty areas. However, I bought one of those kerosene torpedo heaters last year. I got my garage up to 55 degrees when it was 25 degrees out. All I can say is SWEET!!!!!!!!!

LDPaul
10-27-2004, 07:42 PM
Thank God I live in TEXAS!!! It gets a little cold, but I have done full details in 40 degree weather. Just have to watch using water on carpets - takes too long to dry!

TW85 HHI
10-27-2004, 07:56 PM
It rarely gets below 40º during the day in the dead of winter here, so yes, you will find me detailing the cars. Can`t say I am overly excited while washing but once I can pull into the relatively warm garage, it isn`t bad.

White95Max
10-27-2004, 09:20 PM
Last winter, I washed my car about every two days throughout the whole winter. Yes, I washed it at home, by myself, with water, in the non-heated garage.

How?

I have a 1 car garage, so the car takes up about 1/2 of the garage. It`s nice to have that small garage when you try to warm the garage. Here`s what I did.

I would drive the car around for 15-20 minutes before washing it. Crank the heat up for the first 75% of the driving to get the cabin really hot, then turn the heat off for the last couple minutes to let the engine bay get hot again. Then I drive in the garage, close the door, and open all doors and the hood. This lets most of the heat out into the garage so it warms it up.

In addition, I use warm water with car soap to wash the car, so my hands don`t get too cold. If you work fast, and turn on a bunch of lights, you can get some added heat that way too.

Last winter I broke my own record...the coldest day that I washed my car............3 degrees F.

It was a cool 26 degrees in the garage when I was finished. Not warm by any means, but 26 is better than 3!

Just have to wash one small section at a time to avoid the water freezing on the car. Dry right away. And I usually go through a dozen towels each wash to make sure I`m not rubbing dirt and/or salt back on the next panel.

Scottwax
10-27-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by rlspringer

Thank God I live in TEXAS!!! It gets a little cold, but I have done full details in 40 degree weather. Just have to watch using water on carpets - takes too long to dry!

I hear ya Rick....unfortunately! It is either work and freeze or starve in the winter and as much as I despise the cold, it is better than starving.

I`ve done full details with temps in the low 30s and 20mph+ winds.

imported_mirrorfinishman
10-28-2004, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by III

... when is it too cold for you to polish/wax?

When you begin to wash your car and notice that the water is beginning to freeze on the surface, then it is too cold to polish and wax. That will usually happen when the temps are somewhere between 28 and 32 degrees. However, as long as the water does not begin to freeze during the wash, then you should be okay.