PDA

View Full Version : Poorboys SSR2

top_caty
10-27-2004, 06:52 PM
I was wondering what people thought about Poorboys Swirl Remove (SSR2)? Is this the best product to remove swirl marks by hand?

Also what is the best method to apply it?

Thanks,

III
10-27-2004, 07:21 PM
I just used this product 3 days ago on my black silverado for the first time. I applied it by hand. I didn`t notice any micro marring and it looked like I could have gone directly from the ssr2 to a sealant or wax. However, just to be safe I used ssr1 after the ssr2 followed by pwc. I didn`t do the entire truck, but only a panel. I would say that a pc or rotary would be the best way to apply it, but hand use is ok for me. I`m sure someone might get better/quicker results if using a pc or rotary.

Is this the best product to remove scratches with? Are you talking about within the poorboy`s lineup or just in general? I would have to say that within the ssr line up yes. However, I`m hearing mixed opinions on 2.5. Some people say it`s too agressive for hand use. I can`t tell you as I`ve never used it. In general I don`t know. There are tons of products out there that will do the job that you`re looking for. I only have experence with the poorboy`s ssr`s and some of the meguiar`s.

vdog0531
10-27-2004, 07:39 PM
i havn`t used it by hand, but by rotary it worked great.

Vernon

imported_beemerboy
10-27-2004, 07:52 PM
If you are using it by hand work in small area such as 12 x12 inches so that you can get good pressure. I would follow SSR2 with SSR1 on black of its not been done in a while. Then off the P-w-C to finish. Its what I do on my black BMW

top_caty
10-27-2004, 07:52 PM
Sounds like it could be what I am looking for. There`s so many products on the market, I`ve heard that meguiars ScratchX is good for hand application but wasn`t sure what to go for.

I was planning on using ssr2, then Autoglym Resin, followed by P21S. Is there any thing I am missing?

btw. If anyone has found a better product please post :)

top_caty
10-27-2004, 08:22 PM
Pretty new to all this so why is SSR1 worth using after SSR2? also whats P-w-C?

Thanks

Lowejackson
10-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Sonus Paint Work Cleaner?

I would add the Extra Gloss before the P21S wax

top_caty
10-27-2004, 08:49 PM
ahh not heard of Sonus Paint Work Cleaner before. Will go and have a hunt on the web and see what I can find out about it.

At the moment, this is my plan:

1) Wash

2) Clay

3) Poorboys SSR 2

4) Autoglym Super Resin

5) Poorboy`s EX-P

6) P21S (If I don`t like the finish from EX-P)

How does that sound? Am I missing anything important

imported_beemerboy
10-27-2004, 08:53 PM
What I posted for Poorboys was polish with carnuba that goes well with SSR line up

top_caty
10-28-2004, 06:26 AM
Do I need to apply the Autoglym Resin after SSR2? I beleive that SSR2 has polish in it as well so should I drop the Resin?

Also will the SSR2 work well enough by hand to remove the scratches? I wont be using a PC so it will be lots of elbow grease. I`m just concerned that SSR2 wont remove the scratches and just fill them.....

Advice?

III
10-28-2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by top_caty

Do I need to apply the Autoglym Resin after SSR2? I beleive that SSR2 has polish in it as well so should I drop the Resin?

Also will the SSR2 work well enough by hand to remove the scratches? I wont be using a PC so it will be lots of elbow grease. I`m just concerned that SSR2 wont remove the scratches and just fill them.....

Advice?

It can`t hurt to use the autoglym resin after ssr2, but you might find that it`s not needed. Try it and find out.

I believe that ssr2 will work well for the scratches. Yes, you might have to do multiple applications since you`re doing it by hand.

top_caty
10-28-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by III

Yes, you might have to do multiple applications since you`re doing it by hand.

Would I need to leave a few hours between applications or just go over it straight away? Also is the best way to apply it in straight lines or in small overlapping circles?

III
10-28-2004, 11:16 AM

Would I need to leave a few hours between applications or just go over it straight away? Also is the best way to apply it in straight lines or in small overlapping circles?

No need to wait. Just keep going over the area that you`re working on until you see the results you want. Remember that depending on the scratch ssr2 might not get them completly out since you`re doing this by hand. I`m sure you won`t have a problem though. Let the product do the work.

You just opend up a whole new topic with regards to straight lines or circular. Why do some people prefer straight lines? Because if any marring or scratches get put into the paint when buffing it`s less noticable. I always use circular movements when applying everything by hand, but straight when removing. My opinion is this: A rotary and a pc use circular movements, so why should I apply in a straight line? Make no sense to me. Bottom line though is do what works for you and what you feel comfortable with. Hope this helps.

top_caty
10-28-2004, 06:19 PM
Thanks a lot for all the advice. Its really helpful :)

Whats he best thing to apply SSR2 with? A Microfibre cloth or something else?

Thanks

III
10-29-2004, 06:31 AM

Whats he best thing to apply SSR2 with? A Microfibre cloth or something else?

Depends on what type of cutting action you want. I would start with a foam applicator pad and see what type of results you get.

If the scratch still remains step up to a microfiber or terry cloth applicator pad. Using the microfiber or the terry will give you just a little more bite with the ssr2. The terry cloth will give you the most bite. Remember, always try and start with the least agressive approach possible. This applies with any polishing product.